Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

How to help a friend

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-18, 06:23 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
How to help a friend

I have a friend who is a clyde, and having listened to my experiences of biking to work (multi-modal for me), has asked if I could help him pick out a bike so he can do the same. I've convinced him that biking is possible, even for him.

He's going to go to a bike shop, to try out some bikes, to see what style he might like, but has a limited budget so wants to see if he can get a used bike if at all possible. Budget is maybe $300.

His situation: He is 300+, 6'3". He can walk 3 miles, and his commute would be 5 miles, and flat. He has access to a shower at work, and flexible hours.

I have assured him that there are bikes that will support him, but the most important question is what fits and feels comfortable to him.

He told me to find him a bike, and he would buy it, which I won't do, but I want to do what I can.

1. What suggestions for bikes should I pass along? My thoughts were: steel mountain bike/hybrid, 2" tires, 32 spoke rims.
2. I will ride with him on a weekend to see how he does, and help him plan the route.
3. I will see that he gets hooked up with a good bike shop; I trust myself to do my own maintenance, but feel he would be best with a shop as needed.

I mentioned this forum, but haven't (yet) gotten him to check it out. What else can I pass along, and what else can I do to support him?
Old 05-05-18, 07:50 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I would not recommend a mountain bike for what your friend wants to do. Plenty of decent hybrid options that are better.

as for wheels, for 300 lbs plus, I would suggest a 36 spoke back wheel. 32 spoke front wheel should be ok as long as he rides carefully and doesn't jump off any curbs, but honestly, I would just go for 36 spokes, front and back. If the bike he picks doesn't come stock, he can buy one, or have the shop build a wheel or wheelset for him.

$300 budget is too low for a new bike. He needs to up the budget at least to $500, especially given the need for heavier duty wheels, or wheel.

If he is buying used, he might find a lightly used bike that retailed for $500 to $700 a few years ago. Happens all the time. People buy new bikes all the time only to find out they don't really have the time, or they don't like it. So after a few rides, the bike hangs up in a garage or basement until the original owner needs the space and puts it up for sale.

Beyond that, I would say stay away from suspension forks. And given your friend's weight, stay away from entry level models. Look to buy at least one or two steps up from entry level. It will hold up better over the long run.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-05-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 11:32 AM
Arvadaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For that low of a budget, used would be your best bet. I would look for mid to upper end, early 90’s, rigid mountain bike.

If you know what to look for in a quality bike and can recognize one in good condition. I would the remaining money in his budget to get the bike tuned up, replace expendables, and get about 2” slick or city tires on it.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Arvadaman; 05-06-18 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 11:47 AM
Arvadaman

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, stay away from 700c wheel bikes for the time being. Stick with 26” wheels at his weight.

My weight is the same as his. I broke spokes in a 700c wheel two weeks ago. In my 26” wheeled bikes, I have not had to replace a spoke in over 5+ years of continuous riding.

Go with 26” wheels with 36 spike MTB wheels.

He can save for a better bike if he enjoys it and loses weight. Then maybe something with 700c wheels when he is lighter.
Old 05-08-18, 10:36 AM
NewATBikeComute

Thanks all for your advice, especially about going for the 36 spoke wheels. Makes sense. Going to check out the bike shop late this week, or early next. There's also a consignment sale coming up that might have a good selection.
Old 05-08-18, 11:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Arvadaman
For that low of a budget, used would be your best bet. I would look for mid to upper end, early 90’s, rigid mountain bike.
+1. Trek made some bombproof mountain bikes of that vintage. Maybe look for something in the 800 or 900 series. In '91 or '92 I bought a Trek 930 rigid to get around town. I abused the bejeebus out of that thing for at least two decades and it rarely complained. Finally left it out in the alley, top tube dent, bent rear rim and all, the night before trash day when I no longer wanted it. It was gone in a few hours.
Old 05-08-18, 11:15 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
here's a good used bike setup in your area, https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...566822464.html

Pros to 700c wheels they are everywhere and sold from 16spokes to 48 spokes and HUGE tire selection from slicks to knobby for dirt/gravel, roll faster farther w/ less effort. aka more miles with less effort

Pros to 26" is stronger but not indestructible, CONs, harder/impossible to find rim brake wheelset when they do fail, limited "slick" tire selections, takes more effort to cover miles 18% rolling diameter difference.

a awesome budget wheel that gets great reviews $180 + shipping
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...-vl-chd11-base

happy hunting, tell your buddy to get a helmet that is comfy to wear, adjustable and lighter with more vents.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-08-18, 11:34 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone

happy hunting, tell your buddy to get a helmet that is comfy to wear, adjustable and lighter with more vents.
+OMGSOMUCH on the helmet. Have him get one and wear one. It's important -- DAMHIK
Old 05-09-18, 01:25 PM
NewATBikeComute

Talked to my friend this morning; he has decided that his budget might stretch further than he stated initially; long-story-short version is that he visited not one, but two bike shops, and is thinking about Trek Verve; one shop has the Verve 2, one has the Verve 3.

Well! It's his budget, and I gave him the pros/cons for new vs. used, hope he is making the decision that fits him, and works for him. Actually, it's probably the best move; only reason I was helping him sort out the used market was what he put out for budget.

Next step: closing the deal, whichever way he decides, and going out together for a few fun rides.

Thanks all for the advice. jisgone, that is a nice bike and if he balks at the Trek, might check it out. indy, I have an 850 series Trek that I am using as a commuter now, and they just don't quit, (as long as you do the regular maintenance, of course).
Old 05-09-18, 01:59 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good for him, but please have him curb expectations. I started around that weight and 10-15 minute rides were enough at first. Too much too quickly will make him hate it. Also, stock saddles suck and are exponentially worse the more one weighs.
Old 05-10-18, 08:10 AM
NewATBikeComute

Any good saddle recommendations, other than trial and error.?

Not trying to start another endless saddle discussion, but at almost half his weight, I would have no clue what to suggest.

Old 05-10-18, 08:37 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute
Any good saddle recommendations, other than trial and error.?
As you likely know, the butt seems to leather up on its own the more one rides. At weight the discomfort of that "leathering up" process magnifies. At first it didn't really matter what saddle I used ... it hurt. (my butt threw in the towel way before my legs or lungs) Early on, I got a padded saddle cover and it helped a bit ... maybe it was a placebo effect). Learning to sit back farther on the saddle helped too. Assure him, it gets better. Eventually I got a Brooks ... now ride daily and tour on it without padded shorts.

Hope this helps him
Old 05-11-18, 07:55 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bike purchased. Verve2, with money 'saved' going towards helmet that fit, and lights. Discovered that getting a large frame bike into a car is more difficult than a medium frame bike; quick lesson (by bike shop!) on how to disassemble front/rear wheel, and put back on was well presented, and appreciated.

Bike shop gave same advice mentioned here about 36 spoke being better, but at some cost. Decision was to start with 32, and upgrade if necessary.

I did pull up the link provided by jsigone, and we discussed pros and cons, but his comfort level was higher with going new. Thanks all for the input.

Last edited by NewATBikeComute; 05-11-18 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-11-18, 08:08 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute
Bike purchased. Verve2, with money 'saved' going towards helmet that fit, and lights. Discovered that getting a large frame bike into a car is more difficult than a medium frame bike; quick lesson (by bike shop!) on how to disassemble front/rear wheel, and put back on was well presented, and appreciated.

Bike shop gave same advice mentioned here about 36 spoke being better, but at some cost. Decision was to start with 32, and upgrade if necessary.

I did pull up the link provided by jsigone, and we discussed pros and cons, but his comfort level was higher with going new. Thanks all for the input.
Sensibly spec'd bike. time will tell if the back wheel holds up. If not,buy or build a 36 spoke wheel. The only other thing I would change on that bike is the suspension seatpost. It probably won't work well with a 300 lb person. So I would replace with a standard seatpost. Frankly, I don't understand why they do that. The bike has huge high volume tires, which should soak up bumps just fine.

As for the saddle, those are personal. I use a Brooks, and wouldn't use anything else. But even with that, if I am off the bike for a long time, I feel sore after an hour or two or of riding, until my butt hardens up again.
Old 05-11-18, 08:57 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 2015 Verve II and I weigh north of 260. For a heavy person, the wheels need to be tensioned properly. Mine weren't and after a couple of weeks I started breaking spokes to the tune of a spoke a week. After three weeks, the dealer replaced the Bontrager wheel with this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LY4OWU...v_ov_lig_dp_it

and (at my insistence) tensioned it properly at 65/105 kg and trued it.

I have about 2000 mi. on the Verve (I now ride the Randonee I bought a year later) and the wheel is still true and had no broken spokes.

It is imperative that the wheel is properly tensioned when the rider is heavy. I have 5700 mi. on my Randonee, with the wheels tensioned properly from Day 1 and the wheels are still true and no broken spokes.