Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

100 test miles on '73 Paramount P13v2 repair so far....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

100 test miles on '73 Paramount P13v2 repair so far....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 06:07 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
88ss since you are not a fan of Uniglide cassettes, let me know if you want to make a trade for the hub and the cassette (whatever is left of it) for a freewheel to fit your Record rear hub.

Do you have a specific brand of crankset in 175mm (I'm certain I don't have any 180mm in the spares) in mind? Double or triple?

P.S. It's great to see this thread has gotten back on track!
Bob, I plan on putting 175mm or 180mm Campagnolo cranks on the bike that are an older 70s style. The only freewheel I would be interested in would be one with a 16-tooth high and a 21-tooth low, such as 16,17,18,19,21. The Shimano Uni-Glide hubs and cassette are complete with skewers. I don't see any real good identifying marks on them except maybe a "60". It seems like Shimano wanted them to look like Campy Record hubs, right down to the clip covering an oil-hole. Also I am guessing the 6-speed cassette is a real oddball, maybe only sold one or two years before going to 7-speed. I did not count the teeth on the uni-glide cassette, but it looks like a pretty standard road spread, not close-ratio racing setup.
Old 10-13-23, 03:39 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
Bob, I plan on putting 175mm or 180mm Campagnolo cranks on the bike that are an older 70s style. The only freewheel I would be interested in would be one with a 16-tooth high and a 21-tooth low, such as 16,17,18,19,21. The Shimano Uni-Glide hubs and cassette are complete with skewers. I don't see any real good identifying marks on them except maybe a "60". It seems like Shimano wanted them to look like Campy Record hubs, right down to the clip covering an oil-hole. Also I am guessing the 6-speed cassette is a real oddball, maybe only sold one or two years before going to 7-speed. I did not count the teeth on the uni-glide cassette, but it looks like a pretty standard road spread, not close-ratio racing setup.
I can easily build a Suntour Perfect or ProCompe that is 16-17-18-19-21. However, be aware that when I've tried to run a similar freewheel on my P13 (16-24), the 16T was too close to the chain stay and the chain rubbed. This is using HiE hub spaced at 120mm. Just be aware of this possibility and there might be a need to start with a 15T. I'll build one over the weekend.

However, I did have success running a 17-38 Ultra spaced 6-speed Perfect on my P13 when I participated in a race up a mountain in NH. It was on a Campy high flange 120mm hub.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-13-23, 05:17 AM
88ss

I can easily build a Suntour Perfect or ProCompe that is 16-17-18-19-21. However, be aware that when I've tried to run a similar freewheel on my P13 (16-24), the 16T was too close to the chain stay and the chain rubbed. This is using HiE hub spaced at 120mm. Just be aware of this possibility and there might be a need to start with a 15T. I'll build one over the weekend.

However, I did have success running a 17-38 Ultra spaced 6-speed Perfect on my P13 when I participated in a race up a mountain in NH. It was on a Campy high flange 120mm hub.
I am mostly interested in having gears I can pull on the level, and two of my bikes have a 53t big front and it seems the smallest rear that is of any use to me is maybe a 15t at my age. Solo I can go 22mph for some miles on a good day, but I am guessing next spring after slacking off during the winter I will be down from that speed quite a bit and will need different gearing that I use right now. I am going to take a ride on a 6-speed bike today with a 53t front and a 21t low on the back, I will note what gears feel good on the level.
Old 10-13-23, 10:43 AM
88ss

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
You lost me when you “taunt “ folks who are at Starbucks to get coffee. These are folks who are probably in automobiles ….you are on a bicycle. The very place you decide to use for the photo op. Nice bike though , shame on the direction of the thread.
You mean the direction of the thread where people like you talk about anything but the subject at the start of the thread, you mean like that? And as far as being lost goes, it is probably a chronic problem for you. Unless you learn to find your way out of a paper-bag, you are going to spend your life there, so I am not going to show you the way out. Good luck and welcome to my ignore list.........
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-13-23, 01:15 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,757 Times in 966 Posts
You mean the direction of the thread where people like you talk about anything but the subject at the start of the thread, you mean like that? And as far as being lost goes, it is probably a chronic problem for you. Unless you learn to find your way out of a paper-bag, you are going to spend your life there, so I am not going to show you the way out. Good luck and welcome to my ignore list.........
Lets see, who brought the subject of coffee and Starbucks into the thread. Lol

Oh, and by the way, I do not drink coffee and would never spend a dime at Starbucks. The Starbucks I took this photo at is one on a regular route I ride, and often as I ride by the line of SUVs etc. lined up in it's drive-through I will taunt them with "Starbucks is for losers" etc.. What Starbucks does have to offer is a generic backdrop for a photograph that can not be associated with any particular part of the USA or world for that matter, because they are all over like the plague, which they actually are......

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 10-13-23, 04:08 PM
88ss

I had a Suntour in the garage with a 15T low and I threw it on with the Campy hubbed wheels and yes the chain is close to the seat-stay, but it is the Uniglide chain off the parts bike and it seems to be wider than many other chains, it has what appears to be scoops on the side almost, I will put a vernier caliper on it when I get a chance and see how wide it is. But the bike is working great with the Suntour, I think it is a Perfect, and it's ratios are closer than standard, I think 15,17,19, 21,24 maybe. I have another freewheel of the same brand and model but it has a bit different gearing so an 18t is in there, maybe it is a 14,16.18, 21, 24 or something like that. They are freewheels for the old and amateurs, I am both.
Old 10-13-23, 04:12 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Enough, this thread has been a bone of contention all week. Closed.
Likes For BillyD: