Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why singlespeed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 07:33 PM
RetroSteel
Fully lugged in

Bikes: 1969 Carlton Continental 531 / Nervex, 1987 Atala Aelle, 1989 Scapin Atec, 1990 Faggin Aelle, 2012 Planet-X Kaffenback, 2012 Bob Jackson Olympus 631, 2012 One-One Scandal MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at my 30 gear carbon monocock $7000 spacebike! I'm called Simon, I'm 34 and I'm a finacial anaylsts for a major US retailer!! look at me! looooooook at me on my money machine and you on your lowly steel errand bike, how can you win on that? - I always listen out for a sneer remark when i pass a heard of these type of blokes on their club run..and it usually happens. I don't see why its rebelion though..i mean its just a bike so why does it upset them?
Old 12-09-04, 01:19 PM
harryhood

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajkloss42
So, to summarize:

1. Fixies may help you identify and correct some problems with your technique. I belive that they can cause some too.

2. You can purchase and maintain a high-quality fixed drivetrain for a lot less money and time than a multispeed freewheel drivetrain.

3. They're fun.
ok, i'm going to use your logic on your own points about fixed.

1. That's also do-able on a geared bike. How is that unique to fixed?
2. That's also do-able on a geared bike. How is that unique to fixed?
3. That's also do-able on a geared bike. How is that unique to fixed? Furthermore, how can one prove that riding fixed is actually "fun"? Getting access to the equipment not to mention the astronomical cost of using the laboratory to measure "fun" would be quite impractical. Then, there's still the problem of getting riders on their basal neurotransmitter levels while the experiment is being done. Since this process is such a big ordeal and no one would actually go through with the fixed-fun-o-meter, this point about fixies is completely moot.

so, if your counter to every point is "That's also do-able on a geared bike," then i think maybe you are in the wrong forum (?).
Old 12-09-04, 01:24 PM
46x17
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harryhood
Getting access to the equipment not to mention the astronomical cost of using the laboratory to measure "fun" would be quite impractical. Then, there's still the problem of getting riders on their basal neurotransmitter levels while the experiment is being done. Since this process is such a big ordeal and no one would actually go through with the fixed-fun-o-meter, this point about fixies is completely moot.
Absolutely!

"It would be a pain costing far more than a set of bars!"
Old 12-09-04, 01:46 PM
ajkloss42
The 'net ruined cycling

Bikes: Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harryhood
so, if your counter to every point is "That's also do-able on a geared bike," then i think maybe you are in the wrong forum (?).
If you're accusing me of believing that choosing fixed or freewheel/multispeed is essentially a matter of taste I think I'm guilty. My gripe is when someone says "I like fixed over freewheel because of X", where you can replace with X with something that has very little, if anything, to do with the differences in the drivetrains.
Old 12-09-04, 02:37 PM
46x17
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but you are also calling ******** on x-es that are not replaceable with something that has very little, if anything, to do with the differences in the drivetrains.
Old 12-09-04, 03:37 PM
ajkloss42
The 'net ruined cycling

Bikes: Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 46x17
but you are also calling ******** on x-es that are not replaceable with something that has very little, if anything, to do with the differences in the drivetrains.
That is the assertion we've been discussing forever. I think I've made my thoughts about things that are typically attributed to fixed-gear that I don't think are accurate. If you'd like to go back to work debunking those ideas, go ahead, but can we please stop the meta-discussing?