Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Metric Century used to be called 62 miles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Metric Century used to be called 62 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 04:38 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
[QUOTE=cyccommute;20407639]
Originally Posted by desconhecido
20 m/h ? First, the abbreviation of "mile" is "mi." so as not to be confused with meter.

Just using your units.
Yeah, you got me.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
You realize that this statement is highly offensive. "Girls" can be and are excellent scientists and engineers.
No, I don't know that it's highly offensive to women. Women, and young women, can be scientists and engineers just like men and there appears to be no natural impediment and there should be no social impediment. I neither said nor implied anything to the contrary.

You did because you insist that kilometer per hour isn't metric. It's not part of the SI system but it is a useful measure of speed.
To recognize that hour is not a metric unit and that it is not derived from SI is not to imply that km/h is not a useful unit nor is it to imply that we should only use m/s for speed and velocity

As for your unnecessary pedogogy about precision, You are correct that it has to do with context. If you go down to the meat market and order two pounds of ground beef, do you say, "I'd like two point zero pounds of ground beef"? If you order "two pounds of ground beef" do you find it acceptable if you receive 1.6# of ground beef? If you call up a headset salesman and order a 1" headset, do you believe that it's the same as ordering a 3 cm headset? Will it be acceptable to receive a 1 1/8" headset? Well, you know the answer to all those questions. Just like you know the precision that is implied when someone says that 1" is equal to 2.54 cm or when someone says that 3.6 km/h is the same as 1 m/sec. Why you desired to lead us down this trivial and silly path, only you can answer. For following, all I can do is apologize.
Old 06-22-18, 04:44 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
But how many knots are you averaging?
Old 06-22-18, 07:00 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
It is actually a problem - but you are looking into the wrong unit. Kilometer is not a problem, hour is a problem. And not because it is not metric somehow - it is a problem because time measurement system is not decimal-based on units higher than second. We have perfectly good smaller time units: second, millisecond, microsecond etc. But we don't have ones of the higher capacity, like decasecond, hectosecond, kilosecond, megasecond etc., we use extremely antique time measures that use sexagecimal-based (base 60) numbering system which originated around 2000 BC. So far, no one was brave enough to introduce a complete time overhaul.
This point is not lost on me and why I have no problem thinking of kph as a defacto metric measurement.

The problem is that when viewed from a scientific POV it may not fall into what scientifically might be considered a strictly metric definition but road speeds are not intended to be used for scientific purposes by scientists. They are ball park limits (usually in gradations of 5-10) set for the average man using gross measuring instruments like wrist watches and speedometers.. From that POV kph is a metric measure. Arguing otherwise is falling into the trap of using one set of definitions to define something in a realm where those parameters don't apply. Like arguing for the use of proper grammar and punctuation in text messages sent by smart phones.
Old 06-25-18, 07:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
[QUOTE=desconhecido;20407678]
As for your unnecessary pedogogy about precision, You are correct that it has to do with context. If you go down to the meat market and order two pounds of ground beef, do you say, "I'd like two point zero pounds of ground beef"? If you order "two pounds of ground beef" do you find it acceptable if you receive 1.6# of ground beef? If you call up a headset salesman and order a 1" headset, do you believe that it's the same as ordering a 3 cm headset? Will it be acceptable to receive a 1 1/8" headset? Well, you know the answer to all those questions. Just like you know the precision that is implied when someone says that 1" is equal to 2.54 cm or when someone says that 3.6 km/h is the same as 1 m/sec. Why you desired to lead us down this trivial and silly path, only you can answer. For following, all I can do is apologize.
You completely missed my point. You are the one who castigated everyone for not being extremely precise about usage of the "metric" system. Yes, the hour is not part of the metric system but it is still a useful unit of measure. But if you are going to be pedantic about people using kilometers per hour and calling it a violation of the metric system, then why aren't you equally pedantic about the precision of measurements? It wasn't the 29.33 feet that was the problem, it was the "about". That level of precision is not called for unless you stipulate what it is that you are attempting to measure.

Look at it this way: If 20 mi./h is "about" 29.33 feet/sec what is "exactly" 20 mi./h? 29.333 feet/sec? 29.3333 feet/sec? If I were to call up someone and ask for a 1" headset, I would expect a certain level of precision to be involved and implied. A measurement out to at least a couple of decimal places is implied because of the fit. But if I were to call up the "headset salesman" and ask for a headset that is about 1 inch, I shouldn't be surprised if I received something entirely different from what I was expecting. Again, "about" is the problem.

Finally, I'm going to go back and address your comment about this being "junior high physics". First, I don't know of anywhere that teaches physics in junior high. Physics when I was a kid back in the Pleistocene was a high school level class. Second, I wasn't taught significant figures until I reached college level chemistry and even then it was a fairly difficult concept to grasp. I see a lot of highly educated engineers and chemists who struggle with it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-25-18, 07:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
This point is not lost on me and why I have no problem thinking of kph as a defacto metric measurement.

The problem is that when viewed from a scientific POV it may not fall into what scientifically might be considered a strictly metric definition but road speeds are not intended to be used for scientific purposes by scientists. They are ball park limits (usually in gradations of 5-10) set for the average man using gross measuring instruments like wrist watches and speedometers.. From that POV kph is a metric measure. Arguing otherwise is falling into the trap of using one set of definitions to define something in a realm where those parameters don't apply. Like arguing for the use of proper grammar and punctuation in text messages sent by smart phones.
As a scientist, I don't always follow the rules laid out by the various societies that have attempted to bring some order to the chaos. In a published paper, I will usually use the proper units but not always. Pressure is one of the ones that I see most commonly. Most people will use PSI in common conversation and even day to day because that is what they are used to working with. They have a "feel" for what 100 PSI, for example, seems like. Much like the second, there are just too many pascals (689,000) in 100 PSI to think about.

Chemical names are another issue. 2-Methoxyphenol tells me everything I need to know about the compound guaiacol and it is easier to spell but people still use guaiacol even 40 years after I first ran across it because people know what guaiacol is but they have to think about what 2-methoxyphenol is.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-21-20, 11:10 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
Yep, real head scratcher there.
Well that was a helluva thing to quote and call me back here for
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 04-22-20, 02:13 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I, too, was in school when we started switching to metric so I'm pretty comfortable with either. I don't what Canadian currency was like but I'll bet you didn't have to cope with a stupid system where there were 12 pennies in a shilling, 20 shillings in a pound or 21 shillings in a guinea. And then the stupid UK government decided they didn't want to bid farewell to their precious Pound Sterling so the new system also used pennies and pounds, changing the symbol for penny from 'd' to 'p' so we all went around referring to the new penny as 'pee' to distinguish it from the old penny. So if visitors to England wonder why we refer to, eg, '50 pee' rather than '50 pence' that's the reason. It still annoys me 48 years on.

Of course, we didn't make a nice clean break with Imperial either, so our road signs still have miles marked on them and while the weight of almost everything is now in kg we still tend to refer to our personal weight in stones and pounds - a stone is 14 pounds for those who aren't familiar with this ridiculous system, and there are 8 stone or 112 pounds to a hundredweight and 20 hundredweight, or 2,240 pounds, to a ton. But that's so confusing that we also have a short hundredweight which actually is 100 pounds, leading to a short ton of 2,000 pounds. And the problem with that is that a long ton is actually very close in weight to a metric tonne. I also grew up with Fahrenheit but was very happy to abandon that utterly bonkers system.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 04-22-20, 04:01 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
From the aspect the overwhelming majority of the population uses temperature for, the weather outside, F is gradiented (is that a word?) far better. 0 is pretty cold, 100 is pretty hot, most everything else falls in between in a nice linear aspect. Quite a bit more intuitive than 0 being somewhat cold, 40 being pretty hot, and spending the majority of my winter under that scale and the summers tying to figure out exactly what to wear in the 10-25 range
The same you'd wear in the 50-77 Fahrenheit range?
Old 04-22-20, 06:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
When the countries around the world converted to metric.
Interestingly, many of us have SAE wrench sets from back in the day, working on our American muscle cars. Now, those wrenches are relegated to plumbing duty only. If you do a lot of plumbing work, you find inch measurements. But you don't find much lead pipe.

Gunsmithing finds as many SAE small fasteners as metric, maybe slightly more.

In automotive work, you still find torque values are equally likely in foot- or inch-pounds as they are in N-m.
Old 04-22-20, 06:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Oh, how sweet it would be to only have one set of wrenches and sockets.
Old 04-22-20, 06:58 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I don't what Canadian currency was like but I'll bet you didn't have to cope with a stupid system where there were 12 pennies in a shilling, 20 shillings in a pound or 21 shillings in a guinea.
AFAIK, Canadian currency has always been decimal based, although they did have oversize pennies for a while. And England's old base-12 currency makes sense when you consider that 12 is evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4, and 6 while 10 is only evenly divisible by 2 and 5. But I can't explain the "guinea."

Full disclosure: I did live in England with my grandparents for a while in the mid-60s, before the change to decimal currency.

Of course, we didn't make a nice clean break with Imperial either, so our road signs still have miles marked on them
You can still find non-metric highway signs is rural areas of Canada as well.
Old 04-22-20, 08:19 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Century ride sounds impressive. In the United States many people can't ride 100 miles, a lot of them can ride 62 miles, hence the "metric" century. Century is still in the title, still sound impressive.
Old 04-22-20, 08:41 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
What are they measuring?

I eagerly await the first metric correct road signs to appear anywhere. I wonder how the usually mechanically precise Germans can stand it otherwise
I've not seen anyone mention this, though admittedly I stopped reading after four pages, that in the 70's the US did begin converting to metric. Km road signs started going up, and gas pumps switched to liters. I was in grade school, and we were taught the metric system, expecting it would become standard. I think it was the gas pumps that made people insane, with those liter numbers flying by so fast they couldn't be read. The conversion suddenly halted, and everything rolled back. Interestingly, there was one 100 km to St. Louis sign on I-70 westbound left standing for probably a decade, reminding me with each passing how my generation was cheated of a superior measurement system.
Old 04-22-20, 09:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by downtube42
I've not seen anyone mention this, though admittedly I stopped reading after four pages, that in the 70's the US did begin converting to metric. Km road signs started going up, and gas pumps switched to liters. I was in grade school, and we were taught the metric system, expecting it would become standard. I think it was the gas pumps that made people insane, with those liter numbers flying by so fast they couldn't be read. The conversion suddenly halted, and everything rolled back. Interestingly, there was one 100 km to St. Louis sign on I-70 westbound left standing for probably a decade, reminding me with each passing how my generation was cheated of a superior measurement system.
I was in grade school in the 70s and remember that. Even as a young kid, the switch made total sense to me. The failure of the innitiative was my first glimmer of the the reality that we may have been the most powerful and rich country in the world, but we were clearly not the brightest.
Old 04-22-20, 10:42 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I love the metric debate.

The other countries in the world that claim to be metric aren't, at least not in the way people banging on about how America needs to metricize think they are. Let that sink in for a minute. The Brits still use stones for body weight. The Germans use pferdstarke for car engines. HK street vendors sell produce by the pound. South Korea had to illegalize the use of the pyeong as real estate floorspace measurement because people preferred it to sqm. The list goes on.

Traditional units of measurement grew because they were useful sizes for people. Because of the progression from tsp > tbsp > cup > pint > quart > gallon, you never have to use a large number of the unit. People don't like large numbers, or fractions, and would rather drink a pint (hey, the Brits still use that too!) than a half-liter or a 500mL, and only the latter is technically the way it's supposed to be used. Metric's awesome party trick (everything being easily transferred from volume to weight to energy and so forth) is handy for engineering (where matric is the way to go, as with NASA now), but is utterly inconsequential for daily tasks, so people use the system more convenient for the task at hand. Shocking.

America could "go metric" and change literally nothing, and we'd be "metric" like the other countries around the world are "metric" with people living there continuing to use their traditional measurements for many daily tasks. Would that make everyone clamoring for it happy? I doubt it. For some reason, it really grinds their gears that someone in Ohio is baking a pound cake instead of a 450g cake Get over it.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-22-20, 11:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
The same you'd wear in the 50-77 Fahrenheit range?
What is that in electron volts?

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-22-20, 11:14 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
If you hate metric vs English units, look up how shoe sizes work, that will really upset you.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-22-20, 12:19 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
My preferred units for velocity is furloughs/fortnight.
Likes For Buzzkill53120:
Old 04-22-20, 03:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I love the metric debate.

The other countries in the world that claim to be metric aren't, at least not in the way people banging on about how America needs to metricize think they are. Let that sink in for a minute. The Brits still use stones for body weight. The Germans use pferdstarke for car engines. HK street vendors sell produce by the pound. South Korea had to illegalize the use of the pyeong as real estate floorspace measurement because people preferred it to sqm. The list goes on.

Traditional units of measurement grew because they were useful sizes for people. Because of the progression from tsp > tbsp > cup > pint > quart > gallon, you never have to use a large number of the unit. People don't like large numbers, or fractions, and would rather drink a pint (hey, the Brits still use that too!) than a half-liter or a 500mL, and only the latter is technically the way it's supposed to be used. Metric's awesome party trick (everything being easily transferred from volume to weight to energy and so forth) is handy for engineering (where matric is the way to go, as with NASA now), but is utterly inconsequential for daily tasks, so people use the system more convenient for the task at hand. Shocking.

America could "go metric" and change literally nothing, and we'd be "metric" like the other countries around the world are "metric" with people living there continuing to use their traditional measurements for many daily tasks. Would that make everyone clamoring for it happy? I doubt it. For some reason, it really grinds their gears that someone in Ohio is baking a pound cake instead of a 450g cake Get over it.
One of the biggest engineering cluster####s I've been involved with was due not to mistakes in applying units of measure, but in repercussions from deeply entrenched immovable views on which units were correct. Different systems used different units, for no technical reason. As the guy responsible for software that had to bridge the gap, I can attest there was substantial cost on to the company. A global company can try to straddle the fence, but it is going to cost real $. Incredibly stupid.

It occurred to me that it's not necessary to be great to beat the competition, just a smidge less stupid.
Old 04-22-20, 07:00 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Oh, how sweet it would be to only have one set of wrenches and sockets.
I rarely touch my SAE tools these days. Pretty much just wood bolts and the interior trim parts of the Corvette, everything else is metric.

Just don't buy an old British motorcycle, or you can add a set of Whitworth tools too!
Old 04-23-20, 04:49 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Except...NASA has used metric units for decades....it is only the tool citizenry and Congress and companies that insist on using it. The USA has among its distinguished list of accomplishments...being the only country to kill a $300,000,000USD Martian orbiter probe....due to the continued corporate use of Imperial units (Lockheed used them in their firmware, and didn't tell NASA).
I had read about that. That seems to me to be poor leadership. In doing work for the government there would normally be detailed specifications and measurement units would be crucial and prominently displayed in an appropriate section of those specs. Big projects are run by administrators who are not always trained working engineers. We see this at Boeing and collapsing bridges for example.
Old 04-23-20, 08:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by berner
I had read about that. That seems to me to be poor leadership. In doing work for the government there would normally be detailed specifications and measurement units would be crucial and prominently displayed in an appropriate section of those specs. Big projects are run by administrators who are not always trained working engineers. We see this at Boeing and collapsing bridges for example.
Perhaps poor leadership... but really this was a failure made more likely by a flawed system. To be using two different sets of measuring systems in any field makes this very mistake more likely, while offering zero benefits.

You are correct that not all administrators are engineers. A good process design should take that into account and be robust enough not to let unit mistakes propagate. One critical part of that is having ONE definitive system of measurement. The moment “miles” pops up on any document or spec sheet an alarm needs to ring with red flashing lights, and nothing moves forward until you find out where it came from.
Old 04-23-20, 08:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
What's the proper unit to measure whether a thread has gone on too long?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-23-20, 08:40 AM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What's the proper unit to measure whether a thread has gone on too long?
When you get this:

Likes For Buzzkill53120:
Old 04-23-20, 10:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
When you get this:

Is that a metric dead horse or an imperial?
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.