Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

A thread about dealing with old age

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

A thread about dealing with old age

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-23, 11:42 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
at 59 I had to stop running this past summer and I'm super bummed about it (knee pain). I read that impact sports prompt the brain to produce the necessary things to maintain bone density. So my priority is to find out what's wrong with my knees. I am not ready to quit running. Thankfully I can still cycle and compete in cyclocross.

I have recently gotten back to doing pushups. I stopped doing them ten years ago when I destroyed my rotator cuff.

There are too many days when it's difficult to believe how sore my body is all over. Ankles, wrists, knees, back... the late fifites are kicking my butt.
Yes, you're at that turning-point age. Things have changed. My response was to hit the gym. I had a gym where the weight room was sparsely occupied at certain times. I'd go there and do 3 sets of 30 of 7-9 lifts, circuit style, twice a week, the 3 sets using the same weight. Full range of motion for all those exercises. I think the full range of motion thing is really important. If you can't get the full range, just always push it a little. This is just what I did. Whatever. Working each muscle to exhaustion is the basic program. Start light and work up. Also stretching starts now for you. No you didn't used to need to (sorry 'bout that grammar).

My wife and I haven't had knee pain since we started taking 750mg of glucosamine sulfate every morning and 1000mg MSM every evening. Been doing that for maybe 35 years. It takes a month or two to see any effect. OTOH there are sources of knee pain other than cartilage. Tendon pain is usually from swollen tendon sheaths. Ibuprofen, 300mg every 6 hours for a week can fix that. Also doing knee extensions at the gym, heavy weights, say 6 reps, only through 150°-180°, never starting at 90° except for the first rep.

Knee pain can also be from chondromalacia patella (google), basically a misalignment of the patella caused by muscular imbalance. Weight work can fix that, too.
Old 11-21-23, 11:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
at the gym weight training (at night) 4 days a week. got a 2nd job, just 4 hrs a week, but it's all on my feet & requires lots of bending, lifting & stretching

sadly the day job is a desk job, but I go to the gym at lunchtime every day. right now it's for walking 30minutes, on an inclined treadmill

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-07-24 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-22-23, 09:01 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
But I'm hoping to get to the point where I can run some distance not landing on my heels like we did in high school cross country. I absolutely loved running that style and never really enjoyed running since when I've used the modern thick heeled shoes. Plus I've always struggled with shin splints with the new shoes; never an issue on my cross country flats. I may be too old and too far removed to get back but we will see.
Ok I’ll admit it. Last night I cheated and ran at the rec center with my Altras. Minimal friendly, you could say, with no heel drop and a wide footbed. However with a stack height of 22mm, they are noticeably taller and somewhat less flexible than my Tadeevos, which have a stack height of 5mm.

Still it didn’t change my running stride much, it just allowed me to run a faster 5K without my feet feeling beat up and exhausted. I finished just under a 9 minute pace while just under LTHR, and with some hope that I could train to do a 10K at roughly that same pace.

I’m thinking I’ll keep doing the “fast” runs in the Altras, but I may stick with the minimal shoes for slow runs (and everything else).

Otto
Old 11-29-23, 08:36 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
71 here. I have been active my whole life, but never weight training or anything like it. Farming, working in the woods, cycling, running in my youth. These days I try to ride every other day. I do hand tool woodworking which keeps my upper body moving. And I still enjoy digging, with a mattock and a shovel. I would like to do a stretching routine, but it hasn’t yet come to pass. I also have minor heart issues.. I did not watch the opening video. I believe I am nearly as strong as I was 20 years ago. My early fifties were a peak time for strength. Living in the rainforest of southern Belize, farming and operating a pole driven dugout. I do get winded a lot more easily these days; that is the noticeable thing.
Old 11-30-23, 12:01 PM
jem01 

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
66yo and have been active my entire life… Running, swimming, hiking. About a year ago, I injured my right hip while doing some heavy duty shoveling in the garden. Since then it’s been an off and on struggle to get it healthy. When I thought it was better, I went for a slow run …. that was the wrong move. So decided about a month ago to start getting back up on a bike and currently using a trainer in the house. I’m starting very slow with just about 20 minutes most days. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-30-23, 12:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by jem01
66yo and have been active my entire life… Running, swimming, hiking. About a year ago, I injured my right hip while doing some heavy duty shoveling in the garden. Since then it’s been an off and on struggle to get it healthy. When I thought it was better, I went for a slow run …. that was the wrong move. So decided about a month ago to start getting back up on a bike and currently using a trainer in the house. I’m starting very slow with just about 20 minutes most days. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated!
see a doctor?

a cpl years ago I had a smack down off my bike onto hard ice. turned out to be an AC Joint Sprain

got some imagery (x-ray), some physical therapy & instructions to continue the exercises / therapy

doing pretty good now. can't sleep on that side all night but OK for a cpl hrs. no restrictions on my activities

shoulders are complex, as are hips. maybe you tweaked it, maybe that "injury" was the final straw & no you require surgery. I'd have gone to see doctor by now. but I get it, a buddy of mine, at my last job, used to joke, if he or I ever injured something, the motto was: "give it 6 months". no shame in going to a doc now
Old 11-30-23, 02:22 PM
jem01 

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I know… Probably should’ve seen a doc. I’m a retired PA and so like a lot of us in medicine, tend ignore things unless it’s dragging behind us or on fire 😊 Over the years with my injuries, I’ve found that often, unless it’s catastrophic, time takes care of most of it! I’m going to see how the bike riding does using the trainer and then if it continues to cause trouble, I will see a doc. So thank you! Appreciate your help!
Old 12-14-23, 06:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Blue Zone proponent. Eat right, move a lot throughout the day, active hobbies, friends/family. 'Hakuna matada'

100 mi/wk is still the biking goal in decent weather. Winter trainer. Hike Cougar Mt. An acre of yardwork. No accidents.

I was many years a volunteer for USFS on the trails. The summer they asked me to work for 4 months as a paid wilderness ranger i got down to 175 pounds hardy. 4 days,3 nights per week carrying your own food and supplies will do it fit.
Big trees are my friend.

besides, this thread needs more pics.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-14-23 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-06-24, 04:02 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
For those of you who are in good shape due to fitness, diet and good fortune: congratulations. Carry on.

The rest of us have to manage what we got. Sometimes what feels like a little to us is really a lot. I was feeling sorry for myself because of the usual back issues; then I got a call from a friend of mine who is in the hospital due to Heaven knows why and he sounds awful. Now my back doesn’t hurt so much.

Anyway, I’m interested in the overcomer stories, for you that have them to share.

Likes For Dudelsack:
Old 02-18-24, 08:21 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Bone Marrow Cancer took my WIFE of 62 Years on Jan 10,2024.
Bad stuff.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 02-18-24 at 08:45 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-18-24, 10:22 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Old injury, in my case, nearly 50yrs ago. Took out my ability to walk, for months. Eventually, developed enough strength and range of motion to be capable of moderate exercise. And, in time (a handful of years later), I recovered enough to get back the saddle doing many of the things I once did. But, I knew at the time it'd only be a matter of time before that amount of damage began to take its toll on the surrounding muscles that I'd learned to enlist in order to get around. As it turns out, while many of the more-energetic activities have been eliminated, cycling remains. It's one of the few things I can regularly do (along with rowing and "gym" [weights] exercising) to keep myself active. I'll be damned if I'll knuckle under. Despite the mess. Like the old Timex commercial ... took a lickin' but keep on tickin'. Wouldn't have it any other way. And I thank cycling every day.
Old 02-20-24, 07:44 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I've thought for a while that as we age, we should lose weight for just that reason. Our organs don't change weight much, as far as I know. My bones certainly are a bunch lighter than 50 years ago. (The X-ray techs tell me and my fractures suggest the same.) I cannot figure out why carrying more fat than 50 years ago when I had far more muscle to lug it around is good.) I'm not there. Hanging in between my old race weight and old off season weight. Still lighter than I was for years.

I've also made an exercise change that has added some weight. Much less cycling and walking instead. Weight lifting. Making it a real point to carry as much weight (in steel, not fat) as much as possible. No, I am not doing big time weight lifting. A good way for this lifelong 6' climber to hurt himself. Instead, a little routine of a half dozen lifts geared to strengthening my shoulders, both of which have considerable soft tissue damage from bike crashes. (Only muscle keeps my left arm in its socket. Life is radically better when I do this routine.) And doing both these lifts and walking, often with weights in a backpack, is clearly strengthening my body overall. I've also been working on pushing hard off the balls of my feet when walking uphill. Obviously not efficient. Longer strides would be far more effective. But I'm hoping to get to the point where I can run some distance not landing on my heels like we did in high school cross country. I absolutely loved runni9ng that style and never really enjoyed running since when I've used the modern thick heeled shoes. Plus I've always struggled with shin splints with the new shoes; never an issue on my cross country flats. I may be too old and too far removed to get back but we will see.
Rucking is an awesome exercise. My quads ached the first few weeks after beginning this exercise. Its also something that transitions over to better cycling.
Old 02-26-24, 12:50 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
We used to call rucking backpacking, and I loved it.
Likes For late:
Old 02-26-24, 01:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by late
We used to call rucking backpacking, and I loved it.
I do it with a brand new REI frame pack my brother gave me late '90s, right after my hiking days as I was settling in to (a brief) married life with a woman who was never going to hike. Started the rucking with a small Black Diamond pack that is great on the bike and very comfortable. I just slid a 10 pound barbell plate in the inside sleeve. But when I moved up to 20 pounds it was obvious that pack was not going to be long for this world and it works in its other modes so well I don't want to kill it.

So I lashed a 25 pound plate to the frame of the REI pack. Put the pack back on. And unless I am shopping, I am backpacking with an empty backpack!

Biggest challenge - I've wrecked both shoulders in bike crashes. Left, despite massive damage, works pretty well now but my right - shoulder blade is funky and doesn't like the contact. Shoulder does not like the pull back. And that shoulder sits quite noticeably lower than my left. But if I tighten that strap, I pull it back. I want about an inch of padding (after compression) under that right strap so it stays long and doesn't pull back so much. I've been using a couple of folded boot socks. When I get the folds right and in place, yeah! But it isn't a day to day workable solution. Still trying to figure out what materials and approach will work and hold up. And not take several minutes to sort out every time I put the pack back on.

This is Oregon. Not only do I warm up and sweat, it also rains, often on and off. With ordinary clothing, that means the pack comes off a lot. I'm open to suggestions on how to get a foam (or equivalent) pad under that right shoulder strap.
Old 02-26-24, 05:25 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts

I do it with a brand new REI frame pack my brother gave me late '90s, right after my hiking days as I was settling in to (a brief) married life with a woman who was never going to hike. Started the rucking with a small Black Diamond pack that is great on the bike and very comfortable. I just slid a 10 pound barbell plate in the inside sleeve. But when I moved up to 20 pounds it was obvious that pack was not going to be long for this world and it works in its other modes so well I don't want to kill it.

So I lashed a 25 pound plate to the frame of the REI pack. Put the pack back on. And unless I am shopping, I am backpacking with an empty backpack!

Biggest challenge - I've wrecked both shoulders in bike crashes. Left, despite massive damage, works pretty well now but my right - shoulder blade is funky and doesn't like the contact. Shoulder does not like the pull back. And that shoulder sits quite noticeably lower than my left. But if I tighten that strap, I pull it back. I want about an inch of padding (after compression) under that right strap so it stays long and doesn't pull back so much. I've been using a couple of folded boot socks. When I get the folds right and in place, yeah! But it isn't a day to day workable solution. Still trying to figure out what materials and approach will work and hold up. And not take several minutes to sort out every time I put the pack back on.

This is Oregon. Not only do I warm up and sweat, it also rains, often on and off. With ordinary clothing, that means the pack comes off a lot. I'm open to suggestions on how to get a foam (or equivalent) pad under that right shoulder strap.
The body is really good at healing, although it can take a lot longer than your insurance will cover. It can also get more involved than what therapists are trained to do. Don't get me wrong, I've had PT over a dozen times, and some of them are really good. But their way of looking at things doesn't include approaches that might take a year or two to bear fruit.

Have you tried to hanging? Americans often get rounded forward shoulders from sitting too much, and the combination of muscles imbalances and shoulders out of alignment can be brutal. How flexible are your shoulders? I have to keep stretching them.

In any case, good luck. Btw, try finding someone that can repair a backpack and have them make a custom strap that has a thicker, wider and softer cushion.

You could also look at other backpacks. There should be some out there made with really good shoulder pads.

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/rev...ey-atmos-ag-65

https://www.cleverhiker.com/backpack...aether-plus-70

Gregory used to make the best backpacks, but that was a generation ago. They still make good ones, and this video reviews one that I like the looks of:

Old 02-26-24, 06:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by late
The body is really good at healing, although it can take a lot longer than your insurance will cover. It can also get more involved than what therapists are trained to do. Don't get me wrong, I've had PT over a dozen times, and some of them are really good. But their way of looking at things doesn't include approaches that might take a year or two to bear fruit.

Have you tried to hanging? Americans often get rounded forward shoulders from sitting too much, and the combination of muscles imbalances and shoulders out of alignment can be brutal. How flexible are your shoulders? I have to keep stretching them.

In any case, good luck. Btw, try finding someone that can repair a backpack and have them make a custom strap that has a thicker, wider and softer cushion.

You could also look at other backpacks. There should be some out there made with really good shoulder pads.

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/rev...ey-atmos-ag-65

https://www.cleverhiker.com/backpack...aether-plus-70

Gregory used to make the best backpacks, but that was a generation ago. They still make good ones, and this video reviews one that I like the looks of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-hTOxSH_Q
The issue primarily is from multiple collarbone breaks. I am now far from symmetrical. Exercises/stretches to achieve symmetry will introduce other issues. I do shoulder exercises so they work well but the fit issues just have to get dealt with or I have to put up with discomfort. Not altogether different from my leg length issue. My life got radically better when I started using lifts in all my right shoes, shims under the right cleats. This is the other end of my body and the imperfections are from my abuse, not the issue of defective parts. The sock experiment, when it is right, has my pack sitting more comfortably than anything I have shouldered in many years. Like "Yeah!!!!"
Old 02-28-24, 10:20 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Bone Marrow Cancer took my WIFE of 62 Years on Jan 10,2024.
Bad stuff.
om my gosh! so sorry for your loss. nothing hurts like a broken heart. wishing you, your family & all her friends continued strength now & nothing but the best memories *hugs*