Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ideas for safer night commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 10:21 AM
Clegg2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, I work nights and only started 7 miles cycling to work in the last few weeks. I have the usual helmet, high Vis vest and lights but still shocked that some other road users still fail to see me. I enjoy cycling, but this is slightly off-putting. Any thoughts on other ways of staying safe.
Likes For Clegg2:
Old 07-31-23, 10:27 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Clegg2
Hi, I work nights and only started 7 miles cycling to work in the last few weeks. I have the usual helmet, high Vis vest and lights but still shocked that some other road users still fail to see me. I enjoy cycling, but this is slightly off-putting. Any thoughts on other ways of staying safe.
Use neighborhood streets where you can. Avoid stroads.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-31-23, 11:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
As SkinGriz notes, route selection should be at the top of your list.

A flashing helmet light often (but not always) can be used to get driver's attention. Make sure your other lights are bright, charged, or have fresh batteries.

How you ride is important. You're riding with the traffic, correct? Right in the U.S., left in the U.K., etc. Ride a straight course, at least a foot or two away from the curb or fog line. Do not swerve in and out around parked cars; nobody can see you before you pop out on the back side of a minivan. You're better off riding steadily in the right tire track (for U.S. riders) than swerving in and out.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-31-23, 01:06 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Something I have noticed is that the less expensive bikes with the reflectors in the wheel spokes and reflectors attached to the back of the pedals are much more easy to spot as a bicycle due to the movement of the reflectors. Even a bright pulsing light might be mistaken as a hazard light and not a bicyle with a person pedaling.

I would get pedals that allow for attaching reflectors and adding the wheel reflectors to your wheels. I would also try to avoid busy streets with parked cars along the road even if it means taking an additional 10 minutes to get to work or your home.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 07-31-23, 02:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Avoid arteries

Serious lighting, flashing an uneven pattern

No salmoning

High vis colors are fluorescent in sunlight but do nothing in the dark. Lots of reflective stuff. Yes even the dorky ones on the pedals and wheels. Marathons and probably some other similar commuter tires have a reflective stripe on the sidewall. Reflective clothes and bags too. You can imagine a backpack blocking your reflective clothes. The ones that have reflective piping are more of a feel-good than effective.

Keep warm - maybe not this month in this hemisphere in this year!
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-31-23 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 04:18 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Avoid arteries

Serious lighting, flashing an uneven pattern

No salmoning

High vis colors are fluorescent in sunlight but do nothing in the dark. Lots of reflective stuff. Yes even the dorky ones on the pedals and wheels. Marathons and probably some other similar commuter tires have a reflective stripe on the sidewall. Reflective clothes and bags too. You can imagine a backpack blocking your reflective clothes. The ones that have reflective piping are more of a feel-good than effective.

Keep warm - maybe not this month in this hemisphere in this year!
Tangent about colors.

Did you know the F117 was originally supposed to be painted in a camouflage pattern of pastels? Because those wavelengths disappear faster in low light and would have been better than black in regards to contrast against cloud cover.

But real men don’t fly pink airplanes. So it was painted black.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-31-23, 04:38 PM
Clegg2

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks all for the useful advice. My commute has roughly 50% cycle lane in London, but you get a lot of the deliveroo cyclist riding on the wrong side, or the odd motorist on the cycle lane especially at night. Sometimes I get into work very stressed from the near misses.
Old 07-31-23, 04:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I've seen that story about various airplanes I think. The prototype Have Blue had a crazy quilt scheme and there was a later Nighthawk painted gray.

Nighthawks are still flying though it's on the hush hush. See Wikipedia for sightings
Old 07-31-23, 05:19 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I've seen that story about various airplanes I think. The prototype Have Blue had a crazy quilt scheme and there was a later Nighthawk painted gray.

Nighthawks are still flying though it's on the hush hush. See Wikipedia for sightings
Still flying? Crazy.

The empire always comes home.
Old 07-31-23, 05:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

just googling the phrase it appears to come from a story about the X-15. Although it comes across on the peach-orange side for me

Vintage Air: Real Men Don't Fly Pink Airplanes

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-31-23, 07:31 PM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, 'Lectric Lite folding bike, beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 42 Posts
I've seen glow rides publicized by my local bike project but there's lots of cheap ideas out there that are similar to glow lights. One guy near me wears a flashing multicolor glow light of sorts wrapped around his waist, which is effective. Also there's some small glowing circles (spoke lights) you put on a few wheel spokes and they are very eye-catching from the side. I haven't tried them yet but here's a picture.

spoke lights
Likes For jaxy357:
Old 08-01-23, 06:10 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Clegg2
I have the usual helmet, high Vis vest and lights but still shocked that some other road users still fail to see me.
If the roads are straight, at the point they're failing to see you, and if your lighting and reflective gear is sufficiently bright and attention-getting ... IMO it's hard to imagine they don't actually see you. Reasonably likely they are ignoring you. Which might suggest the routes you're selection (or forced to take) are well-populated with such people. Not a lot that can be done about that, aside from avoiding such routes as much as you can.

In my area, I have two or three such roads, where the rear-ending problem is frequent, and mostly due to vehicle drivers simply not given a damn about the deadly threat they're presenting. I won't go on those roads, as they're death traps. Not enough places with proper bike lanes, in my area. And so, it's high-viz gear and only going on particular roads at particular times. Aren't many other choices.

My own preference, which have seemed to greatly increase my visibility and the amount of space yielded to me by vehicle drivers:
  • Tail light -- CygoLite HyperShot 350 -- on a random flash pattern, sometimes on a steady pattern
  • Tail light -- CygoLite HyperShot 350 -- yes, a second one, on a different flash pattern than the first
  • Head light -- CygoLite Metro Pro 1100 USB -- primary headlight
  • Head light -- CygoLite Metro Pro 1100 USB -- a second one, helmet-mounted, on a flash pattern
  • Helmet -- with very reflective "conspicuity" tape in all the right places; with a tail light and head light mounted
  • Vest -- very reflective DayGlo type color
  • Pedals -- with reflectors, such as the Velo-Orange Grand Cru Sabot
  • Conspicuity (highly reflective) Tape -- can wrap around seat stays, chain stays, down tube, top tube, forks, for visibility from headlights from all angles

Could also add a tall flag ... you know, the sort that kids often have on their bikes when they're little and extreme visibility is required in their neighborhoods as they begin exploring.

https://www.identi-tape.com/3M-conspicuity.htm

https://cygolite.com/product/hypershot-350-usb/

https://cygolite.com/product/metro-pro-1100-usb/

Last edited by Clyde1820; 04-12-24 at 03:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-23, 06:30 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Here's what I do, although have more bikes now, all with lights, just not spoke lights.

The other major safety devices I use are a take-a-look glasses mount mirror and all 5 of my bikes get AirZound airhorns.

I get positive comments on the LED shoes, but any lights that are in motion would help.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-01-23, 08:58 AM
Clegg2

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
All great suggestions. Thanks all.
Old 08-01-23, 06:38 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Include a rear-view mirror, and use it.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 08-01-23, 07:24 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
If you have the disposable income, Arclight pedals. The cool part is, no matter which way you spin them, the front is always white and the back is always red.

If you're like me and can't see the video, go to Quote and the link will show.

Old 08-01-23, 09:31 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
My experience is that it's safer to ride after dark, than around sunset/dusk time. Sunset/dusk maybe the golden hour for photography, but it's the death hour for cyclists.
In the winter time I would either ride home early when it's still bright, or I would sit in the office until after dark, before I ride home.
Old 08-02-23, 07:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
My experience is that it's safer to ride after dark, than around sunset/dusk time. Sunset/dusk maybe the golden hour for photography, but it's the death hour for cyclists.
In the winter time I would either ride home early when it's still bright, or I would sit in the office until after dark, before I ride home.
I agree with this observation. The weeks leading up to the change back to standard time are usually the worst for me. Starting off after it's really dark, my lights are seen better by cagers, to the point that I rarely have the close passes that were increasingly common before the time change.
Old 08-06-23, 06:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Add lighting and maybe reflective gear. Observe your headlight and taillight from a distance, or have someone do it for you. Some people think their lights are bring and attention-getting but they’re not.

It’s good to use supplements, too. Maybe use two headlights, perhaps one flashing and one steady. You can also use two taillights, and they can flash at different intervals. I often ride with supplements such as a light in my rear wheel or a lit-up trouser band. I’ve received expressions of gratitude from those two things. I also put reflective tape on both front and back sides of my pedals. The unfortunate thing about safety gear is that you never really know if it works. You only know if it doesn’t work. I’d rather not give a reason for people not to see me, but the fact is, they’re not all looking for people like me, so I have to grab their attentions somehow. I don’t want to be obnoxious and flash eye-injuring lights, but I don’t think it’s necessary. A well-focused beam can seem bright when it really isn’t.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-06-23, 07:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
A light on your leg does something nothing else out there does. Moves up and down. People notice. The main reason I no longer use one is that my body no longer likes the strap carrying a battery light around my skinny legs. But I did it for many years. I now live in Portland which is pretty bike aware. Use the usual stuff. Tail light, vest, headlight and I put flashers just forward of the corners of my hips on the vest waist band to shine at left turning vehicles and those coming out of side streets. Drivers appear to see them.

Edit: A fun thing I did with my workhorse winter/rain/city fix gear after I had it painted with stock sky blue powdercoat. Went on line and searched 3M reflecting tape. Well, an industrial site had a wide variety of colors so I bought a roll of one that looked close. Upon arrival - score! Very, very close to identical other than a little pattern to it. Bike now wears the entire roll. It's blue so not super bright but there is a lot! And 3m tape is very good. Both for stick and reflecting.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-06-23 at 09:00 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-06-23, 08:43 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
As I posted in another thread:
The Jogalite wide leg band is very comfortable, and extremely reflective, all 360 degrees. I had two of them when I rode a lot at night. On cycle club night rides, when a cyclist even got a few hundred yards ahead of the group, our headlights really lit up the leg bands and the motion instantly showed "cyclist!".
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 08-15-23, 06:09 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I commute to work at 4 AM. Not much traffic, but that in itself is a problem because the few cars that pass may be paying less attention than usual (scary when you think how distracted drivers are usually).

I use two rechargeable blinkers in the rear, one on the helmet and one on the bikes rack, an 1100 lumen headlight (bright!), and tires that are called "Reflex" by Schwalbe meaning that they have a reflective ring around them. These reflective rings around the tires work... I took a flash picture of the bike at night once, and the rings around the tires washed out most of the picture!
Old 08-15-23, 07:00 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
... and tires that are called "Reflex" by Schwalbe meaning that they have a reflective ring around them. These reflective rings around the tires work... I took a flash picture of the bike at night once, and the rings around the tires washed out most of the picture!
That's a great feature for any road-going bike tire. On routes with lots of cross-streets and driveways, it's invaluable.

Have had them on a couple of bikes.
Old 08-16-23, 11:30 AM
TomPalmer

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a friend that has a pool noodle that sticks 1-2 feet into the lane and he says he gets a lot more room.
His is like this- https://qz.com/1620913/the-best-cycl...-a-pool-noodle
Lights definitely help in my experience, most drivers are oblivious, but do not wan tto actually hit a cyclist.
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI
Likes For TomPalmer:
Old 08-16-23, 11:43 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
retroreflective tape on the bike. If you don't want to adhere the tape to the bike for fear of ruining the paint, then first apply electrical tape, then retroreflective tape to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.