Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuck Steel 1938 Stem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stuck Steel 1938 Stem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-22, 03:51 PM
dantonvb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
1938 Stuck Bianchi Steel Stem

I recently bought a 1938 Bianchi frame. It came with a stuck steel stem (pictured), which I think may be a Cinelli. It appears to be original. The stem is already without the screw, and the conical nut is free inside the fork steerer, at the bottom.

I tried to remove the stem, after overnight soaking with vinegar, and after that with WD40. I searched the forums but all the posts I found are about stuck aluminum stems.

Any ideias about removing this steel stem, without major damage to stem or fork ? Thanks!

Last edited by dantonvb; 08-19-22 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-19-22, 03:58 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I've seen a lot of discussion in the past noting acetone + automatic transmission fluid as a homemade penetrating oil. Before trying it, search Google for "acetone atf bikeforums" and you'll see a lot of advice from folks who have done it before. Unfortunately, if destroying neither the frame nor the stem is an option, you'll need to be very patient.

I've personally had good luck with PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench, and I also see Kroil recommended often.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 08-19-22, 04:04 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Steel to steel stuck is simple rust. Dip the front end in Evaporust or a solution of oxalic acid for a day or two. Should do the job.

Also, the shape of the stem and that it is on a Bianchi says Ambrosio, not Cinelli.
Likes For iab:
Old 08-19-22, 04:10 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Heres my best. Soak as much PB Blaster as you can and use a big vise. I don't know if you have a bar or clamps to get a better grip on the stem.

True the stem is alloy but it's still the same procedures.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-19-22, 04:39 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Steel to steel stuck is simple rust. Dip the front end in Evaporust or a solution of oxalic acid for a day or two. Should do the job.

Also, the shape of the stem and that it is on a Bianchi says Ambrosio, not Cinelli.
I agree with this approach with a small caveat. What material is the headset made of? If it's alu, I might be cautious of the oxalic acid for a long period of time.
Old 08-19-22, 04:52 PM
iab

Originally Posted by Cynikal
I agree with this approach with a small caveat. What material is the headset made of? If it's alu, I might be cautious of the oxalic acid for a long period of time.
If the headset is aluminum, it is not original to the bike. It could be sacrificed, a decision to be made.
Likes For iab:
Old 08-19-22, 05:00 PM
dantonvb

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
The headset is steel, and has Bianchi 38 engraving on it. All the parts in the bicycle are steel. No aluminum.
Likes For dantonvb:
Old 08-19-22, 05:03 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Also, get a rubber mallet or dead-blow hammer to help preserve old parts from damage whilst whacking on them.
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 08-19-22, 05:24 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by dantonvb
The headset is steel, and has Bianchi 38 engraving on it. All the parts in the bicycle are steel. No aluminum.
Then OA is going to be your friend.
Old 08-19-22, 06:00 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Heres my best. Soak as much PB Blaster as you can and use a big vise. I don't know if you have a bar or clamps to get a better grip on the stem.

True the stem is alloy but it's still the same procedures.
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Also, get a rubber mallet or dead-blow hammer to help preserve old parts from damage whilst whacking on them.

These approaches have ALWAYS worked for me.....WD40 in my estimation is not for use on heavily rusted part....it may also seem counter intuitive, but tapping/hitting down on the part a few times will often help dislodge the parts and allow for better penetration of the mixture.
I have never used the mix of acetone and T.O. but other have had success with it so if you like mixing your own brew, give it a try.
After that O.A. will remove the rest of the rust and you will need less of it.
Let us know how it turns out.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 08-19-22, 06:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
@dantonvb

Originally Posted by Cynikal
Then OA is going to be your friend.
OA and HUGE amounts of patience, then a lot more, maybe several mountains more.

A large amount of elbow grease will also likely be on the agenda.

Glad I'm not the OP and very jealous all at the same time, what a fantastic challenge to have.

Last edited by merziac; 08-19-22 at 06:14 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-19-22, 06:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by dantonvb

I recently bought a 1938 Bianchi frame. It came with a stuck steel stem (pictured), which I think may be a Cinelli. It appears to be original. The stem is already without the screw, and the conical nut is free inside the fork steerer, at the bottom.

I tried to remove the stem, after overnight soaking with vinegar, and after that with WD40. I searched the forums but all the posts I found are about stuck aluminum stems.

Any ideias about removing this steel stem, without major damage to stem or fork ? Thanks!
AND more pics plz, what a fantastic challenge to have.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-19-22, 06:14 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Here is another approach. I have a compressor and an air hammer. Too violent to use on bike parts per se. The Eastwood video shows that vibratory action really helps. Cool tool for screw removal

On stuck seat posts or stems, again you could pad or protect the part with a block of wood or similar and use an air hammer to light buzz the part. I had a stuck brake disc on my truck, it was rusted onto the hub. I put a block of wood on the disc and then air hammered the wood and popped off the disc.
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 08-19-22, 06:19 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
What? You post about a 1938 Bianchi, but won't take a pic of the whole frame for us? 😋😁 Sorry, someone had to say it. 😉

I agree with the soaking everyone recomends, but I'll give you a different approach, for holding the fork still. Just get a large piece of PVC pipe, or maybe wood, to sit the forks over, by straddling the 2 legs over the pipe or wood. If you get a good long section, you can brace it, like against a wall or something. You'll get way better leverage, if trying to twist it. 👍
Likes For stardognine:
Old 08-19-22, 06:21 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
AND more pics plz, what a fantastic challenge to have.
Ha ya beat me to it. 😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 08-19-22, 06:45 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 544 Posts
I’m in the Evaporust camp. Tip fork upside down, stuff with rag and douse it with Evaporust. Add Evaporust as necessary. A plastic mallet and a strong wood dowel are your friends.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 08-19-22, 07:14 PM
dantonvb

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Some pictures of the 1938 Bianchi frame and parts that came with it

Old 08-19-22, 07:24 PM
iab

Lovey bike. Good luck with the project.
Likes For iab:
Old 08-19-22, 08:51 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
ok, then try this and build a "tank" so you don't have to fill up a kiddie pool. Information courtesy of
jonwvara ...there may be other ways to immerse the frame that will minimize material....
Best, Ben
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...evaporust.html

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 08-20-22, 02:12 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
This might sound dumb, but I haven't seen anyone (including the OP) mention this yet: have you tried unscrewing the top nut on the headset to facilitate stem removal?

If so and it's still stuck, I agree that OA or similar is the route to success.

Cool project - good luck!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-20-22, 03:46 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Water is something that the old bike guys do to un-freeze entire bikes. Horse trough full of water, come back in a week.
Probably not viable here though. The OA and patience deal is probably the best bet.
This would be a VERY unusual Bianchi using box pins and fishtail lugs. Perhaps it merely has a few French parts on it. Considering the frames attributes I would tend to agree with the downtube transfer. It looks like an English frame. Considering the drop-outs, it would be a higher level for sure, but English by its construction. Four cup headsets are also usually Clip stem types but the clip can be easily replaced with a standard top. It looks like that is what has been done by the ring in the middle.
No doubt, a nice frame. Once you get it apart, considering the rounded cup flare of the head, one the head cups will probably be stamped, I'd guess Brown & Wilkes.

Considering the fork also has a fishtail crown I'd think it may be original to the frame. Then, Considering that it may actually be a Clip style head steerer tube, that means there may be a "T" cut into the threaded area of the steerer tube to be compressed by the now gone head clip to hold the stem. This "T" area is another bugaboo that will hold up the removal if it is corroded bad.
As mentioned above by Drillium dude, unscrew the headset completely. Do it over a catch pan, there are 60 loose balls in the headset. Then take the stems long bolt that has been removed and re install it several threads and make sure the wedge or barrel is knocked down by smacking the top of the bolt head. Once the headset is all loose and the wedge/barrel is out of the way, things will be easier to asses if you still can't get it out.

Last edited by macstuff; 08-20-22 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-20-22, 04:49 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
I always wondered why most bikes from the 1930's and earlier do not seem to retain their finishes. They always look like they were pulled out from a shipwreck, finish-wise. Was paint and chrome just that bad back then? Or where there grand old bikes just left out on the porch for many years and negldcted.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-20-22, 05:17 AM
dantonvb

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
This might sound dumb, but I haven't seen anyone (including the OP) mention this yet: have you tried unscrewing the top nut on the headset to facilitate stem removal?

If so and it's still stuck, I agree that OA or similar is the route to success.

Cool project - good luck!

DD
Yes the top nut was unscrewed.
Old 08-20-22, 05:25 AM
dantonvb

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
macstuff the headset upper cup and the bottom bracket right cup have "Bianchi 38" engraving. The crank arms have "Superba" engraving.

Last edited by dantonvb; 08-20-22 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-20-22, 05:53 AM
iab

Originally Posted by macstuff
Water is something that the old bike guys do to un-freeze entire bikes. Horse trough full of water, come back in a week.
Probably not viable here though. The OA and patience deal is probably the best bet.
This would be a VERY unusual Bianchi using box pins and fishtail lugs. Perhaps it merely has a few French parts on it. Considering the frames attributes I would tend to agree with the downtube transfer. It looks like an English frame. Considering the drop-outs, it would be a higher level for sure, but English by its construction. Four cup headsets are also usually Clip stem types but the clip can be easily replaced with a standard top. It looks like that is what has been done by the ring in the middle.
No doubt, a nice frame. Once you get it apart, considering the rounded cup flare of the head, one the head cups will probably be stamped, I'd guess Brown & Wilkes.

Considering the fork also has a fishtail crown I'd think it may be original to the frame. Then, Considering that it may actually be a Clip style head steerer tube, that means there may be a "T" cut into the threaded area of the steerer tube to be compressed by the now gone head clip to hold the stem. This "T" area is another bugaboo that will hold up the removal if it is corroded bad.
As mentioned above by Drillium dude, unscrew the headset completely. Do it over a catch pan, there are 60 loose balls in the headset. Then take the stems long bolt that has been removed and re install it several threads and make sure the wedge or barrel is knocked down by smacking the top of the bolt head. Once the headset is all loose and the wedge/barrel is out of the way, things will be easier to asses if you still can't get it out.
I'll entirely disagree. While being a Bianchi is questionable, but not impossible, the seat lug, rear dropouts, dropout treatments and most importantly the seat tube chain oiler all scream 1930s Italian. I have never seen any of those features on anything but a 1930s Italian bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.