Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Rage triathlon - Las Vegas 4/29/23

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-23, 11:36 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts

Getting ready for Rage in just a over a week and a half. Doing the long course this year. I'm already regretting signing up for that. I did it last year but I only did the sprint. I'm starting to overhydrate now. Seems I live in a state of perpetual dehydration.

Haven't decided on which bike I'm riding. My new-to-me Ridley may not be the best geared option for this route with lots of quick but steep ups and downs. Might stick with one of my trusty, low-geared road bikes.

The swim is a concern only because I don't have a lot of opportunity to train. Not so much finishing, but just maintaining my form and pace.

The run is always my weakest event. I'm not very fast to begin with, but after the swim and the ride, I'm generally pretty well spent by that point.

Anyway, I'll update as I go.
Old 04-26-23, 06:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Getting ready for Rage in just a over a week and a half. Doing the long course this year. I'm already regretting signing up for that. I did it last year but I only did the sprint. I'm starting to overhydrate now. Seems I live in a state of perpetual dehydration.

Haven't decided on which bike I'm riding. My new-to-me Ridley may not be the best geared option for this route with lots of quick but steep ups and downs. Might stick with one of my trusty, low-geared road bikes.

The swim is a concern only because I don't have a lot of opportunity to train. Not so much finishing, but just maintaining my form and pace.

The run is always my weakest event. I'm not very fast to begin with, but after the swim and the ride, I'm generally pretty well spent by that point.

Anyway, I'll update as I go.
Best of luck and ENJOY.
Old 04-26-23, 07:04 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Best of luck and ENJOY.
Where are you in SW Fla? I did Sarasota back in January.

Haven't figured out which one yet, but I want to do one on the east side so I can accurately say I've done triathlons "from coast to coast".

Oh! And thanks.
Old 04-27-23, 05:52 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Where are you in SW Fla? I did Sarasota back in January.

Haven't figured out which one yet, but I want to do one on the east side so I can accurately say I've done triathlons "from coast to coast".

Oh! And thanks.
Rotonda about 1 hour south of Sarasota.
Old 04-27-23, 11:18 AM
VegasJen

Gotcha. I have family down around Ft. Myers. I try to make it out there a couple times a year. Since I've been a full time student the last coupe years, I've gone over the winter break. Always coordinated my return after Sarasota. Good first event of the year.
Old 04-28-23, 09:17 AM
VegasJen

Well, tomorrow is the day. I'll head in to Vegas this afternoon and pick up my packet. One of the girls in my class just bought a house but hasn't moved in yet. She's going to let me crash there overnight, so no need to drive home (100 miles each way) or sleep in my suburban.

I have been maintaining exercise all week, but as is my typical pre-tri prep, my routine is just low intensity maintenance exercise. I've also been carb-loading and upping my water/electrolyte intake. I'm really bad about being in a perpetual state of dehydration so the last two weeks I've been trying to kill it with water and other good fluids. Yesterday I did a 24 mile ride and maintained a 17mph average. Even when I got done I still felt like I could have run a 10k. Of course, I didn't, but it does bode well that I still have energy to spare.

Tomorrow is supposed to be pushing 100 in Vegas. It's always hotter at the lake though. We should be done before the high for the day, but I would not be at all surprised to see it hit a good 90* before I finish the run. Will post results.
Old 04-28-23, 07:04 PM
OldTryGuy

Well, tomorrow is the day. I'll head in to Vegas this afternoon and pick up my packet. One of the girls in my class just bought a house but hasn't moved in yet. She's going to let me crash there overnight, so no need to drive home (100 miles each way) or sleep in my suburban.

I have been maintaining exercise all week, but as is my typical pre-tri prep, my routine is just low intensity maintenance exercise. I've also been carb-loading and upping my water/electrolyte intake. I'm really bad about being in a perpetual state of dehydration so the last two weeks I've been trying to kill it with water and other good fluids. Yesterday I did a 24 mile ride and maintained a 17mph average. Even when I got done I still felt like I could have run a 10k. Of course, I didn't, but it does bode well that I still have energy to spare.

Tomorrow is supposed to be pushing 100 in Vegas. It's always hotter at the lake though. We should be done before the high for the day, but I would not be at all surprised to see it hit a good 90* before I finish the run. Will post results.
You'll likely do well so stay hydrated and most importantly -- HAVE FUN
Old 04-29-23, 07:06 PM
VegasJen

So I finished my ninth tri this morning.

This one was an Olympic distance. I don't know why I do this to myself. This one was pretty rough though. Even though I was pretty diligent about hydrating for the last two weeks, I was still just out of gas by the time we got to the run. Part of that was the temp. ****ing Vegas. It's not that it was SO hot, I think that it was so hot so fast. Just no time to acclimate. Last weekend, the average high was only in the mid 70s, the weekend before that, mid 60s. Today, when I got in the Suburban after the finish, temp said 94*.
The other part were the hills. This is a screen shot of a map program I use, elevations on the bottom. Maps are a little out of date so it still shows the old water level from 10-15 years ago. Just imagine that first incline extending all the way from the starting point. But the hills easily added 15-20 minutes to my run time. The whole way I kept saying to myself, "these ****ing hills!"

Oh, and so far as my finish, I'm a participant, not a competitor. Total five entrants in my age group, two DNFs, and I was third.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-30-23, 10:30 AM
OldTryGuy

So I finished my ninth tri this morning.

This one was an Olympic distance. I don't know why I do this to myself. This one was pretty rough though. Even though I was pretty diligent about hydrating for the last two weeks, I was still just out of gas by the time we got to the run. Part of that was the temp. ****ing Vegas. It's not that it was SO hot, I think that it was so hot so fast. Just no time to acclimate. Last weekend, the average high was only in the mid 70s, the weekend before that, mid 60s. Today, when I got in the Suburban after the finish, temp said 94*.
The other part were the hills. This is a screen shot of a map program I use, elevations on the bottom. Maps are a little out of date so it still shows the old water level from 10-15 years ago. Just imagine that first incline extending all the way from the starting point. But the hills easily added 15-20 minutes to my run time. The whole way I kept saying to myself, "these ****ing hills!"

Oh, and so far as my finish, I'm a participant, not a competitor. Total five entrants in my age group, two DNFs, and I was third.
Old 04-30-23, 12:45 PM
VegasJen

You know, I don't mind finishing 3rd (last) in my age group, but hell, the two ladies that finished before me were an hour ahead of me.
Old 04-30-23, 01:40 PM
OldTryGuy

You know, I don't mind finishing 3rd (last) in my age group, but hell, the two ladies that finished before me were an hour ahead of me.
DLF > DNF > DNS

Dead Last Finish is greater than
Did Not Finish is greater than
Did Not Start

Congratulations and good luck with future events.