Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

High-end Eddy Merckx Corsa 01 whooped by the lowly Raleigh Supercourse!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 12:39 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts

Didn't expect this. While my overall pace is way down I've recovered enough from the knee replacement to be able to give a full effort for a 20 mile ride. Yesterday I took out the Merckx Corsa 01 for it's first real ride since I got it. Bike felt really nice under me, comfortable and all that. Bettered the pace I had done 5 days early on the Colnago C40 by almost a full mph. I do struggle in the final miles as I'm riding on straight water only and using flat pedals. Not being able to pull up on my pedals is really slowing me down. Noticing it mostly on every bit of uphill. Still I was happy to see the big gain with the Merckx.

As I rode it yesterday with flat pedals but with a light carbon fiber tubular setup. 700 x 27 rubber at 80/90 psi.

This morning I took out the Raleigh Supercours Technium for the first ride since I did the rebuild on it this winter. Wasn't expecting too much from it since it one of the lower end Technium frames. First thing I noticed was how freaking beautiful the paint was out in the sunlight. The mix of Dura Ace/Ultegra parts was working perfectly and the drivetrain was totally silent. Not to brag, but I nailed the rebuild on this I guess. Didn't need to tweak anything on this maiden ride.

Anyway, despite a tight quad on the repaired leg this morning, more headwinds on the return leg, and having to slow several times for others in the way, the ol' Raleigh pulled off a whipping of the Merckx. Same route, same time of day, and the Raleigh did it .2 mph avg faster!!! Pains me to even admit that, LOL! Here again though, mile 7-9 is all a 2 degree uphill and I just bleed off avg pace on it right now with the weak legs and stinkin' flat pedals.

Now for ride comfort the Raleigh could not compete. You could feel the unforgiving stiffness on all the rough sections of chipseal. Handling was not bad though, I was worried it would feel pretty dull and uninspiring but it was just fine. Oh, and the narrow handlebars were quite apparent right off. If I was going to keep this one I'd put on wider bars and larger, cushier tires.

How I rode it, except for swapping on the flat pedals. Dura Ace hubs with Open Pro rims running 700 x 23 GP 4000s II at 90/100 psi

Oh and to add insult to injury to the Merckx.....it's 2 lbs lighter than the Raleigh.

Anyway, in all seriousness. I didn't know what to expect from the Raleigh and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-10-23, 12:45 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
You have two very nice bikesthe Raleigh shouldn't be under estimated
Old 06-10-23, 02:40 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I think it is very difficult to assess bike efficiency. Many variables. One I would look at would be position on the bike and differences, handlebar width was noted, much in addition.
‘Maybe replicate the best performing bike position to the slowest.
Old 06-10-23, 05:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I usually ride faster as consecutive days build up, as long as the rides aren't 50+ miles anyway.

How the different tires were getting along with the particular road surface is another variable.

I had a Bridgestone 400 with Command shifters that I set a personal best on back in 2003, I was feeling strong/motivated that day I guess.
Likes For dddd:
Old 06-10-23, 06:31 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Ummm....don't worry everyone. I wasn't serious about the Raleigh being better. LOL!
Old 06-10-23, 06:44 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Ummm....don't worry everyone. I wasn't serious about the Raleigh being better. LOL!
Your less than serious tone was noted. Good luck with the continuing rehab. Clipless/clips in the future?
Old 06-11-23, 06:32 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Sedgemop
Clipless/clips in the future?
Yep, just not sure how long I need to wait until I go back to them.
Old 06-17-23, 12:19 PM
jamesdak 

Well the Colnago C40 must have been talking to the Merckx this week 'cause it was determined not to be embarrassed by the lowly Raleigh today. The knee was a bit stiff and swollen so I started out pretty easy for the first couple of miles. Then around mile 9 I realized I had a relatively good pace going and decided to see how well I could do. Finished with a 18 mph avg over the 20 mile route, so the Colnago's honor was saved. I hate to admit it being a "Steel is Real" kind of guy but this C40 felt absolutely amazing under me today. Like when I stood to pedal up inclines it just took off under me to where I almost felt like I was falling backwards. The majority of the ride the bike just felt light, crisp and comfortable. I did put a different cassette on this one and traded out the Gatorskins for some brand new GP 5000 tires. The bike is still running my less than favorite Kyserium wheels. It will be even better I bet with Zonda's or Shamal's on it. So much better than the Trek 5200 and C4 Air One C.F. bikes that beat me up recently.

17 lbs 4 ozs with the tire swap and putting on some Look Keo pedals.
Old 06-17-23, 03:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I like your choice of saddle.....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-17-23, 11:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts

Ride them all!

Careful with the rehab. Measured and steady.