Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

GRX400 lever

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

GRX400 lever

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-23, 01:04 PM
TwoRings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GRX400 lever

This is a stupid question but......
I bought a new take-off GRX shifter. the connection where the hydro hose fits into has a factory plug in it. however, there wasn't a yellow factory or any lever stop installed.
So, my question...if the brake lever has/had been pulled without any hose-caliper installed, could there be any damage to the internals?
Old 03-25-23, 03:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
It wouldn't likely damage anything maybe if you did it bunch and somehow built up pressure you could damage some seals maybe but I doubt you will have done much to it pulling it with the plug.
Old 03-25-23, 04:44 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 1,024 Posts
The plug and the block are there to prevent pumping the fluid out. With the plug in it shouldn't be any different than when you have the pads set too tight and pull the brake lever - no damage.
Old 03-26-23, 07:17 PM
TwoRings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=veganbikes;22840376]It wouldn't likely damage anything maybe if you did it bunch and somehow built up pressure you could damage some seals maybe but I doubt you will have done much to it pulling it with the plug.[/QUOTE

Thank you
Likes For TwoRings:
Old 03-26-23, 07:19 PM
TwoRings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you
Old 03-26-23, 08:05 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It wouldn't likely damage anything maybe if you did it bunch and somehow built up pressure you could damage some seals maybe but I doubt you will have done much to it pulling it with the plug.
Bike brakes do not have one way valves in the system.. "building pressure" once the piston in the master cylinder returns to the "open", fully released Position, is impossible. The Master Cyl. Piston Moves oil in both directions.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-26-23 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-27-23, 08:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
Bike brakes do not have one way valves in the system.. "building pressure" once the piston in the master cylinder returns to the "open", fully released Position, is impossible. The Master Cyl. Piston Moves oil in both directions.
Exactly that is why I said you would have to somehow build up pressure which I didn't state is basically impossible but I should have made that clearer.