Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Hand painting details

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Hand painting details

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-22, 02:19 PM
Annamaeflowers
Newbie w/ Foldable bike

Bikes: Schwinn Loop Adult Folding Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hand painting details

I couldn’t identify which forum this would best fall under, but I figured those who can build a bike would be versed in painting them. I would like to hand paint poppy flowers on my new bike. I intentionally bought a white bike so I wouldn’t have to worry about priming. Would using crafting enamel paint like Testors and then sealing it with a clear based spray paint work and if so what brands would you recommend? I should add I’ve looked into the stencil method and it wouldnt work for my design.
Likes For Annamaeflowers:
Old 06-14-22, 03:35 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Sorry I can't help you out with that. But I just discovered the disadvantages of decals. I lock my bike with a cable lock with a vinyl sleeve and even that is damaging the decal. Good luck
Old 06-14-22, 06:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Many hundreds (thousands, millions...) of bikes have had hand painted details placed on them. Back in the day when pretty much all factory bike paint was enamel the common Testers or Practra(sp?) hobby shop paints (and finger nail colors) were very compatible. For best results a slight deglossing (fine sanding) would provide the new paint better bite. A clear coat of compatible paint will also want a "bite". Do know that the thicker the total layers of paint are the less durable the results are (everything else being equal).

But these days many paints are not wet applied enamels, ever hear of powder coating? PC paints are, basically, a plastic, a granular layer has been electrostatically applied and has been melted onto the surfaces. Not what the hobby shop paints like best. So best prep is strongly suggested, like the fine sanding.

What ever you do don't expect the looks to stay. A bike's life can be hard and scrapes and knocks are not uncommon if you ride a lot. Andy