Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Counterfeit Pearl Izumi???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-22, 09:46 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts

My favorite gloves are starting to get worn down and weren’t available anymore until I found what looked like them on FB marketplace. The packaging was suspicious (I don’t think anybody makes a “therma fleece” summer glove) but I figured maybe they just got the wrong packaging, and perhaps the seller got a discount on the manufacturer’s mistake.

They look a lot like my old gloves, and they seem well constructed (only time will tell), but I have now noticed that the same glove with the same packaging is all over ebay with no mention of the brand name. I’ve heard that contracted factories sometimes continue to make a product after their agreement with the brand is up (with or without permission), but figured they would at least remove the logo. Plus, there are much pricier and more desired brands out there to fake. Anybody know the story with this?

Top pic is from a current ad. Bottom two are side-by-side comparisons with the original glove on top and the new one below.

Old 08-08-22, 08:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Probably knock-offs. Ali-Express sells tons of those exact gloves

Last edited by rsbob; 08-08-22 at 08:19 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-08-22, 08:58 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
I did vendor evaluations in the PRC and can tell you while the PI QA/QC people are on site they will crank out good quality and cheaply. However, after they leave at the end of the run, maybe 10s of thousands of gloves, the vendor will be cranking them out trying to keep the PI appearance to sell at a higher price. If you get an end run with PI quality material, thread, leather, etc. you can get a great glove cheap or substitute thread, leather, dies, etc. and you get poor quality. The problem is the PRC culture is very different than ours where if the seller pulls one over on the buyer good for him rather than shame on him for cheating the buyer.
Old 08-08-22, 09:23 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by rsbob
Probably knock-offs. Ali-Express sells tons of those exact gloves
Yeah, I also see the same gloves is also available with different company logos.

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I did vendor evaluations in the PRC and can tell you while the PI QA/QC people are on site they will crank out good quality and cheaply. However, after they leave at the end of the run, maybe 10s of thousands of gloves, the vendor will be cranking them out trying to keep the PI appearance to sell at a higher price. If you get an end run with PI quality material, thread, leather, etc. you can get a great glove cheap or substitute thread, leather, dies, etc. and you get poor quality. The problem is the PRC culture is very different than ours where if the seller pulls one over on the buyer good for him rather than shame on him for cheating the buyer.
I think that makes sense. You're saying these are made in the same factory but possibly with substituted (subpar) materials? I am aware that business culture in China is wildly different than it is in the US, but I certainly don't understand all the details.
Old 08-08-22, 09:47 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have those gloves in blue. I’m guessing they are knockoffs because I couldn’t find a Therma Fleece model on Pi site. They have held up well so far. Better than some other gloves.

Sizing is a little funky since they were unisex. I bought Large and were a bit small, bought a second pair and they were a bit large. But for $15 they work.

I used to buy Performance house brand when they went on sale.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-08-22, 11:55 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I have those gloves in blue. I’m guessing they are knockoffs because I couldn’t find a Therma Fleece model on Pi site. They have held up well so far. Better than some other gloves.

Sizing is a little funky since they were unisex. I bought Large and were a bit small, bought a second pair and they were a bit large. But for $15 they work.
Even less than that now, and it's good to hear that they will last. Funny how similar they look to the authentic ones I bought about a decade ago (and can't find for sale anywhere anymore).