Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle Bag Essentials?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle Bag Essentials?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 10:38 PM
GP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've posted this picture several times in saddlebag threads.

There's a Park stick-on boot and a couple glueless patches folded up next to one of the tubes. The blue stuff on the tire lever is duct tape.

Using both tubes in one day is rare but it happens. What happens more often is getting a flat 10 miles into a 120 mile ride and not having a spare for the other 110 miles.

There's a lot of different opinions on what to carry. I know people that do double centuries with one tube and one cartridge in a pocket. I know others that carry giant expandable saddle bags with everything but the kitchen sink.

One thing I recommend is carrying light or extra light tubes because they fold up smaller.
Old 05-20-13, 10:52 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
OP, add a master chain link and a tire boot.

Five different rides I have had three flats.
Now carry 5 tubes and a spare tire.

Got in 502 miles last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVT2H...marvelous&lr=1

Guy on purple bike had EIGHT flats one day.:

Old 05-20-13, 10:55 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
Usually I bring:
Topeak 18+ multi tool
Two tire levers
Patch kit
Two tubes
Two c02 carts
C02 head
Two tire boots made from tire that shreaded
Topeak pump on frame
That's what I pack and a spare master link and a spoke wrench too (which may be present in your multi tool)

ovoleg - when word gets out that you're a complete mooch, people are going to stop offering you help.
Old 05-20-13, 11:07 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the OP an Engineer?

the more you know the less you need.
Old 05-20-13, 11:55 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
this or a bottle storage container. You should not need 2 water bottles if you are riding less than 60 miles. If riding over 60 miles, you will likely stop for water anyways so you can still rock 1 water bottle. If all else fails, the 2nd bottle goes into your jersey.

1 tube, 2 co2, 2 plastic tire levers, multi-tool.

If you bring anything else then you're overpacking.

Old 05-21-13, 12:00 AM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think Cavendish has a guy that follows him around on a scooter with spare wheels etc on training rides. So he doesn't roll with a saddle bag
Old 05-21-13, 12:21 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2 tubes for sure. I learned this the hard way when I was 35 miles into a routine 50 mile ride, and failed to spot the tiny 2nd shard of metal in the tire after I pulled the first one out. Knew I was screwed when both tubes wouldn't inflate at all. I had to wait 20 minutes for another rider came and he was not happy that I took his only tube from him. Patch kit or 2nd tube for sure.
Old 05-21-13, 01:06 AM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
What I have not seen mentioned:

- Disposable gloves in latex/vinyl/nitrile, so you can keep the hands clean when doing repairs.
- Presta-Schrader adapter so you can use a service stations pump if necessary.
+1 on the gloves (and a couple of paper towels in a zip loc bag).

I carry:
2 tubes plus a patch kit.
2 spare CO2 cylinders plus one in the inflator.
boot
Quick stick
VAR tire jack (only way I can get my 650c Conti GP4000 on the rims)
Tire levers (probably should take them out since with the previous two items I don't need the levers)
chain tool (I usually am riding the fixed gear, so I don't use a quick link)
Mini tool (can't remember the brand off hand)
Park 4/5/6 ball hex wrench
8mm hex wrench (PW fixed gear hybs = no QR skewers)
Emergency cash ($20 - just in case I forgot my wallet/id)

This is in addition to a cliff bar and mini wallet (DL, credit card, insurance card) and cleat covers (Speedplays) in the jersey pocket, Road ID around the neck, and a minipump on the seat tube bottle cage.

I probably overpack, but I'm not a weight weenie, and I like to have backups (hence the pump and CO2).
Old 05-21-13, 02:25 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
I bring 2 co2's just incase i am a m0ran and screw up the first one. Pretty sure I'm going to start carrying only 1 co2.

The one time I got another flat after I screwed the pooch on the 1st tube, I just waited on the road until another cyclist rode by so I could ask for his help. Man up and ask for help, dont carry extra equipment cause you think you're a superhero. Most of the time I'm fixing my flats and like 5+ ppl will come by and ask me if I need help. Even while MTB'ing.

You can also ask drivers for help, I've asked a few for water once.
I very rarely see other cyclists on my rides and when I ride with friends, they typically have no spare tires, pumps, cartridges/inflators or tubes. I could call a cab if I needed to, but I think it's a lot more fun to be able to finish my ride than to have to call for help for every little defect because I had to look cool. I also find it funny that you think a bottle in jersey pocket looks better than a saddle bag on the bike.

Anyway, I carry tire levers, a spare tube, mini patch kit, multi tool with chain breaker, a quick link, a spoke wrench and a presta to schrader adapter in the saddle bag. I also have a mini pump on the frame. I could have all this in my pockets, but I prefer to have it on the bike and not have to think about it. I might add a derailleur cable too; it takes very little space and once it's in the bag I no longer have to think about it until I happen to need it.

Oh, and "You should not need 2 water bottles if you are riding less than 60 miles." - so, you never ride if it's above 23 C/75 F? Or is it just not cool/manly to drink enough during a ride?
Old 05-21-13, 07:03 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
Oh, and "You should not need 2 water bottles if you are riding less than 60 miles." - so, you never ride if it's above 23 C/75 F? Or is it just not cool/manly to drink enough during a ride?
I had missed that. That's funny. I once finished off (2) 1L bottles in 15 miles when riding hilly (up to 12%) terrain at 100F.
Old 05-21-13, 08:08 AM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgson
I just recently got my first bike, and now I want to put together an emergency kit before I go on any long rides. What do you guys generally carry with you? I obviously want to carry as little as possible, but I also want to be prepared. Here's what I've come up with so far:

pump (strapped to downtube)
multi tool (possibly this + additional tire levers)
2 spare tubes
patch kit
(cell phone, ID, etc.)
in this (small?) saddle bag
What am I missing, or where could I do better?
There are a couple of other brands of seat bags that have a bit more room in them, but I have some of the same as yours in use without issue. I carry only 1 spare tube and do carry an air head and two nitrogen catridges. I still carry a mini-pump on the back of the seatube up near the top (under the seat stays). I don't carry tire irons anymore, choosing instead to run tires I can change natively.

I put the IDs, wallet, and cell up front in a mini-saddler as in here; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This saddle bag is really cheap, but well made and a Samsung Note 2 Fablet (really awesome and thin but rather large screened) fits nicely in one of the side bags. For those chronically needing to be connected, a 6,000 mAmp hr backup battery ($15 delivered from 1-Sale-a-Day site fits nicely in the other side, etc. That second side could also be reserved for a few granola bars and a few days of any critical perscriptions, etc.

/K
Old 05-21-13, 08:12 AM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, lots of folks seem to be having lots of flats necessitating lots of tubes and fixes!

Are folks riding too small or too light of tires? Or not keeping pressure up?
Old 05-21-13, 08:39 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
See Rules 29,30, and 31

One tube carried up under seat between the rails
Two C02 cartridges held on one of these
Shiny object inflator and one tire lever in jersey

But, this is for group rides so I've got backup should I double flat. I've had it happen once in 3 years and ~6,000 miles. I always carry spare tubes in my car to pay back a friend should the need arise.
Old 05-21-13, 09:15 AM
ovoleg