Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lance Armstrong vs USPS Settlement

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lance Armstrong vs USPS Settlement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 09:52 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
You mean, Lance Edward Gunderson? According to CNN...
See!

I knew it.
Old 04-21-18, 11:01 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
obviously Gunder did not raise his son right.
Old 04-22-18, 10:13 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Armstrong wasn't just racing against his contemporaries-- he also was racing against champions of the past. Miguel Induráin, for example, only started winning Tours instead of just participating at the time EPO entered professional cycling in the early '90s
Old 04-23-18, 02:31 AM
sroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miguel Indurain had the good sense to keep his mouth shut and not bully people, though. When you tell Oprah "sorry, etc", that's when you know it doesn't really count.
Old 04-23-18, 04:06 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
@canklecat. Thats a good point above regarding the older athlete's more disciplined ability to endure discomfort, but wouldnt this ability alone conspire to help an older athlete achieve higher real world performance than he possibly would have 7-10 years earlier, when the vo2 max may genuinely have been a few points higher?

Interesting debate for sure.

I served in an elite branch of the military in my late teens and early to mid twenties, followed by a success in several 2 wheeled disciplines, motorized and non motorized when i got out, --- now in my mid forties, injuries have taken a toll and i frequently wake up stiff and with limited mobility

On the flip side is a good friend who was a stoner/slacker in his younger years and didnt start exercising until his late thirties. Now at 45, the guy clicks off enviable 5k times and is consistently near the top on his local strava gravel rides, --- while i am now content to walk on the treadmill and toodle along in the woods on my mountain bike at a relaxed pace

Different analogy to be sure, because neither one of us was ever at the top step of elite athletics, but i have seemingly burned a lot of matches on my way to 45 and have a quality of life to show for it, while this guy keeps getting better and better because he didnt beat himself down in his youth
Well if you were really in the delta force or somethign similar then you probably have about 200 minor injuries and half a dozen titanium bones. That is what happened to my brother and all the (living) guys he served with.

When I was a teen my max hr could go over 220 which I did not realize then was a big deal. My hr can't go that high now but my only real issue in my mid 40s is I am an overweight computer programmer. So if you weren't beat up you could probably do about as well as before even if not 100%.
Old 04-23-18, 05:38 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Screw Lance Armstrong.

He may have had some talent. He may have charmed a number of you when he met you. You were being played. It was calculation. Because the other side of his personality had no problems whatsoever engaging in politics of personal destruction whenever it suited his ego and his bankbook.

Consider the former team-mates he steamrolled. Dave Zabriskie was told (in not uncertain terms) to dope or lose his slot on the USPS team. Frankie Andrieu's career instantly ended when he wouldn't "control" what Betsy would say to Federal judges. Tyler Hamilton was essentially told to STFU in Federal depositions or be visited in the middle of the night. Just like organized crime in North Jersey. Awful nice career you got here, be a shame if something happened to it.

Floyd Landis, snake that he is, found himself on the outs after the UCI "discovered" he was taking steroids (wonder who tipped them off?). He ended up in cycling's ghetto. Well, Landis can now buy all the beer and 420-snakeoil raw materials he wants, on Lance's dime.

Lance was even more of an ******* to those who knew too much. Greg LeMond is a perfect example - guy lost his bike business, lost his cred in the cycling world, everything - mainly because Lance was offended by what he'd said and decided to go medieval on his ass.

Did Betsy Andrieu deserve to have her sanity repeatedly questioned?

Did Emma O'Reilly deserve to be called a drunken ***** and to have her career ended?

How about Paul Kimmage? Guy just wanted to get doping out of cycling, and for that he gets a UCI defamation (SLAPP) suit and a personal shank to the chest by Lance in front of sporting press. David Walsh got the shank as well, facing the same lawsuits and publishers who were totally hostile to everything he wrote.

Travis Tygart at USADA faced personal attacks, the-process-is-the-punishment lawsuits and obstruction (coordinated) at every turn.

And for what? Was being Cancer Jesus really that important?
Old 04-23-18, 10:09 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Aww, but I liked his cameo in Dodgeball. Tim
Old 04-23-18, 11:41 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Well if you were really in the delta force or somethign similar then you probably have about 200 minor injuries and half a dozen titanium bones. That is what happened to my brother and all the (living) guys he served with.

When I was a teen my max hr could go over 220 which I did not realize then was a big deal. My hr can't go that high now but my only real issue in my mid 40s is I am an overweight computer programmer. So if you weren't beat up you could probably do about as well as before even if not 100%.

Naah, nothing even close to being that advanced for me. When I served, there was a gradual ladder of progression that you followed before you even got close to a SF or Delta type slot . Primarily search and rescue and attached to an aviation unit - (looked for downed pilots, procured helo landing fields for mede-vacs, things like that ) --- if the ladder to Delta was 8 rungs high, I would have been on rung 2

I never knew what my max was as a kid, --- (Heart rate training was just coming into vogue in the early 90's) , but in my mid to late 20's it was darn easy to crack 195, --- now if I hit 170 I feel like i'm going to die

Interestingly enough, I have a relatively physical job - lots of climbing ladders and climbing steep roofs for insurance inspections. When I started wearing a Garmin watch, I found that throughout the day for hours at a time I was in a zone 1/zone 2 workout area per the watch (115-125 bpm)

A coach in another discipline advised me that that is a reason I am having trouble shedding pounds -- when I get on a treadmill or ride the trainer and try to stay in the "fat burning zone 2" --- my body doesn't really register that as being any different than climbing a 2 story roof at my job
Bummer, as when I step it up to 140-145 bpm or so, it starts to feel too much like work
Old 04-23-18, 12:35 PM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kunsunoke
Screw Lance Armstrong.

He may have had some talent. He may have charmed a number of you when he met you. You were being played. It was calculation. Because the other side of his personality had no problems whatsoever engaging in politics of personal destruction whenever it suited his ego and his bankbook.

Consider the former team-mates he steamrolled. Dave Zabriskie was told (in not uncertain terms) to dope or lose his slot on the USPS team. Frankie Andrieu's career instantly ended when he wouldn't "control" what Betsy would say to Federal judges. Tyler Hamilton was essentially told to STFU in Federal depositions or be visited in the middle of the night. Just like organized crime in North Jersey. Awful nice career you got here, be a shame if something happened to it.

Floyd Landis, snake that he is, found himself on the outs after the UCI "discovered" he was taking steroids (wonder who tipped them off?). He ended up in cycling's ghetto. Well, Landis can now buy all the beer and 420-snakeoil raw materials he wants, on Lance's dime.

Lance was even more of an ******* to those who knew too much. Greg LeMond is a perfect example - guy lost his bike business, lost his cred in the cycling world, everything - mainly because Lance was offended by what he'd said and decided to go medieval on his ass.

Did Betsy Andrieu deserve to have her sanity repeatedly questioned?

Did Emma O'Reilly deserve to be called a drunken ***** and to have her career ended?

How about Paul Kimmage? Guy just wanted to get doping out of cycling, and for that he gets a UCI defamation (SLAPP) suit and a personal shank to the chest by Lance in front of sporting press. David Walsh got the shank as well, facing the same lawsuits and publishers who were totally hostile to everything he wrote.

Travis Tygart at USADA faced personal attacks, the-process-is-the-punishment lawsuits and obstruction (coordinated) at every turn.

And for what? Was being Cancer Jesus really that important?

+1 Nice job of laying out the case; memory is often all too short when it comes to these situations.

Should we forgive LA? In all fairness: maybe. Someday. But not today... his behavior warranted the stripping of his 'champion' titles & stature.

-

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 04-23-18 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 12:37 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DIMcyclist
Nice job of laying out the case; memory is often all too short when it comes to these situations.
Nice job of laying out the prosecutorial case anyway.
Old 04-23-18, 12:38 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Let see judging by his reported actions off the "playing field" Lance was a jerk,sociopath, narcissist, arrogant, egotistical. Hmmm, sounds like he should get into politics.

What I know is he was the most entertaining TDF winner ever, and never saw any of those things while watching the TDF. However the TDF is the extent of me watching cycling . I'm not interested what my favorite team does as long as they win. If I were to care about how every athlete behaved off their playing field I wouldn't have any favorite teams in any sport.
Old 04-23-18, 12:42 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Now I want a bike racer name!

Something awesome sounding.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-23-18, 12:55 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Athletes don't often make the best role models as we have learned many times.

Someone whose job it is to win at all costs probably isn't the best role model.

To me, Lance Armstrong is what he is, neither good or bad. Just a human. He's done some good things and he's done some bad. Granted, if I was at the receiving end of his bad i'd probably feel differently, but I can't project those things onto myself at this time.

As for the USPS, that's a large, often failing, government institution so I have a hard time identifying with their cause as well.

Old 04-23-18, 01:19 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave

Any suggestions?
Dick Fitswell
Old 04-23-18, 01:37 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave

Any suggestions?
Max Power.
Old 04-23-18, 01:47 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Dick Fitswell
Hmm. I like it.
Old 04-23-18, 01:48 PM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kunsunoke
Screw Lance Armstrong...

..., Was being Cancer Jesus really that important?

Try on a little brain cancer of your own, and then decide. Yes, Lance is a jerk, but his recovery from effectively zero chance of survival to even ride in the TDF is a medical miracle.

His ban should stand, just like Pete Rose. Lifetime ban, once he's dead, put him in the Hall.

But put in Joe Jackson first...
Old 04-23-18, 01:49 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Max Power.
How about Tormund Giantsbane...?
Old 04-23-18, 02:57 PM
Mooo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SJM205
Try on a little brain cancer of your own, and then decide...
That's not a pass. Really, they are unrelated ... or they would be had he not clubbed everyone over the head with it. "Don't pick on me, I had cancer..." "If you think I so much as double parked, you must love cancer."

Is there a chart that says what diseases give you license for what crimes and which thuggish behaviors?

Maybe Bernie Madoff had gout.
Maybe Bob Vesco had an ulcer.
Maybe that guy who did a dine-n-dash had a troublesome hangnail.

No. Just no.

Edit: Turns out Bob Vesco actually had cancer. Or maybe not. He was slippery.

Last edited by Mooo; 04-23-18 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 03:06 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

Get used to it?

MEH.
Old 04-23-18, 03:09 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
A coach in another discipline advised me that that is a reason I am having trouble shedding pounds -- when I get on a treadmill or ride the trainer and try to stay in the "fat burning zone 2" --- my body doesn't really register that as being any different than climbing a 2 story roof at my job
Bummer, as when I step it up to 140-145 bpm or so, it starts to feel too much like work
Oh man that would suck. I guess you are kinda pre-worked out from the job though.
Old 04-23-18, 03:41 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
As like most everything, the battles of whom is right, wrong, cheat, liar, honest is only decided in the court. And then its all about how deep ones pocket is. The liar with the deepest pocket often win. Justice in America .... Lol
Old 04-23-18, 03:49 PM
crank_addict
Banned

What will we say when the day comes and the top cyclist is bio-mechanically superior vs. competitors?

Lets take it further and the 'bio-mechanical' champion decided to have the transformation done by choice?
Old 04-23-18, 03:59 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by SJM205
Try on a little brain cancer of your own, and then decide. Yes, Lance is a jerk, but his recovery from effectively zero chance of survival to even ride in the TDF is a medical miracle.

His ban should stand, just like Pete Rose. Lifetime ban, once he's dead, put him in the Hall.

But put in Joe Jackson first...
Greg Lemond after getting blasted and lead shot still in him made a 'miracle' comeback.

Armstrong, given his illness and comeback continued to 'blast' at Lemond. And of airing many personal matters of Greg's past.

I don't care what Armstrong had or has to battle with.
Old 04-23-18, 04:01 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
. I'm not interested what my favorite team does as long as they win. .
That right there is why America has Trump as POTUS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.