Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Turning the corner on doping in the UCI

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 07:21 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

McQuaid says they've turned the corner.

I think he has a point. You may differ.

Discuss.
Old 08-24-09, 07:27 PM
dmb2786

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think there's another thread
Old 08-24-09, 07:40 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by dmb2786
i think there's another thread
F the other thread. This is the authentic Pcad® Turned the Corner on Doping thread.
Old 08-24-09, 07:43 PM
challaday

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There may be a lag between the new testing regime and the tricks around the tests. For every testing regime there will be someone who figures out a way around the rules.

Turned the corner, no. Temporary roadblock, yes.
Old 08-24-09, 07:52 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Meanwhile, in the NFL, they're still trying to figure out how to situate the big stadium video screens so the punters don't hit it.

Idiots.

Maybe management is on steroids, which might explain such staggering stupidity.
Old 08-24-09, 07:52 PM
dmb2786

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
F the other thread. This is the authentic Pcad® Turned the Corner on Doping thread.
this is why i didn't post a link to the other thread disguised by a witty comment.
Old 08-24-09, 08:15 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
they haven't started testing for synvisc yet.
Old 08-24-09, 08:23 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Creakyknees
they haven't started testing for synvisc yet.
We'll all fail Creaky.
Old 08-24-09, 09:15 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
No positive results (yet) from the Tour means no one was doping during the Tour? Yeah right. A lack of scandal is great, but past experience makes it pretty clear that a lack of positives only mean that no one was caught. That's not really turning the corner.
Old 08-24-09, 09:25 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"It's looking like the Tour de France will not have any positive tests for a number of years."
and then Lance will retire,........again.

Pcad, Does this not start to feel like a record skip? Iwish,...I really, really do,........that I could believe that the UCI and ASO aren't currently involved in compromise solutions that do as much to turn a blind eye, as they do, actually clean the sport up. I just find it very hard to believe that for three years running the entire pro peleton, including the tour, is hounded by constant positive tests, then,........suddenly, "it's cleaned up".
Old 08-24-09, 09:35 PM
challaday

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meanwhile, in the NFL, they're still trying to figure out how to situate the big stadium video screens so the punters don't hit it.

Idiots.

Maybe management is on steroids, which might explain such staggering stupidity.
I hadn't seen that particular issue with the new stadium, but it is really hilarious. But Jerry Jones on steroids could explain many of his stupid decisions like his penchant for facelifts.
Old 08-24-09, 09:45 PM
boniek1982
Rower

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're all doping...just look at the historical performance results and their improvement. And please dont tell me crap about nutrition. Simple case in point, the all-time best results on Alpe d'Huez:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Alpe_d%27Huez

See who's at the very bottom - LeMond and Hinault. You mean to tell me a guy like Pantani or Urlich were almost 10 minutes better than those two?

Same applies to track and field, and Mr. Bolt. I dont buy any of it and those that do, you are being naive.

When baseball records started falling with McGuire/Sosa/Bonds everyone was in complete denial about it. Same thing applies to todays world of Cycling and Track...

Doesnt mean I cant enjoy it. I do. Just the historical perspective is gone.
Old 08-24-09, 09:47 PM
Keith S

Bikes: Klien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did the speed on the flats and climbs compare to previous years when there were a lot of positives? If they were comparable then I would assume doping is still prevalent. The cyclists and their doctors will always be one step ahead of the testers with drugs that are undetectable. This is not just in cycling, but also track and field etc.
Old 08-24-09, 09:53 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
No positive results (yet) from the Tour means no one was doping during the Tour? Yeah right. A lack of scandal is great, but past experience makes it pretty clear that a lack of positives only mean that no one was caught. That's not really turning the corner.
I'm inclined to believe that there is something new that's being used. I find it very dubious that nobody tested positive. There were also very few positives at the track and field World Championships. Hard to believe that all participants have suddenly gotten clean.
Old 08-25-09, 03:33 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by boniek1982

See who's at the very bottom - LeMond and Hinault. You mean to tell me a guy like Pantani or Urlich were almost 10 minutes better than those two?

Same applies to track and field, and Mr. Bolt. I dont buy any of it and those that do, you are being naive.
Actually, you are being oblivious, considering that fact that F. Coppi rode the Alpe several minutes faster than Lemond in 1952 on a 20 lb + ancient bicycle. Bugno and Indurain were both sub-40 minutes as far back as 1991. What were those guys on? Coffee?
Old 08-25-09, 06:41 AM
hipcheck5
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which leads me to this question:

What will it take for you (and others) to actually believe testing that does not produce positive results.
Old 08-25-09, 09:54 AM
luxroadie
I read more than post

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, you are being oblivious, considering that fact that F. Coppi rode the Alpe several minutes faster than Lemond in 1952 on a 20 lb + ancient bicycle. Bugno and Indurain were both sub-40 minutes as far back as 1991. What were those guys on? Coffee?

They were on UPPERS

boniek1982 - your logic here is that

1) all people who rode in the 50s were clean,
2) all people who ride in the 90s and beyond are riding much faster than those in the 50s,
3) drugs make people ride faster

Therefore - all riders in the 90s and beyond are on drugs.

Sorry - but that is flawed logic. Even those who are not on drugs will demonstrate significant improvement in times/performance when compared to those in the 50s - technology is the largest reason. Better bikes, better and more specified training, and (most importantly in my opinion) better roads!

Backing this up with some all important anecdotal evidence - even those who cheated and then came back (mostly?) clean are able to perform at similar if not identical levels.

Drugs don't really make a difference on ONE day. They make a difference over MANY days.

Unless you are talking uppers! Read Joe Parkins book for some good stories of what a guy on uppers can do with a bike!!!
Old 08-25-09, 11:26 AM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Bikes: Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boniek1982
They're all doping...just look at the historical performance results and their improvement. And please dont tell me crap about nutrition. Simple case in point, the all-time best results on Alpe d'Huez:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Alpe_d%27Huez

When baseball records started falling with McGuire/Sosa/Bonds everyone was in complete denial about it. Same thing applies to todays world of Cycling and Track...

Doesnt mean I cant enjoy it. I do. Just the historical perspective is gone.
Are you saying drugs gave these guys a 10 minute advantage on a 40 minute climb? I'm not buying that at all. Did drugs possibly give them a few minutes? Sure I can buy that completely...Coppi in 1952 put almost 3 minutes on Lemond's and Hinault's fastest climb up the Alpe d'Huez. Luis Herrera put 6 minutes into them on that climb. Looks to me that they didn't climb it all that fast. Honestly, I think that the lighter bikes, paired with the training, and the team strategies of today have really helped this era of cyclist. Are drugs not helping them? I wouldnt' go that far but I don't think drugs are the only reason they are better.
Old 08-25-09, 02:57 PM
Tourmalet
Col du

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will share a theory of mine with this topic. TdF doping control seems to be more strict than other races. Evidence: Ricco got away with it at the Giro but got caught at the TdF. If so, then a clever rider would dope early in the season while training for the Giro. He'd kick ass at the Giro and then he'd stop taking the stuff and go to the Tour clean, with some modest performance enhancing benefits still with him.

It would explain why several riders (we know who they are) did so well at the Giro and/or at Dauphine, but just blew up at TdF.
Old 08-26-09, 10:58 AM
boniek1982
Rower

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luxroadie
They were on UPPERS

boniek1982 - your logic here is that

1) all people who rode in the 50s were clean,
2) all people who ride in the 90s and beyond are riding much faster than those in the 50s,
3) drugs make people ride faster

Therefore - all riders in the 90s and beyond are on drugs.

Sorry - but that is flawed logic. Even those who are not on drugs will demonstrate significant improvement in times/performance when compared to those in the 50s - technology is the largest reason. Better bikes, better and more specified training, and (most importantly in my opinion) better roads!

Backing this up with some all important anecdotal evidence - even those who cheated and then came back (mostly?) clean are able to perform at similar if not identical levels.

Drugs don't really make a difference on ONE day. They make a difference over MANY days.

Unless you are talking uppers! Read Joe Parkins book for some good stories of what a guy on uppers can do with a bike!!!
I wasnt even looking at the 50s - I am sure they were on something else at that time. My point was that respected champions like LeMond and Hinault couldnt make it into the top 20. How do you explain that?

Does the EPO madness explain the 10 minute gap? Probably not entirely, because yes there are advances in tactics, equipment and training. But still its shocking to see such a discprenancy and so far NONE of you have been able to explain that.
Old 08-26-09, 01:07 PM
nafun
squid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Autologous blood doping. The testers acknowledge there is still no way for them to detect it. Does anyone think it doesn't happen any more just because Fuentes got busted?
Old 08-26-09, 08:13 PM
Mooo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Reminds me ....

I went to a doping symposium and a bicycle race broke out.

(apologies to fans of both hockey and the original joke)
Old 08-26-09, 09:17 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Either people are not using drugs or they're using less drugs....both of those are steps in the right direction.
Old 08-27-09, 06:57 AM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Actually they were on cigarettes. In time we will find out all about how smoking improves an athletes performance. You'll see, I just know it.
Old 08-27-09, 04:06 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nafun
Autologous blood doping. The testers acknowledge there is still no way for them to detect it. Does anyone think it doesn't happen any more just because Fuentes got busted?
Yeah, but they can and do check hematocrit level. That severely limits the effectiveness of blood doping.

- Will Rogers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.