Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who uses Rx Sunglasses?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who uses Rx Sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 12:08 PM
therh

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 (Tiagra)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who uses Rx Sunglasses?

I have an recently started wearing glasses and looking into getting a pair of Rx sunglasses for riding. What do you wear? (brand, and type-i.e. rimless etc)

Thanks
Old 05-05-14, 12:20 PM
thunderworks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Rudy Project, model Noyz with my prescription. The optical quality of the Rudy glasses is excellent.
Old 05-05-14, 12:33 PM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I wear Oakleys and like them.
Old 05-05-14, 12:34 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Look into prescription safety glasses. I ordered from RX Safety in NJ and got no name full wrap frames, tinted anti-fog lenses for like $135. After years of riding with just street glasses, these things are awesome.
Old 05-05-14, 12:39 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Wiley X

Wiley X Prescription Sunglasses: Premium Frames & Performance Lenses
Old 05-05-14, 01:15 PM
Niloc

Bikes: 80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used Wiley X until I lost em. I've now got a pair of Switch vision Lycans. They have this neat magnetically interchangeable lens system. I'm planning on ordering two sets of prescription lenses: one a polarized mirror lens for snow / water sports (and cycling on bright sunny days), and one a "shade" lens in rose tint that increases contrast and should be good for the mixed lighting conditions I experience cycling around here (partial clouds / tree canopy overhead etc).
Old 05-05-14, 01:24 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I don't need cycling specific sunglasses. I just have my prescription all-purpose glasses made with Transition light-reactive darkening lenses. One pair of glasses for everything.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-05-14, 01:43 PM
ColnagoC40

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use multi focal and tried a pair. The frames were not expensive, thought I would experiment first.

Back to my contacts.

The sunglasses are great off the bike, but on the bike I hate them. They seem to enlarge everything, a pothole appears much larger, a curb much higher and it feels as if I am riding uphill all the time.

Could be the shape of the lenses with riding position?

Don't want to try a pair at $600+ and get the same experience.
Old 05-05-14, 02:09 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
progressive lens Rx here. currently Oakley half-jacket 2.0. prior Rudy Project and a couple other brands. primary issue is i'm an old f*rt and my prescription keeps getting worse, so this gets expensive getting new progressive lens custom made (because frame providers won't/can't provide some corrections) every 18 months or so (but hey it's only money and looking cool is what really counts)....

lesson learned, skip polarization on riding-only glasses, makes the really dark stuff look "wet" or otherwise strange...

if i'd ever worn contacts, i never would have bothered with prescription sunglasses...too late now (old dog new tricks etc)
Old 05-05-14, 03:27 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Oakley Racing Jacket frames with lenses from ADS eyewear. My prescription is just outside what Oakley makes lenses for one eye. They are digital prescription, which was weird at first for me, used to turning my head to see things in focus. It's pretty impressive, not a whole lot of warping. They're full frames, fairly thick, but at least for my face they don't block my vision. I think some people have that complaint.

I think they're kind of love-them-or-hate-them frames.

I have vented lenses, and that was a problem in a torrential downpour with 35mph gust crosswinds blowing road spray through them and into my eyes, so I'd like an extra set with no vents for those times rule 9 is in effect. Changing lenses is extremely easy with these frames.
Old 05-05-14, 03:49 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have Rudy Project frames with a snap in prescription insert. This allows me to change the primary lens to suite the riding conditions and only need i set of prescription inserts.
Old 05-05-14, 04:13 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Progressive bifocal riding glasses. Frames are RayBan.
Old 05-05-14, 04:42 PM
odleo

Bikes: Raliegh Grand Sport, Raliegh Talus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my regular prescriptions sunglasses for now. I am going to get sunglasses made in a safety lens next time I go to the optometrist.
Cheaper than if I break my regular sunglasses
Old 05-05-14, 05:26 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
What kind of prescription? If they are primarily reading glasses, I have a simple cheap solution. I use wrap around industrial safety glasses with cheaters built in. They match my regular glasses perfectly and cost $7.00 (YES, seven dollars). When I'm wearing them you don't know that they aren't super expensive. I'm also confident that should I crash, they won't shatter.
Old 05-05-14, 05:35 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I don't need cycling specific sunglasses. I just have my prescription all-purpose glasses made with Transition light-reactive darkening lenses. One pair of glasses for everything.
Same here, no need for cycling specific eyewear or dedicated dark tint.

-Bandera
Old 05-05-14, 06:15 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rudy Project Maya. The only style that would fit my funky prescription. Just clear lenses for now. I like them.

I cheap out on a lot of stuff, but this didn't seem like the place to do that.
Old 05-05-14, 06:18 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderworks
I use Rudy Project, model Noyz with my prescription. The optical quality of the Rudy glasses is excellent.
same here. I got transition lenses that go from clear to 70% or so. Great as I can start out in the dark and have the lenses shift from clear to as dark as needed or vice versa. Comfortable, works well and I consider them one of the best cycling gear purchases I made to date.
Old 05-05-14, 06:22 PM
KantoBoy

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oakley Scalpel
Single Vision
Transitions Lenses
Excellent for any weather

Some random Lacoste frame
Single Vision
Polarized with mirrored tint
Excellent for very sunny days
Single Vision
Old 05-05-14, 06:23 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A pair of Bolle Paroles (no longer made but you can find them on e-bay) with the Rx insert . I've been using them for about 10 years, changeable lens, replacing parts or scratched lens as they get damaged. Also easy to change your prescriptions.
Old 05-05-14, 06:28 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
If you wear bifocals don't make the same mistake I did of not getting bifocals for your sunglasses. Reading stuff is a PITA. As far as polarized, it messes with being able to see my cyclometer.
Old 05-05-14, 06:36 PM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderworks
Same here. Rudy Noyz with Photocromic Red and Polarized Grey
Old 05-05-14, 06:45 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Used inserts in the past, too much futzing around for me. Now I just have Costco cheapies. Not a "sports" sunglass but close enough. Don't like transitions. I have progressive bifocals, but just went with my distance correction for the sunglasses. Works fine for me (have Garmin 800). I use very dark lenses as the glare kills me (I was a naval officer and spend hours staring at the water).

scott s.
Old 05-05-14, 06:49 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clausen
A pair of Bolle Paroles (no longer made but you can find them on e-bay) with the Rx insert . I've been using them for about 10 years, changeable lens, replacing parts or scratched lens as they get damaged. Also easy to change your prescriptions.
Same here. I think they still are made though as I bought mine a couple months ago.
Old 05-05-14, 07:04 PM
therh

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 (Tiagra)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, just home and lots of information here. I will have to give this a good read though shortly.
Old 05-05-14, 07:20 PM
195cranky

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have worn rx sunglasses for many years from being on snow year round and in the ski industry. Your eyes are worth every penny that you pay in quality of lens and prescription correction as needed, as well as UV protection and anti-breakage. Have used expensive big name frames and have learned recently to save some money on frames by buying Tifosi or Scattante frames in model, style and OK - color that works for bike helmet wearing and reading Garmin. I'm happy to pay for quality lenses and have used Bret, owner of Sports Optical in Denver. He knows his stuff and is a pioneer in grinding lenses for strong prescriptions for curved sports frames. I have several frames for skiing, riding, and casual wear. Lenses for different light conditions and Bret has done all these lenses for me and I have had real good luck with quality, grinds and correction, lens coatings/colors, and fitting in frame. Highly recommend him and wish you good luck in your pursuit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.