Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gloves: What to Look for?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 01:07 PM
gbiker

Bikes: Secteur, Camber, Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm about to head down to my LBS and get some gloves to try to keep my fingers from falling asleep on longer rides. They have one wall and many bins full of gloves (dozens and dozens of different gloves). Anything I should look for, other than a good fit and I guess gel pads? I assume I want fingerless too.
Old 06-04-11, 01:23 PM
jrobe

Liked 49 Times in 25 Posts
I wasted more money on gloves (name brand gloves) that didn't hold up well. Finally I stumbled on a pair of Craft gloves that have now lasted me three years. They are very well made (quality material, heavy duty stitching, etc.). They don't have any "gel padding" but the padding they have is in just the right place and they work great. They weren't cheap but they have actually saved me money in the long run.

I would look for the best quality gloves you can find (even if that means buying online).
Old 06-04-11, 01:47 PM
Kylerk

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2011), Santa Cruz Superlight (2000), Jamis Coda Comp (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to looking for good vibration absorption and fit, some of them have an absorbent material on the back (like terry cloth) to wipe the sweat from your forehead and brows. Don't get gloves that have too much padding - they can result in an unnatural position on the handlebars and can actually cause compression of the nerves in your hands, and they can cause you to lose your "feel for the road".

Just in case the new better fitting gel-padded gloves don't make any difference, you may want to ask the LBS if they could help you with a basic fitting (seat up/down, fore/aft). In my experience, changing gloves never helped much in solving hand numbness - the solution has always been some sort of seat adjustment to take pressure (weight) off of my hands. The fact that you're getting numbness late in long rides, could indicate that your position on the bike is changing as you become fatigued and it's resulting in you leaning forward and putting more pressure on your hands. With my riding position dialed in correctly, the primary reason that I wear gloves is to prevent callouses.
Old 06-04-11, 02:01 PM
BentLink

Bikes: '86 Cannondale SR400, '86 Pugeot PX10, '92 Bianchi Axis, '95 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, '00 Fondriest X-Status, '08 Specialized Roubaix, '13 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Padding has got to fit you. One pair somehow pressed my ulnar nerve and two fingers went numb/tingly. Most others don't. This'll depend on your particular physiology.

Big +1 on absorbent back...Hay fever season demands no less.
Old 06-04-11, 02:42 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
My favorites are an old pair of thick (compared to the fine leather new ones) leather gloves.
I find most have padding I don't care about and are made of such soft, fine leather they wear out too quickly.

The other option is just to go cheap as possible and figure they're like tires; things that don't last long.
Old 06-04-11, 03:15 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've tried a few. I settled on a pair of Louis Garneau Air Carbon gloves.
They've stayed cool enough for me during the summers.
I gladly paid $40. for them, but they can be found now for $20. I think they are a great value.
Very comfortable, but not so much so that they make me feel disconnected from the road.

It's hard to know what you personally need/want.
I like gel. I like quality materials that can be washed a lot.
The Louis Garneaus I chose made a huge difference in my riding experience.
Old 06-04-11, 03:37 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of those LGs, and they seem like they would be fantastic gloves for me if they weren't a smidgen small (I wear XL in most gloves, XXL if I can get them). Unfortunately they cut into the webbing between my fingers and get a bit painful after an hour or so.

I agree with the previously stated opinion that too much gel is not good. I like a fairly thin pad, and if there is gel I like it to be thin like the LGs. I've got Descente Supreme gloves that I really like, and I'm a fan of the Specialized BG Pro glove, but the BG Gel has too much padding for my taste.

Anyone have a way to stretch a glove out? I'd really like those LG's to work for me.
Old 06-04-11, 03:54 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized BG Pro gloves. I just like padding on the heels of my hands. Make sure the velcro, if the gloves have it, is on the outside of the glove, not the inside which can result in getting hooked on stuff.
Old 06-04-11, 03:58 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro Monacos are very good gloves. Real leather (Pittard) palms are more durable than Clarino " synthetic leather". Colored models get back-of-hand sun-bleached color wash out, but the gloves otherwise hold up fine. Wait until October-December for major discount prices.

I also like Specialized BG Pro gloves. I think Monacos are better, but you decide.

I tried a pair of PI "clarino leather palm" gloves, not doing that again, they just didn't hold up with long, rigorous riding.

Last edited by Eclectus; 06-04-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-04-11, 04:11 PM
St_Pete_Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Louis Garneau (2 pair) and really like them. I have fairly big hands and they are tight for the first few rides and then they stretch out. These have become my favorites after using Specialized for a long time.
Old 06-04-11, 04:42 PM
I_Like_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gloves are gloves. For me at least. I can't ride without them though. I sweat to much and without them my hands slip on the hoods.
Old 06-04-11, 05:32 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
I have a pair of those LGs, and they seem like they would be fantastic gloves for me if they weren't a smidgen small (I wear XL in most gloves, XXL if I can get them). Unfortunately they cut into the webbing between my fingers and get a bit painful after an hour or so.

I agree with the previously stated opinion that too much gel is not good. I like a fairly thin pad, and if there is gel I like it to be thin like the LGs. I've got Descente Supreme gloves that I really like, and I'm a fan of the Specialized BG Pro glove, but the BG Gel has too much padding for my taste.

Anyone have a way to stretch a glove out? I'd really like those LG's to work for me.
I was going to suggest "how" before I even read the last line.

It might sound wierd, but soak them in water, squeeze the excess water out of them, then wear them.
Make fists, manipulate your fingers, stretch your hands and keep working the material.
They'll begin to conform to your hands. I have big hands myself. I have the XL pair.
I learned this trick with my Ironclad Work Gloves by accident
(they were tight until I had to work with them in a rain storm).
Old 06-04-11, 05:40 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ooo...something for you old-schoolers. <$14.

https://www.realcyclist.com/louis-gar...c-001b2166c62d
Old 06-04-11, 05:57 PM
gbiker

Bikes: Secteur, Camber, Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody -- lots of good info!

I'll likely try to bug the LBS where I bought my bike to check its fit. It's pretty much the first two fingers on my left hand that fall asleep.
Old 06-04-11, 06:15 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just remember...

Old 06-04-11, 06:34 PM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The specialized body technology or something gloves that were recommended on here are the only ones that keep my hands from going numb. All the gel ones kill me. They were like $30 on the specialized website.
Old 06-04-11, 08:25 PM
lmcq784

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert, 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by island rider
Specialized BG Pro gloves. I just like padding on the heels of my hands. Make sure the velcro, if the gloves have it, is on the outside of the glove, not the inside which can result in getting hooked on stuff.
+1 - I love my Specialized BG Pro glove. They actually (supposedly, claims) studied how the nerve gets pinched, and puts padding around the nerve so you avoid pinching it, and having your hands fall asleep.

I have the ones that don't have velcro, with the nice Pittard leather palm, and a very breathable back.
Old 06-04-11, 08:28 PM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I buy anymore are unpadded gloves. I love the feel of the road. You may think "If you're wearing unpadded gloves, why wear gloves at all?" The answer is the abrasion can wear on the heels of my hands after changing position and sliding my palms all over the top of my bar.
Old 06-04-11, 08:49 PM
Sherblock

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a pair of Specialized BodyGeometry Sport, which are great so far. IMO, the best part about gloves is you can get a great pair for $20, and if they aren't so great than it's only $20!
Old 06-05-11, 12:27 AM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gloves are subjective. i prefer gloves with minimal padding. i like the terry section on the thumbs for wiping sweat. i also like the little finger loops for removing the gloves. i have a pair of craft and a pair of castelli gloves that are great. i currently ride most of my miles in these: https://www.probikekit.com/us/clothin...s-mitts-1.html