Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Harrison Twp Mi: Bike Path Repairs

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-22, 08:05 AM
detroitjim

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts

Good news for those that ride the bike paths in Harrison Township !
Likely that the bulk of the work will be done to the Freedom Trail (south side of Metropolitan Parkway).
A fellow bicyclist mentioned that the trail had become quite bumpy ,especially where tree roots have cracked the paths' pavement.
It was also relayed that there were recently painted markings at the areas of damage.
Harrison township section to the Freedom Trail begins east of Union Lake road and extends to Jefferson.
Will post specifics if I can find any.

Harrison Township trustees approve bike path repairs

By: Dean Vaglia | Mount Clemens-Clinton-Harrison Journal | Published September 30, 2022
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — At its Sept. 26 meeting, the Harrison Township Board of Trustees voted unanimously to approve repairing bike paths throughout the township.“Some of our bike paths are newer and might only need crack sealing,” Township Supervisor Ken Verkest said. “Some of the sections have suffered significant damage due to roots and need some complete rehabilitation.”

After having an engineering firm analyze the township’s bike paths, the cost to repair the paths was estimated at $750,000, and bids for the project came in the week before the meeting.

Township Engineer David Nummer stated that one contractor, James P Contracting Inc., indicated that the work could be “substantially completed” by November. Nummer also learned that about $215,000 in grants might be available to pay for bike path work. Both developments caused the item’s late addition to the agenda.

The lone bid for the project was for $752,750. Another contractor inquired about the work but did not submit a bid.

Nummer estimated the township would have five years of good bike paths once the repairs are completed.
Old 10-03-22, 10:21 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,936 Posts
quarter of a million dollars for in hopes of 5 years safe use, for non warrantied work. Requirements for the pathway work "repair" concerns me. What are the difference between path complete rehabilitation & path repair regarding physical work & materials?
I thought that path was the responsibility of the county & not the one twp. ? IIRC, that section goes thru more than one jurisdiction.
Old 10-14-22, 03:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,936 Posts
So I happened to chat with someone involved with the work & they estimated 2 years before the work is completed, once they start.