Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gugie002

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-21, 05:27 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Friend of mine wanted a Rohloff Rivendell. Grant sez he doesn't want to go there. He knows I just took the UBI framebuilding class, and asks if I'm ready for #2. We get to talking, he fronts me a frame jig.

Rohloff needs a beefy dropout for the OEM attachment. No way an anti-torque bar is getting bolted up to the chain stay.

He wanted a diagatube. I tried to talk him out of it. He reminded me that he's 6'6", and hates having to reach down so far for water. I relent.

Try and find a set of lugs for that middle tube. So I make custom set.

He has a hankering for hellenic stays. He also has a tendency to break seat post binder posts, and asks, "A spare?"
I relent, and come up with a custom seat lug.

Centerpull brake posts, internal fork and downtube wiring, custom front rack and lowriders. 700c wheels with the new 44mm wide Snowqualmie Pass tires. Fenders, of course.

A mad dash the last 3 days to get it done.

Some sanding to do, but that's a wrap.

Amazing, especially for three days + design!

I got a question if you don't mind: When one makes an Hellenic seatstay attachment, does one leave that TT butt at the seat tube long enough to link in the seatstays where the TT has more meat and greater strength? Seems to me nearly all the rider mass plus the shock load from rear wheel road shocks is going right into that poor little 0.4 mm tube section (depending on the tubeset and alloy of course). We know darn well these deigns have been done and with success, so I'm not suggesting it isn't feasible. But how is it normally done, or in your opinion, how should it be done??

The visible geometry certainly suggests the short length of TT opens up another degree of flex freedom compared to the grand conjunction of TT, ST, and seatstays. But it it really more flexy?
Old 08-14-21, 05:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Amazing, especially for three days + design!

I got a question if you don't mind: When one makes an Hellenic seatstay attachment, does one leave that TT butt at the seat tube long enough to link in the seatstays where the TT has more meat and greater strength? Seems to me nearly all the rider mass plus the shock load from rear wheel road shocks is going right into that poor little 0.4 mm tube section (depending on the tubeset and alloy of course). We know darn well these deigns have been done and with success, so I'm not suggesting it isn't feasible. But how is it normally done, or in your opinion, how should it be done??

The visible geometry certainly suggests the short length of TT opens up another degree of flex freedom compared to the grand conjunction of TT, ST, and seatstays. But it it really more flexy?
3 days?

Here's my Flickr album for this build. First pic is July 17, 2016 showing the start of drawing it up, last one with me holding finished frame and fork is November 13 same year.

To be honest, I didn't give the Hellenic stays a lot of structural analysis, just knew that there are many examples from the past and present. I have a Jo Routens that attaches directly to the seat stays.

But it has 120mm dropout spacing, whereas the Hunquarohloff is 135. That splays the rear out wider, and @BoltBreaker didn't want the chainstays bent, so I came up with the spacer idea.

Seeing as you did the potential for additional forces on a thin tube, I made a custom seat lug to reinforce the area.

How should it be done? Dunno, this was just my solution. YMMV.
Old 08-14-21, 07:21 PM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

Bikes: Two Rivs, and a bespoke Gugie

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts
As mentioned elsewheres, gugie and I go back, way back, least 20 pounds ago (in my own case, can't speak to anyone else's degradation). And prior to his even starting in on drawings, let alone fabricazione!, we had many upon many discussions about this future Rohloffer frame, that RBW rightly would not touch. Though to be honest, Fitz in Santa Rosa was ready to touch but when I heard my good friend, who spoke at my wedding, and me at his, was pronounced a Graduate cumma some loudly of the International Brotherhood of FrameMakers Guild, PDX affiliation, I said sure, What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

The Hellenic Stays and their complementary Gugificazione! lug were a perfect example of the Function over Form approach to Engineering problems he and I have embraced since, well, 1992, if not before.

True, he might look a bit fruity at times...

But this man knows how to braze the lugs!

Er, well, he knows how to kiss the ladies, let's just say. Mooving right along... the frame issues were discussed, vetted, argued over, and both parties were happy with the resolution.

My only comment, after riding the freshly painted (in RBG and RWB Cream) frame is that the seat stays gently graze my flabby thighs. Not that that's a problem, right?

Likes For BoltBreaker:
Old 08-15-21, 05:35 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I did say "3 days + design."
Old 09-20-21, 07:36 PM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

I think it wholly appropriate that gugie got to take his creation for a spin after his Coastal tramp to Cambria. The look on his face shows it all, though it also masks the pain of smashing the boys on the TT, just trying to get aboard the tall beast.

Old 09-29-21, 09:49 PM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

And... almost done... a finishing touch. Every bike should have a beautiful head badge.

Old 09-30-21, 09:01 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
I love everything about it, including the size and digitube.

When I got my custom it took me 2 days to build it up. How could you wait 4 years? You're obviously no a Christmas Eve present opener.
Old 09-30-21, 09:55 AM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

Originally Posted by Kobe
I love everything about it, including the size and digitube.

When I got my custom it took me 2 days to build it up. How could you wait 4 years? You're obviously no a Christmas Eve present opener.
The demand letters from gugie were near relentless... "When you going to get that thing painted?" "Do I need to come down and press the headset bearings myself?" "That's not patina, it's rust!" Eventually, I decided to open one of his emails, and realized the error of my ways. I sent the unpainted frame back earlier this year for a small, minor, almost inconsequential adjustment, and then it was off to the races. Once it was back from the painter, yes, it was hard watching the paint cure, waiting to attach the bits. Anyway, here we are and it is a delight to ride. Looks pretty nice with the wet paint, too.
Old 09-30-21, 11:14 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
BikeForums in 2070: "Has anyone heard of Guglielmana bikes?" Someone will speak up and talk about the differences between this one, the North Trask model, and the various Gugificazione bikes.
Old 09-30-21, 11:41 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
BikeForums in 2070: "Has anyone heard of Guglielmana bikes?" Someone will speak up and talk about the differences between this one, the North Trask model, and the various Gugificazione bikes.
And the various spellings of the name? But which one is correct?!
Old 09-30-21, 12:50 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
And the various spellings of the name? But which one is correct?!
How do you pronounce "gugie"? Is it "goo-jee", "gooey", or "ghoulie"?
Old 09-30-21, 12:57 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Jesus that looks like someone built a fork using a 1919 Browning shroud

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
OK, you first:

Old 09-30-21, 02:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by BoltBreaker
And... almost done... a finishing touch. Every bike should have a beautiful head badge.

Need to make sure that @rhm gets credit for that head badge!
Old 09-30-21, 06:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Need to make sure that @rhm gets credit for that head badge!
No doubt, that HB is fantastic, goes perfect with the rest.
Old 09-30-21, 06:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by BoltBreaker

there really something about a headbadge that makes a bike, and in this case the class head badge matches the class bike. A gugie decal would just not cut it

Likes For squirtdad: