Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rossin find

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 06:24 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
3ttt panto stem and Merckx bend bars arrived today. Very pleased, they’re exactly what I was looking for.

Likes For velomateo:
Old 02-17-22, 09:07 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
My Ghibli is on the way from Romania...

Exciting. The panto stem was shipped from the Netherlands. Took a chance on a seller with only 2 reviews, I'm glad it worked out.
Old 02-17-22, 09:30 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,967 Posts
Originally Posted by velomateo
Exciting. The panto stem was shipped from the Netherlands. Took a chance on a seller with only 2 reviews, I'm glad it worked out.
Nooo...I am only getting that bottom bracket shell. Sorry, I was making a joke that the shell is as close to a Ghibli as I am getting...

and I have had great luck overseas. One bent drop adjuster screw and one small scratch in all my purchases from Italy, Poland, Ukraine France and England.
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 02-17-22, 12:38 PM
velomateo

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Nooo...I am only getting that bottom bracket shell. Sorry, I was making a joke that the shell is as close to a Ghibli as I am getting...

and I have had great luck overseas. One bent drop adjuster screw and one small scratch in all my purchases from Italy, Poland, Ukraine France and England.

Haha, I thought you were just using the Ghibli bb pic only as a reference. That should make a nice shelf or desk piece though.
Old 02-17-22, 12:52 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Haha, I thought you were just using the Ghibli bb pic only as a reference. That should make a nice shelf or desk piece though.
It was an impulse buy for sure. The seller apparently de-rusted it before sending so I might have to paint it red or something...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 02-17-22, 04:13 PM
velomateo

Here’s the bare frame after removing what was left of the original decals. Also, I found the serial number stamp on the left dropout. Always just expect the serial number to be on the bottom bracket, so I never checked back there.

I bought some 1500 and 3000 grit sand paper. I
can feel a very thin clear coat outlining the former decals. So I’ll try to level off the paint and buff it out, before installing new decals. Paint under the decals looks very glossy and smooth.

This is where the patience thing will come in to play. I expect this paint to be on thin side, so I don’t want to be too aggressive and blow through it. Baby steps.

Old 02-17-22, 08:08 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
All the Rossins I saw in Toronto were sold frame/fork only. Not that that justifies Shimano parts...
Why not? If anything, you get a period correct, catalog correct, bike that works better than the available Campagnolo at the time. Of my three, the oldest one is 7400 Dura Ace, the solid color purple one is 600 Tricolor, and the latest addition was finally built in Nuevo Record. I still prefer the two Shimano equipped ones.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-17-22, 08:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
sykerocker I forgot to put a silly 'innocent' emoticon or something. I ride Shimano lots.
Old 02-18-22, 03:57 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Just found this thread today - don't know how I missed it. What a neat project! In the end you're going to wind up with a super-nice bike, with components that have seen little use (those chainrings!) - and they were nearly free. Plus, a Hi-Low just happened to be lurking out back on the Cannondale? You can't make this stuff up.

Are you planning on replacing the decals or is it going to be a stealth build?

Looking good so far; subbed to keep track of further developments

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-18-22, 10:59 PM
velomateo

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Just found this thread today - don't know how I missed it. What a neat project! In the end you're going to wind up with a super-nice bike, with components that have seen little use (those chainrings!) - and they were nearly free. Plus, a Hi-Low just happened to be lurking out back on the Cannondale? You can't make this stuff up.

Are you planning on replacing the decals or is it going to be a stealth build?

Looking good so far; subbed to keep track of further developments

DD
Thanks, I have had some good luck with this one...I think I'm due though.

New decals will be applied after I'm done cleaning up the paint. I was actually just checking what was available vs what it had (left) on it. Velocals and Cyclomondo have good choices for the white decals with all the bands. Both kits offer the top tube decal, but this bike didn't have it originally. I could always just leave it off though. I have only a small amount of prep work left to do, but so far the wet sanding has went really well and I think it's looking great. Once the sanding is complete I want to go over it with a buffer and some polish. I used some Mother's and a micro fiber clothe on one tube and was very surprised how good it looks, but I think I can do a little better. I'm not going for a concourse restoration, I just want it to look complete and cared for...but ridden.
Likes For velomateo:
Old 02-18-22, 11:18 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Original paint looks in fine condition, and there aren't any of the normal chips associated with crashes or inept former owners (front brake hits on downtube, scrapes from leaning the top tube against things, etc...). As for decals, IMHO Rossins look better with less rather than more; a pair of down tube decals and a head tube decal would do it

DD
Old 02-19-22, 09:49 AM
velomateo

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Original paint looks in fine condition, and there aren't any of the normal chips associated with crashes or inept former owners (front brake hits on downtube, scrapes from leaning the top tube against things, etc...). As for decals, IMHO Rossins look better with less rather than more; a pair of down tube decals and a head tube decal would do it

DD
The only ugly stuff is hidden under the top tube. The bike came with a pump peg clamped to the top tube that caused a small corrosion spot, also wear marks from the pump rattling around. I think I'm going to just leave them. I live in a dry climate and I don't expect them to increase much.
Old 02-25-22, 02:10 PM
velomateo

Since my last post I’ve done some cleaning on the paint of the Rossin. I wet sanded the areas where the huge decal kit once was, starting with 1500 grit wet followed by 3000 grit. I was successful in leveling off the paint where there was a light clear coat, and it left a smooth clean finish with very little evidence of the original decals.
Today I used a headlight restoration kit from Harbor Freight with some Mother’s polish to bring back the shine of the paint. I’m not sure you’ll be able to get an accurate view in my pics, and I apologize for not taking up close “before” pics, but I’m quite pleased with the results.
I have new decals on the way, so hopefully can post up pics sporting those in the next few weeks.

Last edited by velomateo; 02-25-22 at 09:19 PM.
Likes For velomateo:
Old 02-28-22, 02:50 PM
shmithys

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Bro, nice base to restore it!
Old 03-25-22, 01:44 PM
velomateo

Rossin project continues on at a comfortable pace. After prepping the frame for new decals, there was a significant wait for the new decals to arrive. It appears the customs departments of Australia or the US have no interest in seeing this build completed quickly, as it took a month for the package to arrive.
I applied the majority of the massive kit today, but still have some left to put on. I did install the top tube decal that came with the kit. There’s lots of internet images that show the top tube decal on this model frame, but this frame didn’t have it when I bought it - nor did it have any ghost images that would have indicated it was ever there. I kind of like how over the top the Rossin decals are, so it fits. You won’t forget what brand of frame you’re riding, that’s for sure.

Another mini project was replacing the brake pad nuts. For some reason the Campagnolo brake hardware doesn’t stand up to weather very well, it always look pretty battered. I purchased a set of stainless replacements at the local hardware store, but the nut profile was a bit too tall. Fortunately I have access to a machine shop at work. I had a coworker machine them to the correct thickness and he was also able to replicate the chamfered shoulder too. They do not look exactly like the original nuts, but look much cleaner. I’ll hang on to the OG’s and the next time I have some chrome work done, I will get them replated.

I post up some more pics after I get the fork finished up and install the headset
Likes For velomateo:
Old 03-25-22, 03:39 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
The paint and those decals look great! Nice work.

That Campagnolo hardware looks good as well.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 03-26-22, 09:19 AM
velomateo

Thanks, I'm glad I was able to clear away all the old decal edges and even out the color. I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Old 03-26-22, 10:04 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Thanks, I'm glad I was able to clear away all the old decal edges and even out the color. I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Ordinarily, Rossin decals can be a bit too extensive, but in this single color white on red, it looks perfectly Rossiny. Beautiful.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-26-22, 01:18 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Here’s the bare frame after removing what was left of the original decals. Also, I found the serial number stamp on the left dropout. Always just expect the serial number to be on the bottom bracket, so I never checked back there.

I bought some 1500 and 3000 grit sand paper. I
can feel a very thin clear coat outlining the former decals. So I’ll try to level off the paint and buff it out, before installing new decals. Paint under the decals looks very glossy and smooth.

This is where the patience thing will come in to play. I expect this paint to be on thin side, so I don’t want to be too aggressive and blow through it. Baby steps.

Since the decals were under the clearcoat, how did you remove them? I've used a hairdryer in recent past, but there was no clearcoat to deal with.
Old 03-26-22, 05:44 PM
velomateo

Originally Posted by Roger M
Since the decals were under the clearcoat, how did you remove them? I've used a hairdryer in recent past, but there was no clearcoat to deal with.
Most of the decals had been removed when I got the bike. The clear coat was so ridiculously thin, that removing them was fairly simple. I did use a hairdryer to make them more pliable, once warmed up they came off in just a few minutes.
Old 04-01-22, 04:54 PM
velomateo

Busy day today, lots of progress on the Rossin project.
Finished up decal application. Did the fork and rear triangle. I wasn’t sure I was going to use the seatstay stripes or not, but they’re easily removed if I decide I don’t care for them. Also touched up some of the pantographs on the fork crown and stem. Again, I’m not going for the full concourse restoration here - just a tidy rider. There will be chips and scratches.
With all that completed I was able to start some assembly, and it’s nice to see it coming together. I haven’t ordered cable housing yet, because I wasn’t sure on the color. I am usually somewhat partial to the stock Campy grey, but I can’t really see anything but white for this build, so I’ll get that on it’s way…going to have to be white bar tape as well.

Ok, here’s a few pics, plus one of the reworked brake pad nuts now installed.

Last edited by velomateo; 04-07-22 at 06:12 AM.
Likes For velomateo:
Old 04-10-22, 07:55 AM
velomateo

Wrapped up the build on the Rossin yesterday. I’m really pleased with how it turned out and I’m going to give it a shakedown ride today. I did manage to use a lot of the parts from the Donor-dale, and that was cool to literally rescue a bike from a trash heap and keep it rolling.
You may notice I have a Super Record rear derailleur mounted and not the NR I pictured earlier. I used it because I already had it and it completed the group. Also the wheels from the Donor-dale, with the Hi-Lo hub need new rims. The brake tracks are destroyed with grooves the size of the Marianas Trench, so once I’m able to source some fresh(er) rims I’ll swap them out. These wheels came off of the sweet little Ciocc I scored for the wife, that she has never used…so I think it’s cool for now.
Here’s a couple pics, I’ll get some better ones soon.

Last edited by velomateo; 04-10-22 at 01:28 PM.
Likes For velomateo: