Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ciocc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 10:18 AM
road195 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Ciocc?

Good day all! I wanted to ask if the seat tube angles, on Ciocc bikes is what the current owners are saying under the three vintage frames they sell. After Ciocc has changed hands several times I can not fine any frame geometry information any where. I can state after years of riding 73 degree seat tubes, the vintage Gitane, has a 72 and it is a better ride. I am blessed with the 36 and 1/4 inseam at 6ft. 1 inch. Since i have Ciocc vintage fever it appears there larger frames where less than 73 degrees? SO HAS the geometry changed each time a new crew built there frames? I am interested in 59, 61 etc. And yes I will look into the laser, machine and angle bar etc. I am asking here first. Thanks
Old 06-22-21, 10:46 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
With Ciocc, I've seen angles change from year to year and between models. Of course, the angle would also vary between frames size and I wouldn't be surprised if it varied from market to market depending on distributor/local market preferences.
Old 06-22-21, 03:04 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 371 Posts
My matrix says my '82 Mocba '80 in 60 ct has a 74 degree seat tube and 75 head.

Last edited by Chuckk; 06-22-21 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 03:11 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
From my limited experience, Ciocc had steeper angles than anyone else - so while they may have changed from year to year, they were never shallow. And I would consider 73° to be a lax angle for either ST or HT.

Mine was a fun criterium bike, it demanded attention to steering though.

Old 06-22-21, 03:53 PM
road195 

Thanks, so that sounds correct. The posted frame sizes with current owners has no real history compared with the past three plus owners building the frames. I will make a frame work out, thinking about a size 61.
Old 06-22-21, 04:21 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
From my limited experience, Ciocc had steeper angles than anyone else - so while they may have changed from year to year, they were never shallow. And I would consider 73° to be a lax angle for either ST or HT.

Mine was a fun criterium bike, it demanded attention to steering though.

DiabloScott was that a Mockba 80? if so, I had the twin of that bike. I bought the frame from a supplier on clearance, and I built it with a mix of NR and SR components back in about 1982 (3?). Same color, and even yellow bar tape. One thing I liked about it was the 100% painted frame, since I wasn't a big fan of chrome forks BITD. I remember trying to sell it (futilely) when money got tight (pregnant wife on bed rest)... hung on the wall of the bike shop I worked at for months, at $750, no takers. brought it to Madison when I got my first job, and it got stolen from my apartment ... locked basement, in a locked storage cage. I keep looking for the pictures I took of that bike, but I cant seem to locate them.

Last edited by mgopack42; 06-22-21 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 08:24 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
DiabloScott was that a Mockba 80?
It was a San Cristobal with Triomphe... 1984. And custom sewup wheels on Super Record hubs! I still have her downtube in my garage.

It was also the coolest bike of RAGBRAI 1988. IMHO. Even with clinchers.
Old 12-14-21, 01:22 PM
xoruss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=DiabloScott;22113549]It was a San Cristobal with Triomphe... 1984. And custom sewup wheels on Super Record hubs! I still have her downtube in my garage.

It was also the coolest bike of RAGBRAI 1988. IMHO. Even with clinchers.[/QUO

The RAGBRAI is on my bucket list. So was finding a CIOCC Freewind Plus. I found one with the old Columbus AluTec tubing. The bends and shape of the aluminum is gorgeous to me. I think it is 2000-2001 and sold through Cycles Norbert in Yzeure, France. There had to be a factory connection because their signage decals on the seat stay match the other factory decals. I have no idea how it ended up in the U.S.
It has a 1" head tube. That is all that is original. The previous owner built the frame with a new Campagnolo Record 10 speed gruppo , carbon seat post, 3t stem and bars that will be exchanged for a TI-Grammo stem and Cinelli bars. Mavic Cosmo wheels with the bladed carbon spokes. I put an SMP saddle because I like them. Why the Titanium stem? I'm almost 74 and have wanted one since they cam out.
Russ the new guy
Old 12-14-21, 02:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Records just located in the well-lit offices of my bike cave establishment indicate that my mid-1990's, MiniMax-tubed and fillet-and-lugged Ciocc bicycle measured 60cm C-T, had 73HT and 73.5ST angles with a 57.3cm TT.

I (at 5'9" and long-legged) found the bike way too large, so never found a stem length that gave good out-of-saddle tracking for lack of better wording.
I sold it on last year.
Likes For dddd:
Old 12-14-21, 07:04 PM
road195 

Nice, ride thanks for sharing. Looking back on what I was trying to get out of my original post, is on the current Ciocc website if you look up under the vintage models and find the geometry chart. You will see the claim made that the geometry is the original as when first made?? Since we all know that Ciocc had at least three different sets of builders/owners, through the years seems a forest to think that they followed the same geometry as listed now? Best road195
Old 12-14-21, 07:18 PM
xoruss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, if I could only find a CIOCC jersey in xl or xxl.
Russ
Missouri City, Missouri
Old 12-15-21, 10:55 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by road195
Nice, ride thanks for sharing. Looking back on what I was trying to get out of my original post, is on the current Ciocc website if you look up under the vintage models and find the geometry chart. You will see the claim made that the geometry is the original as when first made?? Since we all know that Ciocc had at least three different sets of builders/owners, through the years seems a forest to think that they followed the same geometry as listed now? Best road195

Not just the different builders, but over time there were different geometries that made for lots of bike sales.

Thinking of the Merckx MX Leader with it's geometry so similar to my 90's Ciocc.
Merckx was selling a lot of them, and they were no doubt copied by others who wanted a frame for classics or stage-race geometry in their lineup.

Wouldn't s brand like Ciocc similarly offer a couple of different geometries concurrently?
Old 12-15-21, 05:25 PM
road195 

Yes, it’s with the vintage Italian mystic vibe. Personal note: now that the frame size range is behind me I can focus on what really works best for me. Ciocc is a story within a story, like the builders in Italy in the 70s/ 80s.