Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-16, 03:36 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Cygolite taillight to GoPro Adapter

I am pretty sure this one is the Cygolite and the larger of the two mounts is the Planet Bike Superflash. Took some time to work on this one this afternoon. It should work on most Cygolite blinkies (Hotshot Pro 80 USB, Hotshot 50 USB, Hotshot SL 30 USB)

Works exactly the same as Cygolite's original mounts except this allows you to mount on a GoPro mount, It should provide a few more mounting options. No additional hardware is required. I still have to clean up a few edges and verify all the dimensions are correct.

This will not fit the Micro or Hotrod models.
Attached Images

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 02-26-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-27-16, 07:26 AM
WheresWaldo

Planet Bike to GoPro Adapter

Finished up the Superflash (Planet Bike) GoPro mount adapter this morning. It was too cold to ride. Planet Bike is more standardized than some of the other light manufacturers as this very same bracket is used for every Superflash and the Blinky 3/5/7 taillights. Makes much more sense to me rather than having different mounts for each and every model.

Planet Bike / GoPro Adapter Mount

Will probably take some time this week to make these two mounts available as Fizik ICS and Topeak QuickClip versions.
Attached Images
Old 03-08-16, 07:39 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Bound to happen, but one of my light mounts designs has been copied by a company who is now selling them.

Not an exact copy, but close enough that (combined with the timing) it is pretty clear that they've seen my design and have worked from there.

Oh well! Lots of happy light owners out there...
Old 03-09-16, 07:36 AM
WheresWaldo

Sorry to hear this, but especially true if you have something other people find real useful. That was one of the reasons I chose not to publish all my designs on Thingiverse and YouMagine. Not that this would stop someone with a few CAD skills, but it does make it a bit more difficult. The early prototypes that might need a bit of tweaking I have no issues with. Other parts that are more expensive to make for the value they actually provide are also up there. Proprietary designs and ones I have had to reverse engineer will never be up on these repositories. I get requests and sometimes even hateful messages every week about someone wanting the designs for free. I have learned to ignore the hateful ones and politely decline the other requests then move on.

Originally Posted by JonnyHK
Bound to happen, but one of my light mounts designs has been copied by a company who is now selling them.

Not an exact copy, but close enough that (combined with the timing) it is pretty clear that they've seen my design and have worked from there.

Oh well! Lots of happy light owners out there...

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 03-09-16 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 07:44 AM
WheresWaldo

Fizik ICS to Cygolite Hotshot and Planet Bike Superflash/Blinky Inserts

Been working on two more Fizik ICS inserts. The Cygolite Hotshot and Planet Bike tail lights can now be mounted on the Fizik saddles with ICS just like the Cateye and Fizik tail lights can. Mount the clip on your light the insert it into the ICS slot.

Fizik ICS / Cygolite Hotshot Mount

Fizik ICS / Planet Bike Superflash Adapter

Planet Bike uses the exact same mount for both the Superflash series as well as the Blinky series of tail lights. As a result this works on either. This does mount both tail lights about 1 to 2 mm higher than the comparable Cateye or Fizik, there is still plenty of room and it should not hit the bottom of the saddle regardless of Fizik model. I do like how study the clip is and I wished Fizik would have made the design public (ala Cannondale and the BB30) then we could get away from the weaker Topeak/ProLogo clip. If only I could find a Fizik saddle I would actually ride.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 03-09-16 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-15-16, 11:50 AM
WheresWaldo

Custom Garmin Edge Mount

I am sure @JonnyHK will appreciate this.

The following is a result of a dozen emails back and forth as well as outlined dimensions for a custom Garmin mount to fit a very specific setup. Here were the design criteria: Stem faceplate was 44 mm. Handlebars only had 60 mm total space in the center round section. Must fit a Garmin 500/520 just like the Barfly in length. Top of computer could not be above the top surface of the bars. Had to be printable. Took about 10 hours of actual CAD work and rendering and four iterations to get everything correct. The make sure it was printable got me a couple of times.

Overall dimensions are 111 x 60 x 38 mm, the Edge socket is usable in portrait or landscape modes, the socket is 75 mm center-to-center from the handlebars, the clamps are 45 mm inside-to-inside, mount is approximately 25 mm below the top of the handlebars. It uses two M3 x 16 mm bolts with matching nylon insert lock nuts to secure.
Attached Images
Old 03-21-16, 01:09 PM
WheresWaldo

Anyone seen or own a Specialized saddle with SWAT?

I got an interesting request, does anyone here use a Specialized saddle with the SWAT feature? I stopped riding Specialized after I broke three Toupe shells each after just a single year of riding. I never owned one with the SWAT inserts. I also can't find anything other than a couple of bags that use this mounting system. My big questions are what size bolts does it use? What is the center to center dimension of those bolts? What is the profile of the flat area around the bolts? And, is the SWAT mounting plane parallel to the ground when a Specialized saddle is mounted in a typical ride orientation?
Old 03-21-16, 09:25 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
WheresWaldo made mounts that I needed and am I ever thrilled. I plan a long blog post, but here's part of the result: I can now mount my SuperFlash (or Cigolite Hotshot, I got that one too) and my Fly6 on my commuter bike rear rack. Killer. Plus, it makes the Fly6 so much more useful. Their mounting solution is not flexible at all. Having the Fly6 on a goPro mount is great.

Rear view 3D printed mounts
by curtis corlew, on Flickr

Side view 3D printed mounts_0029
by curtis corlew, on Flickr
Old 03-27-16, 04:03 PM
WheresWaldo

I usually don't do a lot of Edge mounts but here is one of my more recent custom requests:

This is what the blue render a few posts up became. I know it's the lighting but it also looks like the color matches, not that we have any control over that.
Old 03-30-16, 11:48 PM
WheresWaldo

Some new stuff per custom requests

Here was another custom request from last week. Picture a K-Edge Garmin XL Combo Mount with 4 devices attached to it. Garmin Edge on top and two lights and a Di2 Junction 'A' box on the bottom. This is what you end up with:

Then how about a Garmin Varia Taillight mounted on a strap that usually sits on the rear of saddle bags, and you get this:

How about someone who wants to mount two Varia Taillights on the back of a Fizik saddle:

It is amazing what people will think of to add to their cycling experience/enjoyment. I could never have come up with all these ideas. Especially since I am content with Action cams and my Garmin Edge. I didn't even know you could pair two Varia's and use them as left/right indicators (or at least that's what I was told).

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 03-30-16 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added more context
Old 04-05-16, 09:34 AM
WheresWaldo

A couple of new things this week (per request).

Two mounts for a Garmin Varia taillight to attach to the back of most bicycle racks. As long as the rack has the two mounting holes spaced 50 mm apart center-to-center this will work.

Style 1 centers the Garmin Varia inline with the rack mounting holes.

Garmin Varia Rack Mount - Style 1

Style 2 places the center of the Garmin Varia 17 mm below the rack mounting holes.

Garmin Varia Rack Mount - Style 2

Where did everyone go? I know it is the start of the riding season, but still, there has to be more people doing this kind of stuff. I know @JonnyHK is on business travel, but what about @ItsJustMe and some of the others? I can't be the only one.
Old 04-05-16, 10:53 AM
JonnyHK 

Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Where did everyone go? I know it is the start of the riding season, but still, there has to be more people doing this kind of stuff. I know @JonnyHK is on business travel, but what about @ItsJustMe and some of the others? I can't be the only one.
Nice mounts!

I'm not just on business travel - I've actually moved continents! All my gear, including my 3d printer, is now in a shipping container and will take some weeks to get here. Then I've got to set it up...
Old 04-12-16, 12:26 PM
WheresWaldo

I just got a reminder from Shapeways that if you use the following code you can get $10.00 off your first order. The code is jtdg3. To use it you need to follow these directions.

This is how it works:
  1. Invite your friends to follow you on Shapeways.
  2. Which your friends do, because how can they resist seeing all the cool stuff you're doing and sharing?
  3. And, bonus!, they can use promo code: jtdg3 that saves them $10 on their first order placed by 4/15.
  4. You get treated like a hero for introducing them to Shapeways.

I am sure @JonnyHK might have gotten this same email, so maybe he should post his code also. His shop is https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wombats_widget_workshop

There are a growing community of people doing biking accessories on Shapeways, there is a 12 y.o. MTB racer who has designed some saddles and a bunch of others that have Garmin mounts and GoPro mounts. Just check them out.

Here is a guy that has some really neat inserts that mount in the brake bridge hole of a fixed gear; https://www.shapeways.com/shops/fixhole
How about some fancy presta valve caps; https://www.shapeways.com/shops/path...ike+Valves&s=0
Bicycle jewelry; https://www.shapeways.com/shops/velo-fab

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-12-16 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 11:58 AM
WheresWaldo

Compact Fly6 GoPro Adapter Mount

At the request of a few people on WeightWeenies, I have modeled a compact version of the Cyclic Fly6 mount.

Cyclic Fly6 Compact GoPro Mount Adapter

I also incorporated a few other improvements, the Fly6 should slide in easier and it will also be easier to remove. Just a reminder to everyone that wants to buy BLACK parts from Shapeways, BLACK is not polished, so it has a slightly fuzzier feel and is a few microns bigger. The polishing process makes it more satin like and removes a minute amount of material in the process.

As always, if anyone has a specific request please feel free to ask and either myself or @JonnyHK or even someone new will see if it is possible.
Attached Images
Old 04-28-16, 01:27 AM
mathiaspap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin Varia on Specialized Saddle

Hi,

I would like to mount my Garmin Varia rear light onto my S-Works Power Saddle.

On the back and underneath the saddle there are two SWAT mounting screws. Could we use those screws to create a mount for the Garmin Varia?

Thanks so much,

Matthew
Old 04-28-16, 12:50 PM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by mathiaspap
Hi,

I would like to mount my Garmin Varia rear light onto my S-Works Power Saddle.

On the back and underneath the saddle there are two SWAT mounting screws. Could we use those screws to create a mount for the Garmin Varia?

Thanks so much,

Matthew
Matt, I sent you a message on Shapeways responding to this. I don't have a Specialized saddle with SWAT, maybe someone else here does. I will try to find one if I can.
Old 04-28-16, 12:57 PM
mathiaspap

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, many thanks

I could provide you with any measurements you may need.
Old 05-01-16, 01:27 PM
WheresWaldo

Lightbulb New revision of Varia Saddlebag Clip, result of direct feedback.

Here is how a community works, I love this, had a couple of people who bought my Garmin Varia Saddlebag Clip and was not happy with it. I asked if we could email back and forth to see what could be done to improve the hold of the clip. One suggestion was to include a larger more pronounced hook end under the bottom of the clip. the other asked for a slot and provided a drawing that I have added here;

It was a great idea to make the clip even more secure. Now you can use a Zip Tie to further fasten the clip to the back strap of a saddle bag. Also, if you need/want to tether the Varia to the clip, there is a small hole for that too.
Garmin Varia Saddle Bag Clip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture4.jpg (50.5 KB, 479 views)
Old 05-13-16, 07:03 AM
WheresWaldo

Just ordered a STIX LED holder for the Specialized SWAT saddle mount. It should be here next week sometime. After that I will be working on Garmin Varia/Edge, GoPro and even Fly6 mounts that directly mount to select Specialized saddles that have the SWAT feature. I will probably try to fit Planet Bike and HotShot taillights too. Stay tuned.

I hate the way Specialized does their online stuff. I don't mind going to the shop, although it is quite a ways from my home, all in traffic. I don't like that I can't order online for shop pickup. That means two round trips to the shop for a $5.00 part.
Old 05-19-16, 11:04 AM
WheresWaldo

I will pick up the Specialized SWAT mount this weekend, and should have the first adapters by next week. If there is anything you guys/gals want to see first now is the time to speak up.

I am completely redesigning the Fizik ICS mount. The current design is overly complicated and flimsy, this new design should be more robust and I hope it may end up being cheaper to print also. Just let me know if you want to test the new design.

Where did @JonnyHK go? His move should be complete by now and I haven't seen any new activity in his Shapeways shop.
Old 05-19-16, 11:40 PM
JonnyHK 

Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
I will pick up the Specialized SWAT mount this weekend, and should have the first adapters by next week. If there is anything you guys/gals want to see first now is the time to speak up.

I am completely redesigning the Fizik ICS mount. The current design is overly complicated and flimsy, this new design should be more robust and I hope it may end up being cheaper to print also. Just let me know if you want to test the new design.

Where did @JonnyHK go? His move should be complete by now and I haven't seen any new activity in his Shapeways shop.

Still alive!

Very busy with new job and my move is anything but complete. Our shipment was held up, so none of our stuff has arrived yet. It will be over a month late. I don't suppose you need me to tell you how unhappy my wife is!

- Have been sketching some non-cycling ideas (rowing)
- Working with a guy who used to do a lot of injection moulding tool design
- Did a couple very small updates to products

Will be interested to see your Fizik mount. It is an odd beast to model and have work reliably.
Old 05-20-16, 04:41 AM
WheresWaldo

@JonnyHK I sent you an email to the sub-section.
Old 05-22-16, 02:25 PM
WheresWaldo

Specialized SWAT Adapters and redesigned Fizik ICS Clips

Been working on SWAT this weekend and here is the first item I have completed.

Uses 2 M5 x 10 mm pan head bolts to hold it on to the saddle. Even though I don't ride Specialized saddles anymore, I really think they got this one right. Much more secure than anything that snaps into the saddle. Also not nearly as dependent on manufacturing tolerances. This is what Fizik ICS and Toprak Quick-Clip should have been.

I also have finalized a redesign of the Fizik ICS clip and the first model finished is this GoPro mount using the new clip design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 06-01-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 08:33 AM
WheresWaldo

Matt,

I completed work on a Specialized SWAT / Varia Adapter, it isn't for sale yet I am waiting on some feedback on the SWAT section of the mount. Hopefully soon.

This will also work for track riders that use Specialized saddles and want to mount a Garmin Edge device on their bikes (where handlebar mounting is prohibited).

Originally Posted by mathiaspap
Hey, many thanks

I could provide you with any measurements you may need.
Old 05-26-16, 09:30 AM
mathiaspap

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perfect, please keep me posted.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.