Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Exploration is Fun

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-23, 10:54 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Exploration is Fun

This thread won’t be a surprise to most who own a gravel / all-road bike.

I split my time between road and gravel. I’ve lived in the same general area since I started cycling. When I started on the road, I remember finding side roads that were completely new to me (hadn’t driven on them in a car). Within a couple years I had ridden every paved road within 100k from home. That first couple years was fun. That was 18-20 years ago. Since owning a gravel bike (8 years or so) I’ve been able to explore way more. With the gravel bikes I had owned, I spent over 5 years finding new gravel roads and trails. That period was mainly on road style gravel bikes with avg 40mm tires. Since picking up a Salsa Fargo recently I’ve found new trails every ride! With 2.2” tires and more mtb geometry I’ve been more confident to go down virtually anything that looks ridable. I think the ability to explore by bike has to be top 2-3 reasons to ride, for me.

I can go into some examples later, with photos, but for now I’m looking forward to reading about your exploration by bike (any bike!).
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 05-10-23, 08:37 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
The funniest thing about exploring the gravel roads in the hills is when after a day of being passed (respectfully) by all manner of lifted Jeeps, 4x4 Baja and beater toy/hobby trucks alike, there is always some guy in a Prius just motoring along, doin' his thing out to whatever lake side cottage is up there.

Good on ya' for getting out there.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2: