Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 01:22 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
don't know if i added this one to the vat...but this is a sweet Raleigh Marathon I picked up while visiting family in FL. Someone put "touring" bars on it, but it kinda works nicely that way. This one fit into the 'too many' category unfortunately, so it's for sale...but anyway, it's not in the dump either!

Old 08-02-09, 02:28 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Picked this up from a pawn shop Friday night. You don't see later model Puchs very much. This one is
Suntour XCM, and tange MTB tubing. CrMo fork too. A little heavy, but looks like you could run over it and it
would still be ridable. I LOVE lugged mountain bikes!!.,,,,BD

Old 08-02-09, 05:03 PM
brianparker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOS parts in NYC?

I'm looking for a shop in NYC that sells simple NOS parts, like brake cables/housing...so far though, it looks like the internet has been my main source for parts while hooking up my Gazelle Champion Mondial. Just got a Victory brakeset, but I still need those few components...any shops/sellers you know of?

Old 08-02-09, 05:49 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOBSONATOR
Takin this one to SB tomorrow with me on the amtrak.

dude just had an ad that said "univega bicycle"

i emailed him, he responded with pics, went over, offered him 40 and was sold Its a 90's Alpina Uno (Lawlee) w/full exage system that works flawlessly, just gave it a quick wipe down and air and i was good to go! It came with new tires + was recently tuned up

Is that black chrome!? couple closer pics of the frame would be cool.
Old 08-02-09, 05:55 PM
dmcjedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycleheimer, thanks for the valuable insight re: Bridgestone Kabuki. Great info. Good call on the tires - I'll look into that and too bad about the suicide seat - I sort of figured it would need to go to the wayside. Regards, DMC
Old 08-02-09, 07:24 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got this early 90's KHS Tandemania Sport for a 6-pack of Guinness!

I started cleaning it up and getting an idea of what I have. Looks to me mostly lower end, probably not meant for any continuous serious riding. The cranks look cheesey, but it should be good enough to get going. It does have 7/8 speed Deore friction/sis thumb shifters though. I put the stoker bar on only because I have had it kicking around forever. I hope it works, but the captain may have some thigh strike with it I guess. Seats as pictured were from my stash. Rear spacing is 135mm, and the stem on the front has wayyyyy too much reach for me. I need to find a shorter one. The stocker stem has adjustable reach which is a nice feature at this pricepoint.

My little sis seems into trying this out, so we'll see. I put the appropriate SPD pedals on the rear for her and mine on the front. Here's to hoping it works out

Old 08-02-09, 07:24 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ******bagonwhlz
Is that black chrome!? couple closer pics of the frame would be cool.
I actually have two of these..........well had (sold one today).........nice looking bike though
Old 08-02-09, 07:43 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is the cleaned up curb find Grand Prix I posted a few pages back. Due to the the Simplex Prestige being beyond repair with what I have at the moment I decided to single speed it. I used rims off the Puch swapped out the spacer to center the hub to get the chainline right and redished the wheel. Rides very nice on the flat with the 40-18 gears but some of these hills I deal with it still could use a little more low end. LOL.

If I keep it I'll throw a decent Suntour 7 Derailleur I picked up at the Co Op on it eventually.

Last edited by Grim; 08-02-09 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 09:15 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
don't know if i added this one to the vat...but this is a sweet Raleigh Marathon I picked up while visiting family in FL. Someone put "touring" bars on it, but it kinda works nicely that way. This one fit into the 'too many' category unfortunately, so it's for sale...but anyway, it's not in the dump either!

If you wouldn't mind sending me some higher resolution pics (800 x 600 or greater), I wouldn't mind posting your new Raleigh mixte on my new blog: The Mixte Gallery (see link in my sig file below).

Thanks....

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-03-09, 08:33 AM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmcjedi
Cycleheimer, thanks for the valuable insight re: Bridgestone Kabuki. Great info. Good call on the tires - I'll look into that and too bad about the suicide seat - I sort of figured it would need to go to the wayside. Regards, DMC
Why is that seat getting no love? I think it's a cool idea. The kid is right between your arms, feet are away from the spokes, and they have a comfy seat. Also keeps the weight of the kid near the center of the bike for better balance.
Old 08-03-09, 09:59 AM
searjeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got this rather nice 60s gillot racing bike which I think was made by Ron Cooper but will have to check, for free the other day, my its nice!!

It is SO original, the original owner used it daily for a while then stopped riding it and it sat in a shed for many years until I got it! it is very original, original paint and decals (in poor condition, sadly) but original wheels and what I think are the original amber wall dunlop sprite tyres! theyre really perished but it still rides well AND they still had air in them after these 20 years of sitting in a shed
unfortunately they took the drop bars off and put a straight downhill bar on but im going to rectify that in a couple of days with another drop bar from the same era. all it took was a set of new brake pads for peace of mind and it rides beautifully, the seat looks stunning and is relatively comfortable but squeaks as you ride but other than that, its light, smooth and fast

what do you think? (sorry for the shocking pictures, i used my little digital camera for these, ill take some nicer ones on my film slr sometime, but i guess theyre almost good enough for you to get an idea of what its like)

Attachment 113135

Attachment 113137

Attachment 113138

Attachment 113139

Attachment 113140
Old 08-03-09, 11:22 AM
K8drums
learning...

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 (Gertie), Outfitters 2600 XC hybrid, Fixed gear on a Trek frame (June Carter Cash) and whatever I'm building at the time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently acquired a Schwinn Varsity for free
It needs a lot of work but that's what I like doing!
Old 08-03-09, 03:10 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
Love those great big long "S" stem shift levers! I'm contemplating putting a set on my 85 Peugeot Canyon Express mountain to touring conversion......
Old 08-03-09, 03:36 PM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
$20 =

Suntour, Dia-comp, and a Shimano Acera derailer. Need to find a way to open the seat tube to install my post...

It's a Nishiki "International" apparently from the tiny sticker on the top tube. Really small, smaller than I should use, but I need something for commuting since I killed my Surly LHT.
Old 08-03-09, 03:43 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Why is that seat getting no love? I think it's a cool idea. The kid is right between your arms, feet are away from the spokes, and they have a comfy seat. Also keeps the weight of the kid near the center of the bike for better balance.
Too much could go wrong. There is nothing substantial to hold onto, balance issues, and numerous other problems.
Old 08-03-09, 05:21 PM
infinityeye
Nut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oscuro
$20 =

Suntour, Dia-comp, and a Shimano Acera derailer. Need to find a way to open the seat tube to install my post...

It's a Nishiki "International" apparently from the tiny sticker on the top tube. Really small, smaller than I should use, but I need something for commuting since I killed my Surly LHT.
At least the seat post isn't stuck!!
Old 08-03-09, 05:25 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Too much could go wrong. There is nothing substantial to hold onto, balance issues, and numerous other problems.
Have you ever rode a kid on a seat on the rear?

It sucks, it creates a balance issue. They are absolutely awful to get the kid into while trying to balance the bike.

Personally as a father that has rode both my kids I don't see and issue with that front seat and I wish I had found one once my kids were 2-3 years of age. If anything the balance issues of the kid in that postion would be MUCH less then having 30 lb sitting high and behind the rear axle. Rear seats just makes the whole bike wobble. The fact that you can straddle the bike then lift the child into position makes loading MUCH safer. With the US style seats you have to load the kid while the bike is standing on a kick stand and US bikes do not have center stands that hold the bike vertical. It is a dangerous procedure that really takes two adults to safely manage or you have to straddle the bike facing backwards then do some gymnastics maneuvers to get facing the correct way to ride and not drop the bike and kid in the process. Then on a mans bike there is the whole getting on the bike problem since you cannot swing your leg over the back of the seat.

Once in riding position the kid will be holding the handle bars. They will between your arms to keep them in postion if they do have a balance issue at some point. You can actually talk with them easily in that postion since your head is right over theirs.

Sorry but I do not agree with your assumptions that the child riding in that position is more dangerous then in the rear US style seats.

That seat set up is VERY common in Europe and I suspect that when that bike got that seat it was while the owner was either stationed in Europe with the military or it was a European that moved here.
Old 08-03-09, 06:40 PM
K8drums
learning...

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 (Gertie), Outfitters 2600 XC hybrid, Fixed gear on a Trek frame (June Carter Cash) and whatever I'm building at the time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when I was in Eugene earlier this summer, I saw a kid age 7-9 yrs old riding on the back of an x-tra cycle (is that what they are called? - like a stretched bike with a really long back rack.) The kid was old enough to know to hold on and it looked like a pleasant experience for both mother and son.
Old 08-03-09, 06:46 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
"Sorry but I do not agree with your assumptions that the child riding in that position is more dangerous then in the rear US style seats."

- My apologies. It is a personal matter, and some riders are more adept at riding this way than others I am sure. I am a dad and I am just not a fan of any child seat on a bicycle, or even young children riding on the back of motorcycles. That comes from having seen people have pretty bad accidents, including myself, while riding. Again, my apologies if I said something in the wrong way. I am sure it is not a problem if done properly, and the ride is at a modest pace in an area with good road surfaces and minimal to no auto traffic.
Old 08-03-09, 07:14 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I picked up this Mercian off of Philly CL today for $100. My size

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-03-09, 07:14 PM
digitalbicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got some photos of the 1986 Cimarron frameset I picked up the other day. Just sold it to a very nice chap in Arizona.

Anybody ever seen a Deore XT Shark Fin before?

Old 08-03-09, 07:23 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deore Shark fin, ha a miele I picked up a few weeks ago had one
Old 08-03-09, 07:46 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
I got this Shogun the other day for the right price. Took her home, measured her up and sure enough: 54cm! In the last month I have been fortuneate enough to THREE bike given to me in the past month. Just MY luck that I don't fit ANY of them!!!!! All are rough, the Peugeot that I have been working on is by FAR the best shape of them all. So, without further adieu: THE SHOGUN:

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 08-03-09, 08:14 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That has gotta be the most rusted out rear derailleur Ive ever seen in my life! Simply remarkable!
Old 08-03-09, 08:14 PM
Jaraldo

Bikes: Ross Professional Gran Tour II, Unidentified Panasonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
Schwinn World Sport

I added the Cyclone RD as I have a box full of them now and the old AR was trashed. New cables, bar tape, chain, switched to aero levers and voila!

Beautiful.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.