Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How does the P7 compare to the Cree MC-E?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 03:14 PM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just ordered a P7 based on the many recommendations here.

But it seems that the Cree might be a little better? I saw this comparison thread for example. And this one (more technical). Seems to indicate that the P7 puts out more light, but the Cree has a better pattern? One poster in the thread above, however, indicates that the P7 is better for use in flashlights and that the Cree is more for fixed lighting. I definitely don't understand the reasons why, though.

Anyone else done this comparison? And please let me know if there's already a thread on this topic that I somehow missed.

Thanks.

EDIT: Some of the reviews for this DX Cree light (16501) indicate that it's better than the P7. Did I make a mistake in getting the P7 instead of the Cree???

Last edited by ROJA; 01-08-09 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 06:39 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Cree MC-E LED has 4 Independently addressable dies, the P7 does not. you can chose to use only 1 die or a combination of 1 to all 4 making it very easy to select light output levels. The dies can also be connected in series so the driving voltage becomes 14.8 volts, perfect for automotive headlight applications. Also the MC-E at full output produces ~600 Lumen meeting DOT and CE headlight requirements. Technically, it is illegal to use a P7 flashlight at full output (900 lumen's) on any bicycle or vehicle using a highway. This is one reason you do not see manufacturers using P7 LED's in bike lights used for highway use.
Old 01-09-09, 12:26 PM
MadCapsule

Bikes: Schwinn Ranger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The general consensus seems to be that the P7 doesn't actually put out anything near 900 lumens. Most are saying that it's around 600 or so as well, though I don't know what they have been measuring output with.

I don't own a P7 myself, so I speak only from what I've read here.
Old 01-09-09, 01:08 PM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
Also the MC-E at full output produces ~600 Lumen meeting DOT and CE headlight requirements.
Hi,

Please can you let me know where these DOT and CE requirements are ?

TIA.

EDIT:

Scott, I've been looking for evidence of this limit and I cannot find any, anywhere.

Also, DOT and CE requirements seem to always be separate as are cycle and motor vehicle requirements.....

Car HID headlights (that are afaik perfectly legal) all seem to have an output of more than 2,000 lumens and many have more than 4,000.

"6000K Pure White - Blueish 2nd Gen = 4,200 (lm)"

Also, doesn't the dinotte 800 claim an 800 lumen output (from whatever LED it uses) ?

Last edited by Unknown Cyclist; 01-09-09 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 09:29 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
In their current uses, there doesn't seem to be much effective difference between the two. The MC-E is mostly being used in a 4P setup where it is pretty much the same as the P7 performance wise. Initially I thought the MC-E was going to be a better thrower, but I've seen some MC-E modded lights compared to P7s and it doesn't seem too significant. The MC-E does have a bin (5A) thats got a really nice tint though, I haven't seen it used yet however.