Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stairs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 05:20 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
How do people that are out of shape handle that? I would have enough trouble, and I would hope with all the hill climbing I do I would at least be in as good of shape as the average German. And hauling your groceries up there every week too, along with your drinking water? I could probably handle it with great difficulty for a short period, maybe.

People here will circle a parking lot for 10 minutes, to find a spot that's a few feet closer to the door.
Old 05-06-20, 06:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Tip the bike onto the back wheel and keep one hand on the rear brakes
That's what I do for some bikes. Doesn't work so well if the bike has full mudguards, though.

on the way down you can roll it backwards ... assuming over the shoulder doesn't work for you.
That can also work.
Old 05-06-20, 09:17 PM
SpindriftEd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I grab the top tube where it meets the seat tube and lift the bike and it naturally tips forward when going down. Other hand is on the handrail.

Up is one hand on the bars, the other in the same spot as down. If the stair trim stands proud of the wall I rest the front wheel on it and push it up. If not I just carry it.
Old 05-07-20, 10:58 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Whatever you do be careful not to leave tire marks on the walls of the stairhall. Everyone will know who did it. If it does happen clean it up yourself before the janitor or landlord does.

Much of my life was spent living in 3rd floor apartments. Being a dedicated cyclist I always thought it had no effect on me. Now that we have a first floor with use of basement the bikes are used more than ever.
Old 05-07-20, 11:09 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
How do people that are out of shape handle that? I would have enough trouble, and I would hope with all the hill climbing I do I would at least be in as good of shape as the average German. And hauling your groceries up there every week too, along with your drinking water? I could probably handle it with great difficulty for a short period, maybe.

People here will circle a parking lot for 10 minutes, to find a spot that's a few feet closer to the door.
You get in shape really fast, even if overweight.
Old 05-07-20, 11:17 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
What about a solution to park the bike outside so you don't have to carry it up/down (except for occasionally)?

Would your building allow something like this outside?
Old 05-07-20, 11:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Use some variation of the cyclocross carry (pictured below). I started this method in my early teens. It has served me for nearly 50 years. You can do it, too.

That doesn't work at my house because the ceiling on the entrance stair case is oddly low. so I have to carry it lower on my body. Basically, figuring out where the center of gravity is and holding it with one hand there works pretty well.
Old 05-07-20, 11:32 AM
33yearslate

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
What about a solution to park the bike outside so you don't have to carry it up/down (except for occasionally)?

Would your building allow something like this outside?
How much does something like this cost? Looks really great.
Old 05-08-20, 05:14 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I live on the second floor of an apartment building with one elevator which is often out of service*.

When going down the stairs I hold the handlebar of the bike and squeeze the rear brake lever to stop the bike from gaining to much speed.

When going up the stairs, I'll sometimes get the two wheels on the side section that supports the stairs and push the bike up that whilst holding the front brake lever so I can stop and rest a bit if needed. That's my dropbar MTB with front and rear racks and panniers. My road bike is a lot lighter and I just carry it up or down the stairs. I'm 68 years young.

Cheers
Old 05-09-20, 03:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Hane
I'll be 62 in October. I really want to start riding but I live on the second floor of my apartment building. My dilemma is how to safely and easily take it up and down the stairs.
Roll it up.
Roll it down.
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-09-20, 05:15 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985

Things generally are not that hard when you do them all the time. Also, relating to drinking water, why does anyone need to purchase and transport drinking water? I can never understand why so many people will only consume water purchased in a bottle. Most tap water is fine to drink, and if you want or need to purify, one of the many available filter options available seems like a much better solution.
Old 05-09-20, 07:17 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Get a water distiller, bottled water is full of random chemicals from the plastic.
Old 05-09-20, 02:53 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Things generally are not that hard when you do them all the time. Also, relating to drinking water, why does anyone need to purchase and transport drinking water? I can never understand why so many people will only consume water purchased in a bottle. Most tap water is fine to drink, and if you want or need to purify, one of the many available filter options available seems like a much better solution.
It all depends on where you live. I drink my tap water where I live now, but for a short time, I lived in Odessa, TX. You could not drink the tap water there, without a serious softener and treatment system. The dishwasher in my girlfriend's apartment wasn't working. The maintenance worker said it was the way she was loading the dishes. I took it apart, and the sprayer arm was completely filled with calcium, completely. It was one big rock. Needless to say, that was the problem.

Grocery stores had water dispensers, and that is where most people got their water. The apartment complex also had a water dispenser. So yes, most tap water is good to drink, but there are exceptions.

As for stairs. I would not want to carry my bikes up my stairs, since they have a turn which makes it difficult to get my bike around without hitting the wall. Thankfully, I have a garage.
Old 05-11-20, 12:08 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I'll be 62 in October. I really want to start riding but I live on the second floor of my apartment building. My dilemma is how to safely and easily take it up and down the stairs.
It depends on your situation but if it's apropos maybe the following. Apartment buildings sometimes have a built in version from the roof.
Make a simple lift like they use to lift furniture into apartments. Basically a rope out the window with a triangular three pole that extends the roipe away from the outside wall, with a pulley on the end.

The triangular three legged pulley holder could be put out of a large window or patio.

Not great photos but:

https://www.pinterest.ru/smokefree13/pully-system/

I have seen a similar thing used at a university where you put a coin in a lock and this releases the front wheel holder which you attach to the bike wheels to pull the bike up the wall for locking it to the wall. Sort of like a lock box. You bring it back down by putting the key in the lock to release the wheel to be lowered down. Hard to explain but easy to figure out when you see it.

This is a very complex version https://www.wired.com/2011/04/bike-h...-of-buildings/
Old 05-11-20, 12:50 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I found a picture with plans on how to make. Very inexpensive and easy
https://makezine.com/projects/swiveling-balcony-hoist/
Old 05-11-20, 01:07 PM
Mesher

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh no! I will be turning 62 in a few days. Is this what I have to look forward to?
Old 05-11-20, 01:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
The other issue can be shoes. I lived in a 2nd floor apartment when I raced. Going down with the bikein my plastic soled race shoes was a challenge. (And I was a young and indestructible 24 yo.)

Give real thought to the shoes you will be riding in, especially if you go clipless. (Systems that use the 2-bolt SDP pattern fit MTB shoes, many of which have excellent walkable soles. 3-bolt road racing cleats and shoes are a much bigger challenge. I like and use two different 3-bolt cleats. On one pair, I had a local cobbler glue on sole around the cleats. Huge help. (Not easy for him. Told me he'd never do it again for the $50 he quoted me. But his work was very good and has given me zero problems over years.)

Ben
Old 05-11-20, 01:23 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Young man:

Up-Grab the seatpost as close to the BB as you can with one hand, other hand on the bars. Walk up stairs.

Down-Pull up on the bars so the bike balances on the rear wheel. Hold the rear brake and walk the bike down the stairs slowing down with the rear brake.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-11-20, 01:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Mesher
Oh no! I will be turning 62 in a few days. Is this what I have to look forward to?
yup, better turn around & go back now
Old 05-11-20, 01:48 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 227 Posts
Just hoist that bike up on one arm and take the bike up and down the stairs. Use your free hand to guide the front wheel around corners if you need to. Consider it cross training. Pretty soon you'll be so adept at it you won't think twice about it.
Old 05-11-20, 02:16 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Mesher
I just joined Club 62 last week. I'm extremely blessed to be in great shape, my kids can't keep up with me even. Took the day off from work and did a metric century on a hybred bike on a Rail Trail. giving serious thought to making this a weekly thing for the summer.

Happy Birthday Mesher!
Old 05-11-20, 02:49 PM
kastigar

Bikes: Trek 7.2FX and a Trek 720, hybrid modified for road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Something like this might help: Google "Steerstopper"
Old 05-11-20, 05:24 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
When going up the stairs, grab the seat post below the saddle with your dominate hand, front wheel behind you. It will naturally balance to the slope of the stairs. Going down just the opposite.
if you have a hand rail, use the hand opposite the rail to carry it this way and use the other hand to hold the rail.
Old 05-13-20, 03:23 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I am 67 and walk the bike up the stairs holding the handlebars. I do up one or two steps at a time and then apply the F&R brakes, then go up the two steps while still keeping it locked, and walk it up two more, do it again. When I get to the landing, I lock the rear wheel and pivot the bike vertically and turn to the next set of steps and go again.

Our basement steps have 8 steps, a landing the 8 more steps in a zig-zag. I have used this technique since college and city apartment days.

Advantages, no marked walls, no marked floors, no falling, and bike can be lightly loaded.

To go down, I lock the rear wheel, pull it upright, and walk it down on the rear wheel using the rear brake.

During the biking season, the bikes stay in the spare bedroom, unless guests come.
Old 05-13-20, 03:55 PM
RidesaCarlton

Bikes: 1962 Estermann, 1962 English something, 1971 Carlton, 1972 Colnago, 1972 Pogliaghi, 1979 Nishiki, and 1982 Cambio Rino

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
I can't believe no one else has told you this tip. Always carry the bike in your right hand so the chain is away from your cloths. (Assuming it is facing forward.) It is a waste to put chain lube on cloths.

Last edited by RidesaCarlton; 05-14-20 at 06:50 PM. Reason: I just thoughgt of an amusing comment to add.