Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Boy oh boy, have things changed...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Boy oh boy, have things changed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 07:31 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm going to have to go learn more about the Look suspension stem on the Cyclops. I haven't seen that one before.
Look Ergostem. There was a time that prices on them were through the roof, along with pin-up girl Alter stems. I think the prices have dropped a bit, although they don't come up very often.
Old 05-06-21, 07:31 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 544 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I'm certainly not seeing anything like the Della Santa I got at Goodwill for $275, or the Giordana I got from a local craigslist seller for $150, these days. And don't get me started about the Portland (Oregon) bike market...
Truth! On the other hand, I’m selling bikes I bought as quarantine projects quite easily. I listed my Trek 6000 for what I thought was an optimistic price and received multiple inquiries the first day. I’m selling it to a co-worker for asking price and he is THRILLED to get it!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 05-06-21, 07:59 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Truth! On the other hand, I’m selling bikes I bought as quarantine projects quite easily. I listed my Trek 6000 for what I thought was an optimistic price and received multiple inquiries the first day. I’m selling it to a co-worker for asking price and he is THRILLED to get it!
Excellent! It's definitely a seller's market in Stumptown.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 05-06-21, 09:53 AM
Dylansbob 

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

johnnyace That's good to hear for my business. Half the bikes I sold in Tacoma last year were from Portlanders driving up for them.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 05-06-21, 09:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Look Ergostem
Well, that turned out not as interesting as I hoped
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-06-21, 10:07 AM
Mrstott

Bikes: LOOK kg96 Team Replica, Miyata 914, Giant Peloton Lite, Cannondale R4000si

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which harbor in Southern California?

It’s nice to hear there’s an appreciation for vintage bikes. I am not at a level that would justify a pricy, modern bike with all the fancy components, so the vintage bikes are a perfect fit. Of course I’m willing to spend some money within reason. I’ve noticed some bikes are priced crazy while others are reasonable and sometimes you even spot a killer deal. It’s all about timing.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I was at the harbor a week or so ago and leaned my Colnago against a wall while I sat about fifteen feet away and had coffee. It was amazing how much attention that bike got, and it is not pristine. It has been well used and shows its age , but folks were just really interested in the"vintage ten speed" sitting against the wall. My wife said "I guess you were right , that is a special bike"! A year ago most folks didn't pay attention for the most part , just the occasional comment . I have noticed that some are asking high prices for average vintage bikes now. I don't know how many are selling though. There are still deals here in Southern California but not as many as a few years ago.
Old 05-06-21, 10:23 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
^^^ Ventura Harbor. I was there with my wife , she was riding her Electra Townie ebike.
Old 05-06-21, 10:24 AM
Mrstott

Bikes: LOOK kg96 Team Replica, Miyata 914, Giant Peloton Lite, Cannondale R4000si

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you bought an ergostem and didn’t like it? I’ve seen them on eBay recently for around $300 **those were NOS I believe**

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Well, that turned out not as interesting as I hoped
Old 05-06-21, 11:21 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
The vintage and collectible price surge has been building momentum for a good 5 years - at least where I live; due to a number of factors. Covid has definitely kicked it up another notch.
Old 05-06-21, 11:38 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts

Not my bike or pics. But as you can see in 2013 this frameset was $500usd. It's a pretty rare bike. But by 2019 it had increased to $1850.!!! And now with crazy covid prices I bet it's min $2500 if you could find one.
Old 05-06-21, 11:56 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Excellent! It's definitely a seller's market in Stumptown.
Good to know. I need to clear the (far too many) bikes out of my garage.
Old 05-07-21, 06:34 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 544 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Good to know. I need to clear the (far too many) bikes out of my garage.
Get crackin’! You’ll have free garage space in no time.
Old 05-07-21, 08:23 AM
Dylansbob 

Originally Posted by cbrstar

Not my bike or pics. But as you can see in 2013 this frameset was $500usd. It's a pretty rare bike. But by 2019 it had increased to $1850.!!! And now with crazy covid prices I bet it's min $2500 if you could find one.

I was just talking to my wife about the bmx market. 20yrs ago, I was picking all the classics at thrift stores and selling them on ebay. I had 3 or 4 Motomags, a Decade, a Pro-Styler, Schwinn Black Phantom bmx. We were buying for under $20 and selling for $300-500 and thinking we were doing good. I saw a Mongoose Decade go for $3k a few weeks ago.

Really makes me wonder about the 90s mtb market right now. I sold a '96 Klein for below market locally that would have probably been a great one to sit on for another 4-5 years.
Old 05-07-21, 09:30 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I was just talking to my wife about the bmx market. 20yrs ago, I was picking all the classics at thrift stores and selling them on ebay. I had 3 or 4 Motomags, a Decade, a Pro-Styler, Schwinn Black Phantom bmx. We were buying for under $20 and selling for $300-500 and thinking we were doing good. I saw a Mongoose Decade go for $3k a few weeks ago.

Really makes me wonder about the 90s mtb market right now. I sold a '96 Klein for below market locally that would have probably been a great one to sit on for another 4-5 years.
That's an interesting thought about the MTN bikes and I bet you're right. I think the vintage road bikes have probably hit their peak (and will continue to peak for a long time) as everything old is new again and like anything in fashion, there is this period of time where it's suddenly chic again. Those who like nice bikes or were around and riding them in that time have always and will always like them but I think younger people are appreciating them more than ever.

For MTN bikes we might be on the verge of the trend, with this gravel bike conversion interest going on. Good quality steele or alloy mixes without all the heavy suspension makes for a pretty cool bike. I had an old Trek 800 90's MTN bike that was in rough shape and needed to be replaced so initially I figured I would just be dumping it but decided to test the market to see if there was an interest and my phone was exploding.
Old 05-07-21, 04:22 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Well, I just picked up a 1972 Peugeot PX-10, from the original owner, for $105. Outside of Portland, no less. Actually, it was three Peugeots for $315. And three Brooks Pro saddles in excellent condition. All told, it cost me $450. So I'm not complaining.
Old 05-07-21, 04:59 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I think it's really hit or miss. I haven't bought anything recently because there's nothing out there that interests me. And, I haven't sold anything lately because the two bikes I'm advertising are $285 & $385. (And, that's just break even price). You can get a brand new mail order bike from China for that price. (Might not be as cool as my vintage stuff. But, it's brand new). Anyhow. These are what I'm offering right now. I hope I'm not violating any bikeforum rules. Every time I post any bike pictures and prices I get into trouble.

​​​​​​​
Old 05-10-21, 11:49 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Less than two years ago, I picked this up for cheap. I bought the bike through Kijiji, a website similar to Craigslist. It was the second vintage road bike that I ever saw listed in my area on such a website...

But things have changed - a lot. Just yesterday, all of these and more flood the Kijiji listings in Thunder Bay.

Near mint and little used Cyclops - $1500 CND (six times+ what I paid for the Marinoni)...

Excellent condition Magestic - $200 CND (found similar bikes at the dump)...

Masi, helmet and shoes was listed for $400 CND and then $500 CND the next day...

Peugeot $400 CND (found some just as nice at the dump)...

Raleigh entry level - $125 CND (usually find stuff like this at the dump)...

Tomasso in great shape, again little used - $500 CND...

Entry level Seking - $150 CND (got lots like this at the dump)..

To be up front, there are still deals, now and again. Bought this one a couple of weeks ago for less than a hundred. And, for what it is worth, not one vintage road bike has showed up at the dump (yet) but I did get a very nice almost new road bike saddle there a week ago...

Just looking at that saddle makes my butt hurt!!! That is a nice looking bike. Good score!
Old 05-10-21, 12:06 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
It’s called inflation

A year ago I bought two used bikes during the early parts of the pandemic and the stock market crash, got a great deal on both. I stepped up with cash and invested in bikes when no one else was willing to do so. Based on comps I see on craigslist, EBay, etc I could probably sell both of those bikes today for 2.5 times what I paid. So yeah, it’s a different world. Your portfolio and your house are probably worth twice as much as they did one year ago. The loonie is probably worth a lot less too. You didn’t think you were getting a free lunch did you? The central bank printing presses are doing exactly what they were intending to do, inflating all asset values.
Likes For viffer:
Old 05-10-21, 12:27 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by viffer
You didn’t think you were getting a free lunch did you? The central bank printing presses are doing exactly what they were intending to do, inflating all asset values.
It's amazing to me how few people understand monetary and price inflation (or perhaps are willfully ignorant). But then, I've read and understand the Austrian school of economics (Hayek, Mises, Rothbard, etc.). Most are content to swallow whatever BS the mainstream media and the duopoly feed them.