Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Large display computer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Large display computer

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 12:50 PM
tcbrit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Large display computer

As my eyesight isn't as good as it once was I am looking for a cycle computer with a large display. Is there any website that does comparisons based on display size? I'd like to have more than line of display if possible???

I haven't used one before and may possibly use it with a bike trainer if I ever get one!

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Tony
Old 01-18-10, 07:29 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I have seen this question occasionally asked. The usual response is for the discsussion to heads toward the use of sunglasses with magnifiers on the bottom, like bifoculs. I tried them , they are not a perfect solution for me.

If we keep asking this question mybe the mfgs or the reviewers understand their is an unmet need in the market place.

If it were within my budget I would look at these Garmin Edge bicycle GPS . Large, colorful and backlit high contrast .

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&ra=true
Old 01-20-10, 04:09 PM
tcbrit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks zebede

I saw the Sigma BC 1606L, wireless with cadence with a big display for under 50 dollars at Dicks yesterday - so I might try that one

Cheers,
Tony

Originally Posted by zebede
I have seen this question occasionally asked. The usual response is for the discsussion to heads toward the use of sunglasses with magnifiers on the bottom, like bifoculs. I tried them , they are not a perfect solution for me.

If we keep asking this question mybe the mfgs or the reviewers understand their is an unmet need in the market place.

If it were within my budget I would look at these Garmin Edge bicycle GPS . Large, colorful and backlit high contrast .

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&ra=true
Old 01-24-10, 01:23 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The other one I would try would be a Cateye Strada. It's not a huge computer, but it doesn't have to be, either. The speedometer takes up most of the display, and you push down on the whole thing to change functions.

I don't know how it compares to the Sigma you found, but I think it's more legible than the Blackburn Neuro that I also have.
Old 01-25-10, 10:11 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tcbrit
Thanks zebede

I saw the Sigma BC 1606L, wireless with cadence with a big display for under 50 dollars at Dicks yesterday - so I might try that one

Cheers,
Tony
I have the Sigma something something - L (for backlight, though mine is wired). It has the best display I've seen so far on a speedometer - no fade-out at bad angles like my cateye had. Every time I need a new speedometer (keep buying "just one more" bike) I buy one.

Just a 2 second opinion/experience.
Old 01-28-10, 10:39 AM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Planet Bike Protege 9.0 has a large display for only $35; Sigma Sport BC906 which could be the computer the other poster was talking about has a large display for the same $35 but most Sigmas have a large display.

But Topeak has the largest displays of any company, their largest is the Panaram V12 wide screen cost about $35; see: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FIE3QE/...SIN=B000FIE3QE

Topeak also has a wireless version of the above, but why? Wireless has reliability issues, and batteries are short lived in the sender unit, and their heavier.
Old 01-28-10, 11:23 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I think the "Specialized" computers had a pretty huge display to.
Old 01-29-10, 11:33 AM
BearSquirrel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the Specialized Speed Zone speed display is the largest I've seen. The new Garmin Edge 500 also seems like an attractive option.

OP: besides being able to read the display, what else do you need? Heartrate, Cadence, Altitude, Data Syncing???

Myself I'm using the Sigma ROX 9.0 it has a VERY large center speed display. The top and bottom displays are about the size of the Cateye Micro Wireless I've previously used.
Old 01-29-10, 02:21 PM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Cateye Strada shows a big number for speed -- easy to see. That might work fine.

A real nice computer, actually.
Old 02-06-10, 02:55 PM
tcbrit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP HERE:
I took the Sigma Sport BC 1606L out for a ride today and it works VERY WELL. The display is clear even without glasses. It's nice to see the cadence display and I now know that my cadence is somewhere between 60-80 so I need to work on improving that.
I'm doing 20-23mph at 80 cadence on the flat (14mph winds).
The only negative is that the speed increments are in 0.5mph divisions. I'd rather see 0.1mph divisions.
Other than that I am very happy
Old 09-19-12, 03:34 PM
nerys

Bikes: Day 6 Dream 21

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another solution IF super accurate low speed is not critical for you and a slight "lag time" is ok.

cheap android phones are plentiful. you can get them for around $30 to $50 used and install speedometer and even specialized cycling software on it. 3.5" is a nice size and that is a "small" phone alas not all that visible in direct sun light so you would need to fashion a hood for it most likely. my S2 is a amoled so should be "usable" in sunlight.