Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you do if a motorist intentionally buzzes you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: A motorist buzzes you on purpose, your primary reaction is
Totally ignore it
11.96%
Look up, but do nothing
15.79%
Momentary panic from surprise
7.18%
One fingered wave
23.44%
Five fingered wave
10.53%
Call the cops
3.83%
Whine about it on BF
3.35%
Try to catch the motorist
11.48%
Identify the vehicle and plot retribution
9.09%
Other (please explain)
3.35%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

What do you do if a motorist intentionally buzzes you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 07:08 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by curtwally
I know it is tough, but try to get the license and call it in to 911. We solved such a drivers problem this summer by catching him on the 2nd time. This guy had a major mental problem against cyclists. But after the sheriff came to his house and explained the rights of cyclists he has behaved like a model citizen. We have seen him since on the same road as the 2 incidents he initiated. We had to stop his behavior before he killed someone. We all really need to do this.

Our club has initiated also (because we see negative activity against cyclists getting worse every year) a "wave" and "thank you" when we see motorists showing extra consideration for our group. I think this can help in the long run.

regards. curtwally
You know, just for amusement, I will call the sherif's office today and ask what they recommend me to do with aggressive a-hole drivers.

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
1) Get a license plate number, and a cell phone picture if possible, and call the police.

2) chase them down and do the above.

Occassionally with traffic or stop lights you get lucky. And if you don't catch them at least you got a good workout, and burnt off all the adrenalin.
OK, since I know you have said before you are a lawyer, tell me the benefit of calling the number in. Tell me what they are supposed to do and what they will likely do. Tell me what course of legal action to follow with the police to make sure they pursue the drivers, etc. I am seriously interested to know.
Old 08-20-09, 07:10 AM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AS long as they don't hit or bump me, I'm fine. I'm used to close quarters. I've been doing a lot of motorpacing lately, and I sometimes have to come up to the window and ride alongside. So maybe that's trained me.
I can't imagine that buzzing bothers pro cyclists either.
Old 08-20-09, 07:17 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21
AS long as they don't hit or bump me, I'm fine. I'm used to close quarters. I've been doing a lot of motorpacing lately, and I sometimes have to come up to the window and ride alongside. So maybe that's trained me.
I can't imagine that buzzing bothers pro cyclists either.
Although I am used to it too, I don't like it. The problem is with the close passes you don't know when the one that is going to turn your active life into a life in a wheelchair with a straw coming out of your mouth and breathing through a tracheostomy is going to be. After you get hit, it really doesn't matter whose fault it was, whose right or lack of thereof is, what law or anything else is. You are hit and you are the one to live the consequences regardless. I rather not be close to that if I can help and if others can help it too.
Old 08-20-09, 07:39 AM
hnsq

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you know someone is *intentionally* buzzing you? If they don't hit you, all is good, right?

When I am driving people pass me within inches of my car and that is normal, maybe the person just knows the width of their car, right? If they are in no danger of hitting you (even if they pass within a few inches) why should they bother changing lanes?

I just ignore it. Anything else is just me trying to satisfy my temper, which always leads to trouble. It isn't worth the effort, and I also think pissing off someone who, for all I know, could be very close to going postal on the next person who bothers him is a pretty dumb idea.
Old 08-20-09, 07:46 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hnsq
How do you know someone is *intentionally* buzzing you? If they don't hit you, all is good, right?

When I am driving people pass me within inches of my car and that is normal, maybe the person just knows the width of their car, right? If they are in no danger of hitting you (even if they pass within a few inches) why should they bother changing lanes?

I just ignore it. Anything else is just me trying to satisfy my temper, which always leads to trouble. It isn't worth the effort, and I also think pissing off someone who, for all I know, could be very close to going postal on the next person who bothers him is a pretty dumb idea.

The difference to your car analogy, is that you and me are not cars. You "buzz" and miss another car and the worse thing that happens is a scrape to someone's metal box or yours. A buzz miss at 45 mph to you is not going to have the same consequences. If it did, this all would be pointless.
Old 08-20-09, 07:54 AM
Skones MickLoud
This steel horse I ride

Bikes: 1980something Schwinn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they are in no danger of hitting you (even if they pass within a few inches)
There's no such thing as "no danger of hitting you".

why should they bother changing lanes?
Because it's generally illegal to pass a vehicle (which a bicycle on the road is) without changing lanes.

Bicyclists will always be on the losing end of contact with a car. A dented quarter panel or door, or a busted mirror is not a fair trade for my busted elbow or worse that can result from contact at speed.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to not leave my safety in the hands of complete strangers. There are very few people that I have and would trust with my life; John Q. Driver is not one of those people.
Old 08-20-09, 07:56 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I used to just ignore it. Now I practice taking license numbers. Last time it happened the guy did it to each of us in our group 1 by 1 - we were shelled because it was the final sprint of the ride and we had done our work - and then pulled into his drive (right hooking us). I waited at the end of his drive for him to get out of the car and then (while staying in the road) asked him why he didn't give me 3ft - law in the area.

This area is well known and made the news re-battles between cyclists and locals. It is an extremely affluent area and as a result the roads are very scenic and hilly and there aren't too many houses....errr....compounds in the area.

He tore into a verbal rampage. I kept my cool. Just kept repeating, "You buzzed me and others in our group. We were riding single file on the right hand side of the lane (local ordinance in this area). You are required to give us 3 feet of clearance and you did not.You buzzed me and others in our group. We were riding single file on the right hand side of the lane (local ordinance in this area). You are required to give us 3 feet of clearance and you did not."

After he cussed me out a few times I pulled out my phone to call the cops. Another rider who stopped with me pointed out that a cop was back at the previous corner....waiting to give tickets out to riders....so we went back to him. I told him about the situation and he said, "well....what do you want me to do about it. You guys have to understand that-" I cut him off and said, "no, you have to understand it goes both ways. If I'm up here riding single file then I get 3 feet of clearance. Period."

Later I realized I should have added, "Now get off your fat ass and go talk to the guy. What's your name and how will I get ahold of a copy of the report that you will be writing up?"

Basic fact is that we're at a weight disadvantage out on the road. Don't ever do anything to make the situation worse - regardless of whether you are right or wrong. Wait until they are "dis-armed" or outside of the vehicle. Keep in mind that your interaction will affect how they approach riders the next time. If you leave them pissed off because they think you're an ******* then they will be aggressive. If you leave them pissed off becuase they don't know how to respond to your cool logic then they will think twice the next time.

./....unless they're just *******s.

Old 08-20-09, 08:03 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by orcanova
Try to catch the motorist and call the cops. I did that recently, and simply got ridiculed on bf, btw...

More people sided with the teenage kids than with me. Go figure.

It's odd that hypothetical posts like this bring out all the "internet bad boys".
Posts about the action you took bring out the "hall monitors".
Old 08-20-09, 08:09 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Although I am used to it too, I don't like it. The problem is with the close passes you don't know when the one that is going to turn your active life into a life in a wheelchair with a straw coming out of your mouth and breathing through a tracheostomy is going to be. After you get hit, it really doesn't matter whose fault it was, whose right or lack of thereof is, what law or anything else is. You are hit and you are the one to live the consequences regardless. I rather not be close to that if I can help and if others can help it too.
I'm not sure what your point is. Nothing in this list is going to prevent it from happening again, and some of it might get you dead in the street before you make it home. I don't think it's the close pass that kills you anyway.

I guess I don't even know what qualifies as a "buzz" anymore. Some people seem to panic over anything less than about four feet. I tend to have to really get rocked by a passing car to even notice anymore.
Old 08-20-09, 08:23 AM
RichCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hipcheck5
I used to yell, give them the finger and try to ride them down, then I got married and realized it's more then being about me...but I still get mad sometimes. My favorite was when the offending car was at a light and I was turning with a green arrow, so as I rode by slowly I said "thanks for trying to kill me" and squirted my bottle of energy drink at him through his open window...all over his interior and his suit!

My latest thing is to hold my hand up like a priest and say "bless you my child" really freaks people out!

+1

This is a great answer.
Old 08-20-09, 08:36 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I voted "Other."

Get a rear view mirror, and keep tabs on those behind you.

Don't allow the buzz - take the lane when someone isn't moving over behind you - just don't give them the opportunity.

If they, then, begin to move left, I will go back right to let them by.

It works every time, for me.
Old 08-20-09, 12:01 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember kids: A water bottle of Coca Cola squirted on the hood of a hot car will make for some nice chemical reactions. Picture cabs with nice A's in circles on the hoods, almost to the metal. Hey.. what ca I say I was a punk rockin' messenger full of Coca-Cola.
Old 08-20-09, 03:15 PM
jefferee
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
Remember kids: A water bottle of Coca Cola squirted on the hood of a hot car will make for some nice chemical reactions. Picture cabs with nice A's in circles on the hoods, almost to the metal. Hey.. what ca I say I was a punk rockin' messenger full of Coca-Cola.
Just whatever you do, don't drink that stuff by mistake.
Old 08-20-09, 05:08 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not much you can do but report to the cops. The car will always win
Old 08-20-09, 05:22 PM
obra3
Little Pony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find out where they live and send a nasty-gram.
Old 08-20-09, 07:57 PM
Donegal
Road Nazi Hunter

Bikes: Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Georgia, we just put a couple through the back window and they learn their lesson.
Old 08-20-09, 08:17 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
You know, just for amusement, I will call the sherif's office today and ask what they recommend me to do with aggressive a-hole drivers..
Report back to us and let us know what they say. I usually ignore or flip off. But I'm willing to try something else.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-20-09, 08:22 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
window punch tool.

breaks windows, dents panels and scratches paint, all in one.
P.S. it only breaks tempered windows, so all but the windshield.
Old 08-21-09, 05:39 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
I'm not sure what your point is. Nothing in this list is going to prevent it from happening again, and some of it might get you dead in the street before you make it home. I don't think it's the close pass that kills you anyway.

I guess I don't even know what qualifies as a "buzz" anymore. Some people seem to panic over anything less than about four feet. I tend to have to really get rocked by a passing car to even notice anymore.
My take on defining the "buzz" if I can reach out without effort/no reaching/stretching and take dirt off....that's a buzz. At that point almost any swerve, for whatever reason, could prove difficult. I'm not expecting three feet all the time, heck, not even most of the time.
Old 08-21-09, 06:06 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AEO
window punch tool.

breaks windows, dents panels and scratches paint, all in one.
P.S. it only breaks tempered windows, so all but the windshield.
Breaking windows or putting dents into panels with a window punch or ulocks, rebar, etc, will only land you in criminal and civil court because it will show intent.

If you were to get revenge by vandalism, make it look like an accident, ride up real close and scrape your pedal on the car or something like someone else said their friend did.

Also a good way to get revenge is pull the valve cores out of the tires using a core remover and put them back in. You don't do any permanent damage but will sure put a damper on their day, especially when they come back with 4 flat tires.

Or if you are brave or stupid enough, superman through the rear glass.

Last edited by nitropowered; 08-21-09 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 06:06 AM
kamalster

Bikes: Limongi custom road; GT Avalanche 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hipcheck5
I used to yell, give them the finger and try to ride them down, then I got married and realized it's more then being about me...but I still get mad sometimes. My favorite was when the offending car was at a light and I was turning with a green arrow, so as I rode by slowly I said "thanks for trying to kill me" and squirted my bottle of energy drink at him through his open window...all over his interior and his suit!

My latest thing is to hold my hand up like a priest and say "bless you my child" really freaks people out!
That's brilliant! I'd love to see the reactions to that.
Old 08-21-09, 06:56 AM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask them if they bought SRAM Red
Old 08-21-09, 08:22 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
I have reported many close calls and near misses, the cops do nothing. They didnt see it, my word against thiers etc.
If you have a crap memory like me, and you need to write down a plate number. just scratch it into the dirt on the shoulder of the road. while you dial that way you wont forget the number.
Old 08-21-09, 08:32 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it's a bad thing but I think traffic retribution needs to be near-immediate. I'm not entirely sure Karma follows vehicular goings on. I'm not sayin' assault or damage, but the driver needs to be made aware of transgressions very soon following the incident, otherwise it simply falls out of their heads and would never remember it down the road.
Old 08-21-09, 09:25 AM
Gromulus
Keeper of the Castle

Bikes: 2009 CAAD9-5, 2009 Kona Dew Plus, Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warning Shots

Pull out the (lightweight for all you weight weenies) Glock from your large Topeak saddle bag and pop a couple caps into their trunk!

Just kidding (sort of)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.