Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Helmet Camera

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Helmet Camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 11:01 PM
Snowsurfer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet Camera

Does anyone here run a helmet camera or mount one on their handlebars?
Old 08-31-09, 11:50 PM
obra3
Little Pony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes. a couple of us.
Old 08-31-09, 11:58 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have in the past... not for a while though.
Old 09-01-09, 02:54 AM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes.
Old 09-01-09, 03:31 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
show off your helmet cam vids. let's see them.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 09-01-09, 06:44 AM
cyclocommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do use a GoPro (Wide) from time to time to record rides. I need to get a handlebar mount though as most folks still look at me with funny expressions on their faces when they see me with my cam mounted on my helmet.

I find the edited videos very useful (once I mix in the tunes I exercise with) in motivating me when I am on my trainer.

Last edited by cyclocommuter; 09-01-09 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 08:13 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
obra3 has a link on his blog in his sig. You can also search for helmet cam in the forums.

I don't have a link to my blog from this forum by default, but you can peek here:
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...l/helmet%20cam

I basically race crits only so if you don't want to see a crit, my clips are boring. The last one I did, the first on in the list, has both helmet and bar cam (from a different rider):
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...ne-7-2009.html

I have a couple more clips to finish, a track one and a training ride one (or two).

cdr
Old 09-01-09, 09:10 AM
Snowsurfer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to sound like a total psycho, but does anyone have helmet cameras, or onboard cameras for legal reasons (to protect against lying motorists). Sometimes getting out on the road to train, or ride, or whatever can result in some run-ins with careless motorists. Just recently, there was a cyclist involved in a hit-and-run. This happened in broad daylight, in a semi-busy area, and not a single witness got the licence plate.

Sometimes, witnesses may even distort the truth and side with the motorists.
It's good to have a camera system in case. There was a cyclist who was hit by an SUV. The SUV ran a red light, the cyclist had a green. A witness said that the cyclist was at fault.
The whole thing was caught on video, and showed that the cyclist had a green.

Old 09-01-09, 09:33 AM
cyclocommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snowsurfer, I think what you are saying makes sense especially for those of us who also use our bikes to commute. I actually had a cycling buddy ask me if my GoPro could be programmed to act like a closed circuit VCR recorder... meaning if it could record videos in a loop until the batteries ran out. Unfortunately that feature is not available on the GoPro although it does have a snapshot every 2 seconds mode which could probably be useful... the digital images are actually pretty good especially since I installed the latest firmware patch... it could easily capture plate numbers, etc. The camera's batteries also last longer when it is in continuous snapshot mode as opposed to video mode.
Old 09-01-09, 09:46 AM
cyclocommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
obra3 has a link on his blog in his sig. You can also search for helmet cam in the forums.

I don't have a link to my blog from this forum by default, but you can peek here:
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...l/helmet%20cam

I basically race crits only so if you don't want to see a crit, my clips are boring. The last one I did, the first on in the list, has both helmet and bar cam (from a different rider):
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...ne-7-2009.html

I have a couple more clips to finish, a track one and a training ride one (or two).

cdr
Nice vids you got there.
Old 09-01-09, 11:00 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclocommuter
Snowsurfer, I think what you are saying makes sense especially for those of us who also use our bikes to commute. I actually had a cycling buddy ask me if my GoPro could be programmed to act like a closed circuit VCR recorder... meaning if it could record videos in a loop until the batteries ran out. Unfortunately that feature is not available on the GoPro although it does have a snapshot every 2 seconds mode which could probably be useful... the digital images are actually pretty good especially since I installed the latest firmware patch... it could easily capture plate numbers, etc. The camera's batteries also last longer when it is in continuous snapshot mode as opposed to video mode.
I think small video recorders or time-lapse pictures will become normal for bikes and cars. It's kind of like the dash cams on police cars. With such tiny devices drawing negligible power at relatively low costs, I see them becoming an inexpensive way of proving innocence on the camera owner's part (for the most part), especially in situations where it's one person's word against another.

I also see it as a future thing on bikes. With bikes way below the UCI limits (granted, those limits are a bit outdated now), pros need to actually put weight on bikes. A 200-400 gram camera would be great for "on bike footage" etc. This could lead to some decent developments of cameras.

With commuters and such, it would be very illuminating for the nay-sayers who consistently relate commuters with poor cyclists. There may be a correlation, but it's like motorcyclists - they all get a bad rap because of the yahoos doing nutty things. So getting buzzed by a truck is one thing. Getting buzzed and having a video of it is another.

I wish I had videos of a bunch of different instances. Three times a car has pulled up next to me, literally so I am next to the passenger door or forward of it, and then turned right. I've never fallen, but each time the driver said "I already passed you" or "I never saw you". On one I was next to the front tire and almost went over the hood, the other two my forearm got hooked under the passenger mirror. If I had a video of those incidents the drivers would shut up pretty quickly. Then there are the t-bones when cars pulled into a driveway or parking lot and tagged me on the way (all of them I managed to stay upright too, once I got spun 180 because the rear wheel lifted when the car hit and it spun me around).

Plus videos of weird things on rides would be cool too.

Originally Posted by cyclocommuter
Nice vids you got there.
thanks

cdr
Old 09-01-09, 01:52 PM
cyclefreaksix

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've got a small cheap camera that I run during my commute. I have it on my seatpost pointing backwards. I've had more problems with cars riding my ass and or buzzing me than anything.
No interesting vids yet...
Old 09-01-09, 01:57 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowsurfer
Does anyone here run a helmet camera or mount one on their handlebars?
considering that i'd rather watch america's got talent, or even raam, than footage captured by said cameras, the answer is no.