Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spindle/Crank Set for Giant Sedona 21

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 04:46 PM
Zantaeus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lately I have noticed a clacking in my pedals when biking, every time pressure is applied I get a solid click from the crank that I can feel in the pedals and only when pushing down on the pedals. I think the bearings and spindle on my Sedona 21 might be reaching their end as it has not been replaced in the 7+ years that I have had it. Only issue is that I can't find the specific measurements for the spindle so that I can replace it and likely the crank set as well since the main bolts are looking rusty. Any suggestions on what the problem might be or know what spindle a Sedona 21 uses?
Old 02-29-24, 05:29 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
The crank used is what determines which spindle to use.
IF you can't identify the crank, you'll have to remove it and the BB to see what size is marked on the BB. (Bottom Bracket)

I presume the bike is a Giant Sedona.
If so, it was made over a bunch of years and would most likely have had several different cranks used depending on the age.
Manfs. can also change mid stream to another brand/model crank.
Old 02-29-24, 06:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I would remove the crank and remove the bottom bracket and then it usually will have somewhere on the bottom bracket or the spindle the size and assuming that is the correct size you can get a new one with that spindle length. Usually it will be 73x180 (which is made up but it would be usually the bottom bracket width and then the spindle length). Shimano makes the UN-300 which is a solid lower cost option but if you love the bike and it is a decent bike IRD Defiant QB-95 is a higher end option or if you want the longest lasting probably SKF or Phil Wood.
Old 03-01-24, 04:08 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 332 Posts
May be bottom bracket. May also be pedals, check those first. Usually will click on one side but not the other unless both have been neglected. Easy check would be to swap in known good pedals to see if click disappears. But if you pull the pedals off and just rotate the spindle in your fingers, if it's anything but glass smooth, I'd suspect. I've rebuilt the same set of pedals many times, last time I replaced the balls. Oh also, some cheaper pedals have a stamped bearing (outside) race, which will often crack, causing the click and a loosening of the pedal on the spindle. Check the pedals first.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 03-01-24, 09:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Clicks might be the pedal. Try some other pedals and see if the click you feel is still there. Or just clean, lube and adjust the pedal bearings if it's a serviceable pedal. I've never had a BB that clicked. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've had pedals that let me feel a click on the downstroke when applying power.