Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Anybody going to the Banana Belt in Oregon next weekend?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 02:07 AM
awesomejack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am, first time racer, I was just going to watch the first race then decide if I would participate, but the beginners clinic they offer is what convinced me. I'm afraid of just getting dropped and left behind, but I figure its early in the season and other people won't be in top shape either (then again, because its early in the season, it could only be the dedicated in-shape-all-winter cyclists who show up). Plus I just did a 75 mile ride today, and still could put out some power around mile 60, so I figure I can hold my own in a 33 mile race.

So, anybody going to be there? Anybody who participated in past years?
Old 02-21-11, 10:29 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I won't be there this year, but have done this race several times and recommend it. Don't worry about getting dropped. If it happens, it happens and you know you need more work. The hills (rollers really) are pretty short (all are 1 - 2 minute climbs, I think), and all are followed by a similar size descent that you can use to chase back on if needed.

Take care going into the final sprint (assuming they are racing the course clockwise). It is downhill and somewhat narrow so it can be a bit hairy. Hopefully a few riders with a sprinter team mate will hammer the final 1km. That will keep it a little bit strung out and therefore much safer.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-22-11, 01:27 AM
awesomejack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I've ridden the loop before (I'm only 15 miles away), and I'm not afraid of the hills. But I read a few blogs from years past and one Cat5 said the average speed was 21mph (!!) and a few others reported up to a 24mph race. Which just seems ridiculous for a hilly race like this. I know I could hold a 21 mph race on flats, but on hills, I'm not sure about it.

But I found out that I can volunteer and then race for free, so I can't really that down. Guess I'm just going to deal with my fears of getting dropped, its like getting free race experience.

And this year, Races 1 and 3 will be counter clockwise and race 2 is clockwise.
Old 03-02-11, 04:31 PM
awesomejack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Race got delayed a week... still 4 days until the start
Old 03-10-11, 01:14 AM
obra3
Little Pony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was 8 inches of snow at Hagg lake that week. Hope you came out an had a good time!