Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another DeBernardi build thread (back from the painters)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 06:36 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,127 Times in 748 Posts

Before photo : Not the worst out there - but definitely lived a hard life . This bike is from the 8 speed era, I built it originally in 1995

White (pearl in this case) paint is good at hiding damage in photos , but the frame has a smattering of bumps, bruises and dents along with typical paint wear and tear on chainstays and forks ----
--- the dents were not huge and the local framebuilder suggested filling them in with brazing material and filing them smooth as opposed to replacing the tubes ----

Fast forward a few months --- and she is ready for newfound glory ! Paint is not perfect but is a far cry better than I saw on a lot of production frames from the time period

REally nice shade of pearl, and I went with orange for the decals just out of personal preference

Now comes the dilemna ---- I've been collecting piles of very nice lightly used Racing T triple parts over the winter along with other bits n pieces from this frames time period

So whats the problem you say? - I have 2 other machines built up with triple cranksets but for most of my riding, I have found I like the compact doubles better --- I am almost thinking about going modern on the complete gruppo since I have not been able to find any square taper compact Campy cranksets that would blend in with the rest of my mid 90's components I have rounded up -- (and I am not in solid enough shape to push a 39 x27 up some of the short, steep hills I encounter in my AO )

--- It admittedly is a fun dilemma to be in and a nice distraction from some of the heavy-handed personal issues I have railed on about on this forum

Old 06-16-16, 12:31 AM
Pawlus

Bikes: Moser Leader NP, Koga Miyata WT 86'

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice paint job. I really like that color, it's highlights the classic nature of the frame.

On the groupset dilemma: I can really feel you on the compact/triple problem. What's more: I feel like triple cranksets became sort of passé on road bikes nowadays. That said I feel like if you already have campy triple drivetrain (which looks really good btw) it will be much easier and cheaper just to use that.

But if you feel like the new gruppo is what that bike needs I would recommend Campagnolo Athena silver groupset. Damn it's are nice and would look great on a classic bike.
Old 06-16-16, 04:28 AM
Lazyass

Liked 647 Times in 402 Posts
Looks good. I had a deBernardi in the 90's, wish I still had it. I would build it with the parts you already have, but I like anything better than a compact.
Old 06-16-16, 05:11 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Looks great...would go with the Racing Triple...good, reliable group with broad gearing...and...you already have it...so it can be on the road faster!
Old 06-16-16, 05:40 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I've always been a fan of pearlescent colourways, bicycles and cars, too. That looks fantastic after the filling and smoothing of the dents, I'd have to get really close to attempt to find where it had been repaired. The De Bernardi logos are a nice compliment to the paint job, I prefer yours to the originals.

I wish I knew more about the triple v. compact question, I have moved away from compact crank-sets this year, and I don't know enough about triples to speak about them. Most of the parts you have shown would make a nice bike anyone would love to ride/own, an embarrassment of riches, I suppose. Even with having two triples built that comp triple shown in your pics would be a great addition. Campagnolo's racing triples have been an attraction for me, I wish I had known more about them previously.

Great way to work past the personal issues you have battled lately, not a total answer, but better than some self destructive abuse. More pics and reports, please.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-16-16, 06:12 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 3,986 Times in 1,320 Posts
Gorgeous. Really a nice color combination!

Have you considered a Campy-looking compact crankset? Some of the older fluted style Japanese cranks mimic the Campagnolo design and have a smaller BCD for compact size rings. I used an SR Apex on my Cinelli that I rode in L'Eroica, fitted with 48/34 rings:

Old 06-16-16, 10:59 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by rccardr
Gorgeous. Really a nice color combination!

Have you considered a Campy-looking compact crankset? Some of the older fluted style Japanese cranks mimic the Campagnolo design and have a smaller BCD for compact size rings. I used an SR Apex on my Cinelli that I rode in L'Eroica, fitted with 48/34 rings:

Oh my gosh - this is so pretty !

Given the nature of the frame I have (mid 90's with 130 spacing) --- I was trying to stick with C-Record and later styling --

I don't even know why I care - I know its not a '58 Corvette or anything, -- I just figured with the brifters and 8/9/10 speed groups, the slightly later model look of the drop molded cranksets used from '88ish and up were what I was trying to adhere to

-- Like has already been chimed in - I already have triple parts in multiples - may as well use 'em I guess

Gives me a little impetus to keep losing weight --- I never complained about pushing a 12-23 with a 53/39 BITD --- might give me some more impetus to keep the diet tight so I can handle a 12-28 today with a "normal" crankset
Old 06-17-16, 09:47 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Liked 426 Times in 285 Posts
Beautiful refinish. That pearl is tricky painting. By chance who's brand paint? My now long gone early 80's Colnago had a very fine pearl white finish.

Some used in automotive changed with age and a problem with pigment blotching. Specifically Audi. Porsche though used actual crushed pearls. They even offered pearl dyed leather.

Looking forward to seeing the final build. Very cool~
Old 06-23-16, 12:17 PM
DMC707

I have decided to go with the bits n pieces I already have and build the bike up as a triple chainring cruiser for now

---- I could spend countless more hours poring over e-bay to find perfect, mid 90's era correct Campagnolo Record or Chorus bits n pieces to finish dressing it out --- or

- I have decided to get the thing on the road so I can enjoy it for the rest of summer ---

I have been told the Racing T stuff and the Comp Triple stuff will handle 10 speed rear cassettes, so I am building as a 10 speed.
This pic is from an ebay seller --- I scored 2 sets of new takeoff wheels - evidently Felt made a "throwback" steel framed machine a couple of years back with late model Campagnolo parts - but they used house brand hubs and nice semi aero cross section silver rims . The bike didn't sell very well evidently, so a dealer was parting them out and had the wheels left
--- silver on silver with stainless spokes is a good look for a white bike with a vintage flavor so I am hoping they perform well enough as well

Admittedly, the Felt take offs with their beer can style hub body was not my first choice for this build - but they were a deal ----
These 8 speed hubs are on the way along with a 9/10/11 freehub conversion body --- this is more like it, --- I am going to hit these with some flitz and a polishing wheel and build up a set of tubulars for special rides

This is the choice I may regret,(due to being black ) but I impulse purchased these when I saw the white hoods - They are Veloce, but I would guess modern Veloce shifting performance is likely equal to or better than the Record and Chorus stuff of the mid to late 90's

--- again - kinda like the wheels - Veloce is not my first choice for this build up, but they were 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of new 10 speed carbon shifters - and I believe will get me rolling just fine ---

When I started this project, my vision was to create a museum quality restoration using only the prettiest stuff from the era , but when I got it back from the painter's - I just had an almost over-whelming desire to get it built so I can ride it --- and I will not fight this urge -- We're smack dab in the middle of riding season, - I can spend the winter piddling around looking for NOS mid 90's haberdashery if I feel the need

--- I am considering the Factory Five open front 31.8 quill stem so I can use some modernish short reach bars on it , but if that doesn't work out, I will likely be using Nitto stuff for the cockpit -- It is very hard to get 46c Cinelli bars these days in silver but wide bars from Nitto are readily available through Rivendell. Some brown/tan sidewall open tubulars for this are almost mandatory - in as wide a profile as I can get on there (27's fit my blue bike with room to spare - i'd like to try some 30's if I can find them )

In the meantime -- the bike's blue brother continues to treat me quite well while I am sourcing parts and looking for bargains for this one

Last edited by DMC707; 06-23-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-23-16, 01:56 PM
cyclotoine

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
that pearl frame would look amazing with all glossy black parts to match those shifters, just sayin'.