Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Shims

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Handlebar Shims

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 04:12 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Braced with Aluminum legs from walker

It’s actually well braced with aluminum tubes salvaged from an old walker (it belonged to my grandmother). U-bolts on each fork, there’s a reinforcement inside the end of each tube, slightly flattened to fit the threads.
This arrangement prevents the handlebars from moving forward if I brake hard. It’s a lot stronger than you think, those milk crates can stand a mans weight standing on them.

BTW, I got the handlebars shims on another bike right now. I bought two sets of these ape-hangers…
Old 03-13-23, 08:56 PM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Here's the pic. You can see the Coke shims on each side.

This is far and away the best thing about bicycles and cycling I've read in a looong time! As a cowboy home mechanic I'm finally vindicated!
Old 03-13-23, 09:15 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Braced with Aluminum legs from walker

It’s actually well braced with aluminum tubes salvaged from an old walker (it belonged to my grandmother). U-bolts on each fork, there’s a reinforcement inside the end of each tube, slightly flattened to fit the threads.
This arrangement prevents the handlebars from moving forward if I brake hard. It’s a lot stronger than you think, those milk crates can stand a mans weight standing on them.
BTW, I got the handlebars shims on another bike right now. I bought two sets of these ape-hangers…
I want you to make the Gods of Pedaling a solemn promise: 'I will do nothing that mechanically alters the frame and fork of this bicycle"
Everything else is fair game.
I'm pretty sure you know what you have there, but just remember, there will never be another one made, It's a moment in time.
Don't let it get away either, you will regret it. I do.

That being said, is the crate a stressed member or is it framed? You gave me a couple of ideas, lol.
Old 03-14-23, 05:05 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I want you to make the Gods of Pedaling a solemn promise: 'I will do nothing that mechanically alters the frame and fork of this bicycle"
Everything else is fair game.
I'm pretty sure you know what you have there, but just remember, there will never be another one made, It's a moment in time.
Don't let it get away either, you will regret it. I do.

That being said, is the crate a stressed member or is it framed? You gave me a couple of ideas, lol.

Underside of milk crate

There may or may not be stress on the milk crate. If I stop suddenly, my upper body momentum may push the high-rise handlebars forward, but this is stopped by the aluminum bars holding up the front of the crate.
They have tie-wire holding them so they don’t drop out.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 03-14-23, 06:52 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergz
This is far and away the best thing about bicycles and cycling I've read in a looong time! As a cowboy home mechanic I'm finally vindicated!
You'll like this then: Graeme Obree's hour record bike.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 03-14-23, 06:55 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by grumpus
You'll like this then: Graeme Obree's hour record bike.
Graeme Obree is in the same Facebook group with me! Small world!