Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Rack Bag Suggestions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 05:34 PM
jwse30

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed, Trek 1400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an old Schwinn that I added a Wald 215 rear rack to. I found a similar sized bag (was sold as a fishing tackle bag) and used some heavy duty adhesive and Velcro to secure it to the rack. However, the bag doesn't have any walls to speak of, so it tends to fall off center of the rack occasionally. I added an old piece of Tupperware to the inside of the bag and it seems to help, but not cure the problem.

Can anyone recommend a bag that would attach to my Wald rack that won't shift around like my homemade setup does? One bag that I was looking at online was the Axiom Caboose 11; anyone have an opinion on that one?

Thanks in advance,

J White
Old 07-19-15, 10:59 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I did a 500 mile tour over mostly unpaved but hard packed trails and the $40.00 Performance Bicycle bag was great. Lots of room, expandable, rigid sides, great pockets and zippers and handy places for attachments. I really like that it attaches with four separate corner Velcro straps rather than two, like so many other bags. Using the straps that the two strap bags have is a pain, particularly if you have fenders. This one goes on and off easily and stays on securely.

TransIt Epic DX Rack Trunk
Old 07-20-15, 09:01 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use an Avenir Excursion Rack top bag, and from what I see of the Wald rack, it should work well for you.

Amazon.com : Avenir Excursion Rack-Top Bag (830 Cubic Inches) : Bike Panniers And Rack Trunks : Sports & Outdoors

But, in general, I think the thing that makes a trunk bag stable is to get one that has 4 velcro connectors (one per corner) and not the ones that try to stay stable with a strap that runs under the rack. The 4 straps seem to hold the pack in position a lot better. I have friend who loves a pack where it has 2 straps that run under the rack, but she has to use bungee cords to keep it in place.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-20-15, 09:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ah this thing https://www.amazon.com/Wald-Rear-Moun.../dp/B00MC4ABL0

panniers offer more room .. you can get them sewn together with a handle in the middle to pop off as one.
Old 07-20-15, 09:51 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
FWIW for decades I have carried a backpack on a rear rack and used two long bungee cords that hook to the rearmost part of the rack and loop through the seat bottom. With my latest backpack I added d-clips to help keep the cords in place, but for 15 years I just Placed the pack on the rack and pulled the cords out to the sides and never had a pack fall off, shift . To remove I simply (unclip with new setup) pull bungees to side and lift. With your "trunk bag" this should work very conveniently.(Ignore smiling idiot enjoying endorphin rush)
Old 07-20-15, 10:00 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a Novara trunk bag and some Novara panniers. They're all from REI. I just looked on the web site and they don't seem to be for sale anymore. But REI had the best selection and prices when I was buying mine.

Four velcro straps is the way to go.
Old 07-20-15, 10:20 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I did a 500 mile tour over mostly unpaved but hard packed trails and the $40.00 Performance Bicycle bag was great. Lots of room, expandable, rigid sides, great pockets and zippers and handy places for attachments. I really like that it attaches with four separate corner Velcro straps rather than two, like so many other bags. Using the straps that the two strap bags have is a pain, particularly if you have fenders. This one goes on and off easily and stays on securely.

TransIt Epic DX Rack Trunk
I have this same bag. Good quality. Well worth the price.
Old 07-20-15, 10:51 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
I have this same bag. Good quality. Well worth the price.
The Nashbar version is even better.
Old 07-20-15, 12:01 PM
golphinn

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Allegro Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up this bag a couple of weeks ago. TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - MTX TrunkBag DXP We could not be happier with this set up. You will need the matching rack for it to mount to. This past 4th of July we fit a 12 pack of beer, plus an ice pack. We then used the 2 side pockets for jackets and still had room left. Once the bag is clicked onto the rack we had zero worries of the bag ever falling off the rack. We also own the rear basket that mounts to the rack. Hope this helps!
Old 07-29-15, 06:24 PM
jwse30

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed, Trek 1400

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas! I think I am going to look into replacing my two Velcro strips with one on each corner and see if that helps it stay a bit more upright. Naturally, it has stayed exactly where it belongs since I started looking at replacements for it.

J White
Old 07-29-15, 09:35 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by jwse30
Thanks for the ideas! I think I am going to look into replacing my two Velcro strips with one on each corner and see if that helps it stay a bit more upright. Naturally, it has stayed exactly where it belongs since I started looking at replacements for it.

J White
Originally Posted by golphinn
I just picked up this bag a couple of weeks ago. TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - MTX TrunkBag DXP We could not be happier with this set up. You will need the matching rack for it to mount to. This past 4th of July we fit a 12 pack of beer, plus an ice pack. We then used the 2 side pockets for jackets and still had room left. Once the bag is clicked onto the rack we had zero worries of the bag ever falling off the rack. We also own the rear basket that mounts to the rack. Hope this helps!
From what I hear from the majority... this ^