Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Chainring BCD questions

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Chainring BCD questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 10:59 AM
MoWheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Chainring BCD questions

I’m considering the purchase of the Zizzo Liberte bike as my first folder. Its specs for the crank include ”48T Prowheel aluminum alloy crank arm 170mm black anodized w/ black aluminum chainring cover”. Does anyone know the BCD for this crank? I’m concerned that the 48T ring is too small and might want to swap it out for a larger chainring. Any thoughts on making this change such as max usable size, shifting performance with larger chainring? Also, does the chainring have alternating narrow-wide teeth to keep the chain from jumping off on shifting? Thanks for any comments.
Old 01-04-21, 01:09 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Just measure the distance from center to center (in mm), and double it to get its BCD. Could be 110 or 130

Then, get a 50/52T chairing with the right BCD and number of bolts (5, unless it changed).

Old 01-05-21, 07:49 AM
MoWheels

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Was hoping to find an owner here who could verify. I looked at Pro-Wheel’s site, but couldn’t find an exact match for the crank. guess I’ll email Zizzo for more specs.
Old 01-05-21, 10:11 AM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
I'm only guessing, but from the picture it looks like a 110. You could certainly find a 52T chainring for it. As for whether it's narrow-wide, it would be unusual to have both narrow-wide teeth and a chainguard on a chainring.
Old 01-05-21, 10:35 AM
MoWheels

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
From review pics on Zizzo’s site, it appears the chainring guard is only on the outside and not on both sides of the chainring. That is what made me wonder about the teeth sizes.
Old 01-05-21, 01:28 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Why not just contact Zizzo and ask?
Old 01-05-21, 10:23 PM
MoWheels

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I did contact the company via email this morning and was pleased to get a reply very quickly. The BCD is 110 and the chainring is not narrow/wide. There is a chainguard on the outside of the chainring and a chain guide on the inside. A larger chainring can be used as long as the chain is long enough or replaced if needed. I have a road bike I converted from double chainrings to a single and used a narrow/wide ring which works great. To me, this route seems more elegant than using a guard/guide.
Old 01-06-21, 12:42 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
its either 110 or 130 , seems like all of prowheels 5 arm cranks are 130 , but i would never run a 48 chain ring on 1x8 , what IDIOT do they have gearing these bikes , unless you live in a completely flat city and never go outside of that , and on a folding bike with flat peds , NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO , seems like you could easily swap the crank for a cheap used carbon and run a 39 or 36 , id at least try to get 1x10 if you are running 48t , all of their cranks seem to come with a chain guide so i wouldn't worry about the chain coming off unless you crash !
Old 03-03-21, 09:48 PM
Hinge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I realize I'm very late to the party here, but I know the answer. I had chance to check out a Liberte a while ago and it had a 110 BCD crank. I was really hoping it had a 130 BCD. Hope that helps.
Old 03-03-21, 10:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
its either 110 or 130 , seems like all of prowheels 5 arm cranks are 130 , but i would never run a 48 chain ring on 1x8 , what IDIOT do they have gearing these bikes , unless you live in a completely flat city and never go outside of that , and on a folding bike with flat peds , NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO , seems like you could easily swap the crank for a cheap used carbon and run a 39 or 36 , id at least try to get 1x10 if you are running 48t , all of their cranks seem to come with a chain guide so i wouldn't worry about the chain coming off unless you crash !
The bike has 20" wheels. A 48 tooth chainring with 20" wheels is roughly a 35 tooth wheel with 700C. You're saying that is idiotic?