Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bar Tape Matchy-Matchy

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bar Tape Matchy-Matchy

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-21, 04:11 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
That almost looks like the Rhubarb striped upsidedown cake I baked last year. The rhubarb strips are a combination of red and green. Gently cook rhubard that has been sliced length wise in a sugar syrup. Lay the strips diagonally in cake pan, pour battery over and bake, Invert and serve. Hmmm. I may have wandered off topic!
I think I just puked up in my mouth a little...
Old 07-03-21, 04:15 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by kfried
Apologies for momentarily derailing this thread: For the OP, what were the issues with the Pirelli P Zeros? I am also considering those for my new build so curious to hear what your experience was.
They were wonky. I should do a separate thread about them but I sent them back to Pirelli. I'm going to wait to see what they say before I post anything in detail.. but here is a Pic of one of the tires....
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 07-03-21, 04:16 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by rsbob
Get different tires with black sidewalls and life will be so easy.
Boooooooooooring
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 07-03-21, 04:18 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by zandoval
Isn't it nuts how a little colour mismatch can just drive ya crazy?

I fully understand, but really, Its close...

You will probably find the right colour when you quit looking for it.

Ya might try a triple basket weave of Red, Honey and Black.

It drives me nuts. If that basket weave had red instead of white and Beige instead of yellow I'd consider it though 😁
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 07-03-21, 04:24 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Hello Sean,

Forget about matching the tires, they're invisible. The dominant visual cues on the bike in your photo are the red Ridley logo and the white HED logo on your rims. You could try this:

Get red bar tape, red cable housing (if there is housing), and red water bottles to match the Ridley logo. Red would look good. Make an effort to get tape and housing in the same red as the Ridley logo. If you like the way that looks, buy a red jersey and helmet!

The HED logos are a distraction, if you can remove them, it would help focus on your red theme.

The secondary possibility is white tape (or Cinelli Zebra tape), housing and bottles to match the HED logo, but... not as cool.

Good luck!
So I removed the HED Logos.

Actually this is a better pic with less going on in the background but thought I would get roasted because the cranks are not perfectly straight

I think it looks way better without the HED logos.

As far as the Ridley logo on the down tube I was thinking of experimenting with some waterslide decals by printing the Ridley logo on the waterslide and seeing if I can change the color of the logo. The Red is just a tad bit bright and I think it takes away from the look I am going for.

I can make Red the prominent accent but that would be way too easy and I like the Challenge of the throwback look on a more modern bike..

Was actually looking at getting a leather saddle to match saddle, bars & wheels. That would look sexy.
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 07-03-21, 05:15 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
seat rails would be better in red.
Old 07-03-21, 05:24 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
The pic with the Pirellis was taken @riffe Lake. It's one of my regular routes going up Hwy 12 in Lewis County.

The other Pic with the GP5000s was on the road up to Mt.Saint Helens during the "Tour De Blast" ride 2 weekends ago.

It is pretty out here in WA State. The climbs never get old.
The climbs might not get old but I do or have! I climbed it before it erupted and telemark skied it after it erupted. I heard it go off when I was northeast of Granite Falls, WA
Old 07-03-21, 05:27 PM
kahn

I think I just puked up in my mouth a little...
Don't like rhubarb?

I can let you have my plum cardamom upsidedown coffee cake recipe (g)
Both the plums and rhubarb, homegrown (g)

Last edited by kahn; 07-03-21 at 05:30 PM.
Likes For kahn:
Old 07-03-21, 07:24 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 1,036 Posts
As far as the Ridley logo on the down tube I was thinking of experimenting with some waterslide decals by printing the Ridley logo on the waterslide and seeing if I can change the color of the logo. The Red is just a tad bit bright and I think it takes away from the look I am going for.

I can make Red the prominent accent but that would be way too easy and I like the Challenge of the throwback look on a more modern bike..

Was actually looking at getting a leather saddle to match saddle, bars & wheels. That would look sexy.
That sounds cool to me.

You could probably get a vinyl shop to laser cut the Ridley logo for you; something like a satin or matte copper/brown would probably look sweet in your color scheme.
Old 07-03-21, 07:42 PM
kahn

After seeing the wheels without the logo, they look too plain and they lack pizazz. But everyone has different taste.
Old 07-03-21, 08:09 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
The pic with the Pirellis was taken @riffe Lake. It's one of my regular routes going up Hwy 12 in Lewis County.

The other Pic with the GP5000s was on the road up to Mt.Saint Helens during the "Tour De Blast" ride 2 weekends ago.

It is pretty out here in WA State. The climbs never get old.
Ah thanks. Great scenery!

I’m over in eastern Washington and I love this state too.
Old 07-03-21, 11:58 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by kahn
Don't like rhubarb?

I can let you have my plum cardamom upsidedown coffee cake recipe (g)
Both the plums and rhubarb, homegrown (g)
I love that Bike Forums is soooo much more than cycling..

It's not the Rhubarb that would make me sick it's that Serfas Woven handlebar tape.

I would Love some Plum Cardamom Upside Down Coffee Cake! Would probably make a great ride snack.
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 07-04-21, 04:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts

Actually this is a better pic with less going on in the background but thought I would get roasted because the cranks are not perfectly straight

I think your saddle bag is making a mockery of the aero seat post. I would ditch it and move the Varia to the top of the post where it belongs.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-04-21, 05:33 AM
PeteHski

I've noticed a few of the pro teams are matching the front of their frame/fork colour with bar tape e.g. Bianchi celeste, Merida orange. They both look pretty good, especially the Merida. Matching the Ridley logo might give a similar effect, although I noted that you don't like red bar tape. How about matching the lighter grey highlight on your headtube? I think that would look pretty slick actually, flowing from the headtube into your drops. You could even go for a bi-colour fade grey-black.
Old 07-04-21, 09:16 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
SupaCaz Black Super Sticky Kush with red fade would look cool. The red fade would blend in to the red Ridley really nicely I should think. Let the tires stand alone. BTW, I run Pirelli P-Zero's also but mine are black.

I like my Brooks leather tape a lot but I've been running Supacaz Kush tape for a couple of years now and it's plain awesome...and comes with cool aluminum end caps.

Last edited by drlogik; 07-04-21 at 09:20 AM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 07-04-21, 05:49 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've noticed a few of the pro teams are matching the front of their frame/fork colour with bar tape e.g. Bianchi celeste, Merida orange. They both look pretty good, especially the Merida. Matching the Ridley logo might give a similar effect, although I noted that you don't like red bar tape. How about matching the lighter grey highlight on your headtube? I think that would look pretty slick actually, flowing from the headtube into your drops. You could even go for a bi-colour fade grey-black.
I've got a set of Deda Presa tape with the red. I'll probably throw that on foe the next tape change. I also liked the Ciclovation Magma tape @chaadster posted earlier in the thread. Not averse to red. Just trying to make the throwback work.

If I could find a gray to match I would try a black that fades to gray. But then I'd have to start another post trying to find the right color gray.

And I'd have to start looking for graywalled tires
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 07-04-21, 05:52 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think your saddle bag is making a mockery of the aero seat post. I would ditch it and move the Varia to the top of the post where it belongs.
I agree. I threw this saddle on last minute because the Selle Italia saddle was causing me some issues. And that bag had a mount already on the saddle and I didn't feel like messing with it.

I've got a new saddle coming this week and hopefully I can get a low profile spare tire kit to fit up under under clean up the rear end a bit.
Old 07-04-21, 07:11 PM
kahn

I've got a set of Deda Presa tape with the red. I'll probably throw that on foe the next tape change. I also liked the Ciclovation Magma tape @chaadster posted earlier in the thread. Not averse to red. Just trying to make the throwback work.

If I could find a gray to match I would try a black that fades to gray. But then I'd have to start another post trying to find the right color gray.

You sound much like my friend. Every time I find art I like she asks what it will go with - Damn - it's ART!
Old 07-04-21, 08:53 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts

If you are getting a leather saddle it has to be a Brooks B17. Most comfortable seat I ever had. Iconic style. https://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Saddle...54777323&psc=1
Old 07-04-21, 11:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Boooooooooooring
Yeah, I have bright orange bar tape which matches my hubs.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-05-21, 06:23 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I would match the tape to the big Ridley logo. Its the most prominent thing on the bike, then the tires don't matter. I used to have Gatorskins on my bike, which matched the bike's yellow graphics. I never have found a correct yellow tape, but its not that big of a deal. The GP5000s I have on now no longer have the big yellow graphics.
Old 07-05-21, 10:24 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 92 Posts
It looks like you bought the Continental GP5000 in tan. Maybe you should have bought the GP5000 Transparent color. That brown sidewall would have matched your bar tape better, but the transparent color is the most expensive of all the colors.
Old 07-05-21, 11:01 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by momoman
It looks like you bought the Continental GP5000 in tan. Maybe you should have bought the GP5000 Transparent color. That brown sidewall would have matched your bar tape better, but the transparent color is the most expensive of all the colors.
Easier said than done. These days you gotta take what's available. The Pirellis I had were bunk and I needed the tires to do a ride by the weekend. The GP5ks with the tan were on sale for 45$ each so it was a no brainer and I had them in time for the weekend ride.

If the Pirellis were not so far out of true I would have kept them and rode them but the were so bad they were rubbing against the frame.. I even had my wheels looked at by my LBM and he said the wheels were dead on and it was the tires that were the problem.

I'm just really surprised with the plethora of colored bar tapes available on the market that there is no "natural" leather tape to math these GP's.
Old 07-05-21, 11:17 PM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I would match the tape to the big Ridley logo. Its the most prominent thing on the bike, then the tires don't matter. I used to have Gatorskins on my bike, which matched the bike's yellow graphics. I never have found a correct yellow tape, but its not that big of a deal. The GP5000s I have on now no longer have the big yellow graphics.
You got tons of yellow going on there on that bike. And your bar tape does not match.
Haha 😉 It's driving me crazy. You need to find a matching bar tape.

There are 2 things that currently stand out on my Noah. The Ridley logo in red, and the mismatch of the bar tape and tan wheels. If the Pirellis I had worked out it would be a non issue and I could pick up the red in other places. (Like a leather saddle with red carbon rails, that would be sick) But the Pirellis did not work out and I just thought it would be a pretty easy quick fix to get a natural leather bar tape to match the GP5ks for 30$ or so until I sort the Pirellis out.

I'll keep looking. I'm certain if Pirelli replaces the tires that the day I get them back and put them on the bike that there will be a perfectly matching bar tape that cones out the day after.
Old 07-06-21, 04:33 AM
PeteHski

Fizik do a grey/black fade that might look stylish on that bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.