Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ok to rotate double rail saddle seatpost clamp 180 degrees for offset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 03:53 AM
brokewheelspoke

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

So on these old-style double-rail saddles, is it OK to flip the seatpost clamp 180 degrees so that it's toward the front of the saddle, effectively creating an offset seatpost so the saddle can be positioned further from the handlebars?
Old 09-04-23, 04:25 AM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
In my own experience it has not held up, the clamp is not design for the extra leverage caused by the offset.

I'm not an extreme rider, less than 200 lbs and not more than 4k miles per year.

SR-mte 100 has been a viable solution so far for me. But is no longer available new ,so either no demand or too many failures.

Old 09-04-23, 05:58 AM
brokewheelspoke

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
That post looks like it's just for single rail saddles. From what I've been told, I'm only supposed to use these pilar-style seat posts with a double rail saddle:

https://www.smittyzcyclez.com/alloy-...-no-clamp.html
Old 09-04-23, 07:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,328 Posts
The clamp is generally reversed from the image's. When using a traditional single rail post and only clamping on one of the two side rails of these saddles can result in that rail breaking. Back in the 1980s there was a commercially available adapter block and longer bolt kit. The block had two sets of grooves that engage the rails and site between the two side rails. The rest of the post's clamp sandwiches the rail/block assembly and the longer bolt replaces the OEM one. here's a bad photo of it. Andy
Old 09-04-23, 10:32 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 1,606 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by brokewheelspoke
That post looks like it's just for single rail saddles. From what I've been told, I'm only supposed to use these pilar-style seat posts with a double rail saddle:

https://www.smittyzcyclez.com/alloy-...-no-clamp.html
Yeah, hevysrf's seat post is not going to work.

In answer to your question: Yes, flip the clamp.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-04-23, 11:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The clamp is generally reversed from the image's. When using a traditional single rail post and only clamping on one of the two side rails of these saddles can result in that rail breaking. Back in the 1980s there was a commercially available adapter block and longer bolt kit. The block had two sets of grooves that engage the rails and site between the two side rails. The rest of the post's clamp sandwiches the rail/block assembly and the longer bolt replaces the OEM one. here's a bad photo of it. Andy
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/...aptor/?geoc=US
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-04-23, 01:32 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
i first flipped one of those seat clamps back in the 1960's... i then rode that Lygie Road bike for thousands of miles until it was stolen.

no problems have been noted when those multi-part clamps get flipped.

tip: slip the two inner rail plates in place, then slip the post clamp in between them.

Likes For maddog34:
Old 09-04-23, 06:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked 2,664 Times in 1,482 Posts
Yes, it's designed to work either way.

In fact, IF I recall correctly, the post is normally forward of the clamp bolt, which is what you seem to want.

The critical issue is where your center of ass (so to speak) is. Ideally, you want to be centered close to the bolt. Otherwise, there's a torque that may exceed the knurl's holding power and cause slippage.
Likes For FBinNY: