Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Charlie's Shed - Parts and tools

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 04:08 PM
GCBM

Bikes: Primary bike - late 70's gold ALAN Competition; mostly Campy with Huret Jubilee deraiileurs;When I joined that was my primary. Now back to my 1979/80 Shogun 600 since I can change everything and not feel like I'm committing sacrilege...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 54 Posts

I started posting here originally because I saw something regarding Harding's bikes. I used to work with Charlie and still visited with him until his recent passing. I now have access to what he stored away from his shop and what was in the shop when he decided to close. I have posted a couple things in different threads but now that I am working my way through his stash I thought it might be fun to post pictures of the stash in Charlie's Shed. Hopefully things folks might enjoy seeing from their past or first time from the past. It will include parts I know, parts I don't, tools and boy did he have a trove of old tools. I will repost a couple things already up elsewhere - that probably should be in a specific thread like this. Hopefully - enjoy!

Bob Shoemaker? Owner or maker?
Old 04-24-24, 04:21 PM
GCBM

Bikes: Primary bike - late 70's gold ALAN Competition; mostly Campy with Huret Jubilee deraiileurs;When I joined that was my primary. Now back to my 1979/80 Shogun 600 since I can change everything and not feel like I'm committing sacrilege...

HTK Wheel Truing Stand - Tanaka Tool Co.

with pointed plugs for hollow axle? Intended for motorcycles but can fit bicycle wheels... yes, needs cleaning
Old 04-24-24, 04:30 PM
GCBM

Gonfleur L. D. C. - early CO2?

I still have to break lose the right cap to see what inside, if anything, besides the rubber washer
Old 04-24-24, 04:37 PM
GCBM

Columbia Step Through Shaft Drive

I believe Columbia but I could easily be wrong - not my era at all
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-24-24, 04:42 PM
GCBM

A Dudley MFG Co. Wheel Truing stand

And there is a second, same design except without the AD cutout... different run? knock-off?
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-24-24, 04:47 PM
GCBM

B/4 Charlie - Ed Lynch

for the folk who knew Westwood way back
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-24-24, 04:56 PM
GCBM

Rollfast Perfect Spoke Wrench... not as ancient as one might think

Park SW-10 copied this - newfangled $%^#&*%$ lol
Old 04-24-24, 04:58 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 804 Times in 414 Posts
Great stuff, keep it coming!
Old 04-24-24, 05:03 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 2,165 Times in 559 Posts
Great stuff. Can you tell us more about Charlie Harding? I see some references in a number of old threads about an Irish immigrant who set up a bike shop in the Los Angeles area (which is where I see you are located) along with some connection to Holdsworth. Hopefully, you can share more first-hand details about the man.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 04-24-24, 10:05 PM
GCBM

I drafted a very long comprehensive reply about Charlie that when I tried to post, received the message that I had to refresh - I didn't save my draft elsewhere and it was lost when I refreshed. I will rewrite later. Short version: Born in Ireland, older brother George started the bike business and did originally make custom frames (a couple web pages mention George and his history). Charlie left Ireland and stopped first with "a" brother in Canada before coming to SoCal. Worked for Hans Ohrt before taking over "Lynch Westwood Cyclery". Westwood shop went gangbusters during the oil/gas crunch late 60's - 70's with sale of "English Racers". It funded Ireland expansion (they had shops in Cork and Dublin) and the start of a factory. Charlie's representation to me was George gave specs to Holdsworth for Harding's frame sets - but sharp eyes later noted that the Holdsworth Mistral was at least one model whose design and paint scheme matched Hardings. As I may have mentioned elsewhere, I wasn't there to ask if George gave Holdsworth his specs for the frames he was already making and Holdsworth was able to use for their own lines OR, George later ordered Holdsworth stock frames to keep up with sales. Charlie went back to Ireland and Europe yearly for the big bike shows and seemed to have relationships with the major European parts and line distributors because we could always seem to get limited availability parts etc - either direct or through the Irish shops. By the time I was there (40+ years ago) we were often a shop of last resort if you needed high end repair components -because of the stock/stash I'm going through now. Charlie was one of the most knowledgeable bike mechanics I've ever met. To many he seemed a curmudgeon - and he could be. But he was also at times the kindest man I ever met. Like the time I mounted an SLX fame in our Eldi stand by the seat tube - not the post and crimped it. Thought I was dead. Charlie sent it off to Masi California for frame repair and repaint - his comment to me was along the lines of - "now you know."
As people ask me or mention things bits come back. But that is my shortened version for now lol.
Old 04-24-24, 10:55 PM
GCBM

Hataya Tool Co. Circular spoke wrench -just one I hadn't seen

When I said I have a Japanese one...
Just for fun
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-24-24, 11:04 PM
GCBM

Originally Posted by GCBM

I still have to break lose the right cap to see what inside, if anything, besides the rubber washer
found a site referencing the Gonfleur (Classic Lightweights: Pennine CO2) as a nitrogen tank that had to be sent back for refill - and showing a photo of a different tank (Milremo) in the cage in my picture, and referencing that cage as having been sold with or for the Milremo tank by Ron Kitching
Old 04-25-24, 04:04 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 842 Posts
I was a UCLA student from 1968 through 1978, and C. Harding's For Bikes was one of my go-to shops during that period. I lost contact with him when I moved to San Diego County in 1981, but one of my friends still owns the Harding road bike she bought there in the late 1970s. (That's how she met her husband, who was working at the shop at the time. ) My own wife is of mostly Irish and Scots-Irish descent, so there is a bit of a kinship with Charlie there. Yes, the guy really knew his stuff! I still remember the curly-stay Hetchins bikes on the upper racks near one front window, and the 90-speed bike on an upper rack near the other front window, as well as the obligatory Regina and SunTour cog boards, from back in the day when many of us were into "gear phreaking/tweaking."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-25-24, 09:04 PM
GCBM

Simplex "Competition" Front Derailleur 1960-61?

Weren't expecting a 1960-61ish NOS unboxing? And yes I have a "carter de chaine" referenced on the paperwork in the later images

there should be about 8 of these that showed up on the market after November 2023 - because other than my two they disappeared from the shed

FYI: Breveté SGDG was a French type of patent that ceased to exist in 1968. The name was a common abbreviation for "Breveté Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement“ (patent without government guarantees).

Last edited by GCBM; 04-26-24 at 01:48 PM. Reason: add explanatory note
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-25-24, 09:37 PM
GCBM

I have some Harding decals if her decals are messed up..
Old 04-25-24, 09:44 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 793 Posts
Wow!
Great thread.
Great Shed!
Old 04-25-24, 11:08 PM
GCBM

Simplex Juy 543

Couldn't bring myself to open the sealed package...but I have more

Oh yeah, replacement parts...
Old 04-26-24, 06:45 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 2,202 Times in 965 Posts
Any freewheels in Charlie's Shed?

What would the gear range be on a Juy 543? My guess is it would be tight with maybe a 24T max.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-26-24, 08:30 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 188 Posts
i've owned a bunch of those Simplex rod front derailleurs but have never seen a NOS one brand new in the box. Very cool find!
Old 04-26-24, 09:06 AM
GCBM

Yes, freewheels lol. NOS Regina and I think I saw a couple Everest along with NOS chains. There are also a couple of boxes of used because we could always scavenge a body or the rings for somebody else. But like my garage, we kept more parts than we ever used... but someday someone might come knocking for that one body...
Old 04-26-24, 12:24 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 2,555 Times in 1,067 Posts
Originally Posted by GCBM

I believe Columbia but I could easily be wrong - not my era at all
That seat looks a mite uncomfortable . . . .
Old 04-26-24, 10:49 PM
GCBM

Freewheels - exemplars, and I still have two boxes of used to check

Simplex

Regina corncobs 13-17
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-26-24, 10:53 PM
GCBM

Another unboxing - Campagnolo Record Brakes

the hoods - shot, the pads??? grind the surface and see?

tools not included - just within reach to anchor
Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-26-24, 10:54 PM
GCBM

A headset or two...

Likes For GCBM:
Old 04-26-24, 10:59 PM
GCBM

Unboxing Campagnolo Gran Sport

Although "unboxing" used loosely as the boxes are so old they start separating at seams upon handling...

no teeth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.