Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Boardman Bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Boardman Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 01:05 PM
minatauro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boardman Bikes

Hello....Long story short....I crashed my Secialized SL3 broke the forks and top tube. I am thinking about getting a Boardman bike because it is affordable, Wiggle has the one I want for $1800 frameset. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes good or bad? I would really like to hear comments or opinions on these. I am interested in the AIR/9.8. I know most of you arent going to like the decals but at this point im more interested in how the bike rides and holds up. Thanks in advance.

This is the bike I Like.
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/air98.html
Old 09-23-11, 01:49 PM
Jaymadd

Bikes: 2011 Boardman Team Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi minatauro,

I think there may be only a couple of us on bikeforums with Boardmans. I just got mine last month and don't have a ton of miles on it yet but I have been very pleased. The AIR/9.8 is a few steps up from mine so I can't comment on that one specifically. My Team Carbon, appears to be very similar with the integrated cable routing and color scheme. And like someone else said in an earlier thread, "If they are good enough for a pro cycling team". United Healthcare uses AIR/9.8's.
Old 09-23-11, 05:16 PM
minatauro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info jaymadd. Did you order from Wiggle? How was it dealing with them? Anyone else have any comments about the bikes?
Old 09-23-11, 06:16 PM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They interviewed Chris [?] Boardman in a recent issue of RBA for the Tour of California. They only sell these on Wiggle? I figured if they were going to be used in a Cali/USA race, they would be available around here in the States.
Old 09-23-11, 06:27 PM
dayday82

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0. 2006 Iron Horse Azure Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to have the Boardman AiR 9.8
Old 09-23-11, 06:56 PM
Jaymadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minatauro
Thanks for the info jaymadd. Did you order from Wiggle? How was it dealing with them? Anyone else have any comments about the bikes?
Yes, I got it from Wiggle. They were good to work with. I had one small issue with the brakes, they come standard with the front brake on the right. They were supposed to have swapped them around prior to shipping but did not. I'm actually thinking that I like it better with the front on the right now and I'm going to keep it that way. Wiggle offered to pay for a LBS to switch them around if I wanted which was nice. I also didnt read the fine print about the international shipping which was my fault and got hit with a duty tax of about $170. Even with the additional tax I'm very happy with the bike.
Old 09-24-11, 06:05 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whats not to like about this rig. Absolute beauty. Good Luck!
Old 09-24-11, 07:30 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I talked to a guy during a road race a few weeks ago on a Boardman AiR 9.4. He really liked it.

I personally have looked into purchasing a AiR 9.8. The only two bikes I would consider are the Air 9.8 or SLR 9.8. If you want slightly heavier and aero, the AiR 9.8 would be great, and the SLR for climbing/stiffness.

Wiggle is the "official" US dealer, but Echelon cycles is also able to ship to the US, since Wiggle didn't have it in stock, Echelon had permission to ship one to me from Boardman. So Boardman appears motivated to sell bikes and get into the US market in the next year from what Chris Boardman has stated in recent interviews.

I was quoted 190 GBP shipping by Echelon for the frame. Forgot I didn't specify, I was buying only a frameset.

I decided since shipping was so steep, and if any problems, it means shipping it back to the UK, to go with a US company instead.

Good luck. The guy at Echelon was very nice and responsive to emails. Go to the Buy part of the Boardman website to find the link.

Last edited by zigmeister; 09-24-11 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-24-11, 07:42 AM
minatauro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zigmeister.....good info ...Thanks, I agree the only two bikes I would consider is the AIR/SLR 9.8, not that there is anything wrong with their other bikes. But on the Boardman website the picture they show of the SLR is not an integrated seatpost but in the description it states that the SLR does have an integrated seatpost? Wiggle shows the same (PIC and decsript different). Any idea which the SLR comes with integrated or not? Im not too crazy about the integrated seatpost....the only reason I was leaning towards the AIR 9.8.
Old 09-24-11, 07:59 AM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by minatauro
zigmeister.....good info ...Thanks, I agree the only two bikes I would consider is the AIR/SLR 9.8, not that there is anything wrong with their other bikes. But on the Boardman website the picture they show of the SLR is not an integrated seatpost but in the description it states that the SLR does have an integrated seatpost? Wiggle shows the same (PIC and decsript different). Any idea which the SLR comes with integrated or not? Im not too crazy about the integrated seatpost....the only reason I was leaning towards the AIR 9.8.
Yes, the SLR is integrated...I don't care for that design either. I personally was looking to buy the AiR 9.8. If it is good enough for some of the top sprinters and climbers in the World, should be good enough for us. Not sure why the frameset in the photo on the site shows it with a normal seat collar, then the real full equipped bike shows the integrated?? The descriptions are confusing also. Email the guy at Echelon or Wiggle, they can confirm.
Old 09-24-11, 10:11 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jaymadd
Hi minatauro,

I think there may be only a couple of us on bikeforums with Boardmans. I just got mine last month and don't have a ton of miles on it yet but I have been very pleased. The AIR/9.8 is a few steps up from mine so I can't comment on that one specifically. My Team Carbon, appears to be very similar with the integrated cable routing and color scheme. And like someone else said in an earlier thread, "If they are good enough for a pro cycling team". United Healthcare uses AIR/9.8's.
Guilty as charged.
Old 09-28-11, 11:09 AM
Jaymadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New article regarding Boardman bikes and United Healthcare.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...slr-9-8t-elite

"A fast, punchy rider, Jonny Clarke says he chose the Boardman SLR (super light road) rather than the AiR (aero road) frame because he prefers a conventional seat post with some give in the seat mast, particularly for the early season Belgian races."
Old 09-28-11, 01:05 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jaymadd
New article regarding Boardman bikes and United Healthcare.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...slr-9-8t-elite

"A fast, punchy rider, Jonny Clarke says he chose the Boardman SLR (super light road) rather than the AiR (aero road) frame because he prefers a conventional seat post with some give in the seat mast, particularly for the early season Belgian races."

There you go, conventional seat post.
Old 09-28-11, 08:09 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PRO Cycling Magazine just had an article/review on it that was very positive. They tend to be very positive on most bikes though.
Old 09-28-11, 09:01 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pictures people, pictures!
Old 10-12-11, 10:24 PM
Dfarlow
Flintstone In Training

Bikes: 2021 Fuji Track Elite; 2015 Cipollini RB800; 2014 Specialized S-Works SL4 Ltd; 2013 Firefly Ti

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been admiring the new Boardman Elite Series bikes, notably the Air 9.4. Wiggle seems to rep for US sales, but disappointing that the 9.4 only seems to be sold as complete bike, not frame only. Wonder if that's the same in the UK or if there are other options, even if purchasing internationally. Any ideas?
Old 10-12-11, 10:59 PM
dayday82

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0. 2006 Iron Horse Azure Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pics!
Old 10-13-11, 06:00 AM
Dfarlow
Flintstone In Training

Bikes: 2021 Fuji Track Elite; 2015 Cipollini RB800; 2014 Specialized S-Works SL4 Ltd; 2013 Firefly Ti

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post