Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Big Guy from Southern California

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 09:25 AM
Big Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all. I am 49 years old, and am just getting serious about my health. 6 weeks ago I decided to diet and exercicse. I would like to get back into biking for exercise, because my knees just cant take running or walking. I am looking for a new bike that is comfrtable and will work with my size. 6'5" and 300+ lbs. Any suggestions would be appresiated. Thanks so much.
Old 04-17-10, 10:04 AM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't help much with bike choice, but can recommend that you visit a local quality bike shop and ask what they recommend. The extra cost over a bargain (i.e. WalMart) bike will give you better components, especially the gear shifting system and fewer headaches down the road! Welcome to the forum too!!
Old 04-17-10, 10:23 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome! Go over to the Clydesdale & Athena forum. They are very supportive and inspiring, and it will be the best place to get your questions answered.
Old 04-18-10, 12:12 PM
ChrisA

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - I'm about as far from being an expert as you'll find here, but being 6'5" and almost 250lbs, I can appreciate where you're at. I gave up on jogging several years ago due to ankle and knee strain, and the weight started piling on. This month, I made the same decision as you. I decided to buy a hybrid bike after reading up on some posts here and elsewhere. I found a 25" Trek 7.3 FX which seemed like a great starting point for me: it's a bit more upright than a road bike, a heck of a lot cheaper (mine was $550), and is rated for riders of up to 300 lbs. If you're much over that, you may want to shop around - there are lots of options out there.

IMO, the most important thing is to make sure you get a bike that fits you well... proper sizing is critical for comfort and safety (including limiting stress on your knees). Look though the "Clydesdale" forum here - lots of good info from and for big guys like us
Old 04-18-10, 01:38 PM
burningredphoen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is the bike i bought at target...they still have it....its a schwinn trailway hybrid for about 270$ and so far its the best bike ive ever had....im also in the same situation as you except 5'11 220 lbs so i think the BMI is about the same......try this bike out if you cant afford the trek...this bike seems to have very good components except make sure to go over it after buying it because people at target dont really know how to put a bike together.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...sporting-goods