Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Kickr + Campagnolo 9 speed

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 05:54 PM
darobsta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!
I am looking for some advice on how to get my old bike working on a Wahoo Kickr v5 (2020) . It's a old road bike with quick release wheels and Campagnolo 9 speed veloce. It seems that my Campagnolo 9 speed veloce is the main issue as Kickr comes with Shimano 11 speed..

Wahoo support told me that I could just use a Wahoo Campag freehub - :-

uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/accessories/campagnolo-freehub-for-kickr-power-trainer

But looking at the link
It looks like the campag freehub for Kickr 2020 edition ONLY supports Campagnolo 10, 11 and 12 speed cassettes. I have asked for clarification on that as the older campag freehub (for older Kickrs) claims support for 8,9,10 speed Campy. Havent heard back from them yet. :-( What could have changed between these freehubs? This is all very confusing.

Also.. my understanding is that I could also buy a Campagnolo Chorus or Record 9 speed cassette and use that instead of the veloce - as I think the veloce has a different "spline" ? Does that help in any way?

Hope someone can help!
Old 01-09-21, 09:34 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
the difference in pitch between a Campy cassette and a Shimano cassette is .2mm for 9sp. You could take a Shimano cassette and insert spacers cut from .2mm polystyrene (overhead projector sheets if you remember those) wherever there are loose sprockets. You'll get close enough that you won't have issues. You then use the 1mm spacer on the spoke side of the freehub and everything should line up pretty closely but since you already now have .2mm sheets you can add spacers to the back so that the smallest cog lines up exactly with where it does on your wheel. You'll then be able to swap back and forth without having to adjust. The spacing won't be perfect with all the gears because the cogs are sometimes bolted together and you can't add space between them. Don't worry, it'll be fine.

Also be aware that on the trainer you don't need it to be absolutely perfect the way it should be on a wheel. Shifting is much easier on the trainer since you are stationary. And with a smart trainer in ERG mode you don't need to shift at all. I usually just pick the quietest gear in the middle when I use ERG mode. Dead silent mostly.

If you are interested in doing this and can't find sheets let me know, I still have a lot left over from when I did mine 2-3 years ago, except mine was 10sp. It is still quiet and shifts perfectly,

Here's my thread on it when I tried to do it: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...mpy-rider.html. There's a wikipedia link in it somewhere with a chart about thread pitch where you'll see the difference between Campy and Shimano cassettes.

Last edited by zacster; 01-09-21 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-10-21, 10:29 AM
darobsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for your response. I read your thread and like yourself it would be ideal if I could get it right at the cassette - so I can run the bike as normal when summer comes.

Sounds like a good idea to modify a cassette with OHP sheets - yes I am old enough to remember those! I am in the UK so will hunt them down this side of the pond - but thanks for the kind offer.

So - to try this out I need to get a basic shimano 9 speed cassette. I am also looking at the Tacx Neo 2T so I am looking for something that would fit on that as well as the Kickr v5 (2020). I will start my research on this, but this is yet another minefield so if you have any recommendations it would be appreciated!
Old 01-21-22, 06:46 AM
Martin123ist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late to the party, but in the same boat

How did this work out for you? I've got a bike with a campy super record 9spd. And looking at bike trainers; the kickr v5 looks like the best one for me. Was hoping this workaround was working for you so I could do the same
Old 01-21-22, 07:20 AM
darobsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Martin123ist
How did this work out for you? I've got a bike with a campy super record 9spd. And looking at bike trainers; the kickr v5 looks like the best one for me. Was hoping this workaround was working for you so I could do the same
Hi,

Kick never got back to me with a satisfactory definitive yes or no as to whether a Campag 9 speed cassette would work on their freehubs.

I bought the Tacx Neo 2T in the end. Initially I spaced out and installed a shimano 9 speed cassette I bought, but this did not turn out well.. maybe because I did a bad job (I don't think I did a bad job, tbh) or maybe because not all sprockets can be spaced as some are bolted to each other and some are not, or maybe some other reason. The result was slight grinding and ticking in some gears. This made it fairly unusable for Zwift in SIM mode as I could really use all the gears. ERG was fine so I did workouts while I waited for a Campag freehub to arrive for my Neo 2T. When the freehub arrived I installed it and installed a Campag Chorus 9 speed cassette on that. Everyone worked perfectly from there on in. I do not use the bike IRL, just on the trainer BTW.

Also, relevant to you - I am not sure if the Campag Super Record 9 speed has the same spacing as the Chorus 9 speed .. and also I am not sure if it has the right splines to go on to the freehubs for the trainers.

If you can get a definitive answer from Wahoo about Kickr compat specifically with your gear, then the Kickr should work for you. Looks like the Neo 2T could also work for you with the right freehub.