Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help needed with vintage brakes too hard to pull

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help needed with vintage brakes too hard to pull

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 09:58 AM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
This is just me, maybe not you... If it were me, I would raise them on the bar, so I could ride on the hoods, brake from there, and still reach the lever in an emergency when in the drops. I very seldom brake when I'm in the drops. First, I'd make sure that that bar is the right bar for me and not something that makes it even more difficult for me to apply the brakes, like crit bars ... which really suck for me, maybe not you.
I almost never ride on the hoods. Somehow I never thought of riding on the hoods when I got my first road bike a very long time ago, and so I got used to only riding on the drops. When I realized this during my first touring trip, I thought it was a kinda funny. The only bike I use the hoods on is my touring bike, and the levers are extremely light and offer no resistance whatsoever (modern Shimano 105 brifters). Therefore, if I wanna brake on the hoods, the levers really have to be light on the hands. If not, I can't do it. Hope this explains the reasoning behind it.
Old 01-26-22, 05:07 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
[QUOTE=Mushrooom;22382214]I almost never ride on the hoods. Somehow I never thought of riding on the hoods when I got my first road bike a very long time ago, and so I got used to only riding on the drops.
So correct me if I am wrong but I think you can only reach the lever with your index finger.
This would be pretty normal and is how I ride.
​​​​​​Brake manufacturers would have known this.
That's why we have or had long pull levers.
​​​​​​I have switched and the difference is night and day. Nowadays riding the hoods is normal even at speed and so the brakes levers changed.
I would suggest trying some. They are cheap and if you can brake better brilliant if not its not a big loss. And quality ones look very good.
Old 01-26-22, 09:19 AM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

[QUOTE=blamester;22387476]
Originally Posted by Mushrooom
I almost never ride on the hoods. Somehow I never thought of riding on the hoods when I got my first road bike a very long time ago, and so I got used to only riding on the drops.
So correct me if I am wrong but I think you can only reach the lever with your index finger.
This would be pretty normal and is how I ride.
​​​​​​Brake manufacturers would have known this.
That's why we have or had long pull levers.
​​​​​​I have switched and the difference is night and day. Nowadays riding the hoods is normal even at speed and so the brakes levers changed.
I would suggest trying some. They are cheap and if you can brake better brilliant if not its not a big loss. And quality ones look very good.
Are you suggesting installing some modern levers?
Old 01-26-22, 02:36 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
[QUOTE=Mushrooom;22387690]
Originally Posted by blamester
Are you suggesting installing some modern levers?
​​​​​​Well basically I think you have two options.
Simplest is swap in a dual pivot and that should work better with your current lever.
Or try a long pull lever which is basically a non aero lever with you current caliper.
You have a short pull lever and long pull caliper
​​​​​and as you know that doesn't work well.
​​​​​​If you don't mind tinkering try both options and see which one works best. And there will be a difference.

Last edited by blamester; 01-26-22 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For blamester:
Old 01-26-22, 02:39 PM
Mushrooom

Do you guys think there's a market for the Galli parts if I decide to go more modern and install a Shimano 600 group on this bike? I don't want to make money off the Galli parts, just make sure I can pay for the new ones.
Old 02-01-22, 02:41 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Steel Charlie, please leave this thread.

Likes For cb400bill: