Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nobody warned me..

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nobody warned me..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 06:13 PM
calRider

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sd790
I think the Red Zeppelin is what you are looking for. That's what I've been using for a while. It even has a foam-like cover so there's no issue with frozen fingers like the OP was talking about.

[IM G]https://ecom1.planetbike.com/planetbike/media/1019.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks for the link.
Old 03-19-09, 07:24 PM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
An adult man should never own anything called a "koosie".
I don't know, they keep the brewskis cold!
Old 03-19-09, 10:02 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Actually it does explain it, but you have to show before & after conditions:

PV=nRT ; we can remove nR since they'll be the same before & after if we don't leak through the seals

P1V1 = T1 and P2V2 = T2 for before & after conditions

T2 = T1(V1/V2)(P2/P1)

Unfortunate this only assumes an "ideal gas" consisting of particles with zero volume without any molecular interactions. In real life at 25c, CO2 would be a liquid in that cartridge since you can only store about it compressed up to 850psi. Above that it will start to liquidify.
The cooling is due to what's called the Joule Thompson effect, also known as isenthalpic expansion. It's explained here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule-Thomson_effect
Old 03-19-09, 10:19 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdcheung
P.S...

CO2 is a very un-green way to fill your tubes. Think of the manufacturing process...
CO2 isn't really "manufactured". It's a by-product of the combustion process (burning hydrocarbons, such as natural gas, gasoline, oil, coal, etc). It can be recovered from the combustion off-gases through a very expensive process called post-combustion capture.

CO2 is also recovered as a by-product in the production of hydrogen.

There is also naturally occurring CO2 that is "mined" with wells.

You could look at using CO2 filling up your tubes as somewhat planet friendly since it would otherwise be vented to the atmosphere.
Old 03-19-09, 11:29 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The CO2 will always eventually make it into the atmosphere. Where do you think it goes after it's released from the cartridge into your tire? The ungreen part of it is the energy it takes to fill the cartridges, and the energy and material it takes to create, distribute, and, if the rider is conscientious, collect and recycle or refill the cartridge.

Don't fool yourself into thinking you are somehow doing the environment a favor by using CO2 cartridges. There is no way it's a net good. The frame or mini pump that you keep in service for many years is the most ecological way of filling your tires on the road.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 03-19-09 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-19-09, 11:51 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RacerOne
I'm not sure you quite get it, when I pulled the thing off my glove, parts of the leather palm came off, stuck to the cartridge. If I'd have been bare handed it would have been chunks of my skin. I'm all for riding through the pain and such but I'm really not into mid ride skin grafts. I still think it had to do with the dewpoint / temp spread and the fact I was wet from the rain. (Oh and all that Physics stuff too)
BTDT, and in almost the exact same circumstances- cold, rainy day, no gloves, and ended up with white patches of skin that fortunately regained their color.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=32

Ah-ha somebody who actually read my posts! What you describe was my intention but pushing it up against the valve stem didn't cause it to release the air. The only way I could get air to flow was to pull up / down on the sprung ring. I'm going to have to practice with a few of them Friday.
I think the spring on the Air Chuck starts out a little stiff, and once you've used it a few times it loosens up a bit. Or, you just have to figure out how to hold it and how hard to push it onto the valve. Buy carts at a discount, it makes practicing a little less painful...
Old 03-20-09, 12:02 AM
EivlEvo
Look at all these buttons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure you quite get it, when I pulled the thing off my glove, parts of the leather palm came off, stuck to the cartridge. If I'd have been bare handed it would have been chunks of my skin. I'm all for riding through the pain and such but I'm really not into mid ride skin grafts. I still think it had to do with the dewpoint / temp spread and the fact I was wet from the rain. (Oh and all that Physics stuff too)
Oh no, I totally get it. Water plus cold CO2 thingy = frozenness. Even when CO2 is used and u take the cartridge out, when ur hands are dry it still feels "sticky". The kids I oversaw at "my" MTB camp loved this.

My point was that people were complaining about something that solves this problem being too bulky. Its like... what do you want? Frozen hands, or an extra ounce of weight? Changing tires isn't a fashion show.
Old 03-20-09, 06:35 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you do, don't try to lick the frost off the outside of the cartridge after refilling...!
Old 03-20-09, 09:23 AM
IbikezLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chemistry bub pressure of a gas is directly related to the temperature of the gas
Old 03-20-09, 02:52 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
Whatever you do, don't try to lick the frost off the outside of the cartridge after refilling...!
"I'm thtuck Lalthie! AAAAAaaaa...."
Old 03-20-09, 04:43 PM
gurana
Tęte de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One thing I wasn't warned about, but should've figured out on my own... for road tires, especially something like 25c or bigger, you have to put the wheel back on before inflating the tire. This was potentially a hard lesson learned the first time I had to use one out on the road. Thankfully I had an extra one on me, or I would've been SOL.
Old 03-20-09, 06:47 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by gurana
One thing I wasn't warned about, but should've figured out on my own... for road tires, especially something like 25c or bigger, you have to put the wheel back on before inflating the tire. This was potentially a hard lesson learned the first time I had to use one out on the road. Thankfully I had an extra one on me, or I would've been SOL.
You are supposed to have them adjusted so the calipers can be released. Either w/ the flip lever for road calipers, or by disconnected the cable for canti's and v brakes.
Old 03-20-09, 07:06 PM
dwr1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
You want simple? You're in the wrong forum!

That was funny! Thanks for the laugh...

DWR
Old 03-20-09, 07:28 PM
merlin55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ideal gas law PV =nRT has nothing to do with the Joule-Thompson cooling effect (and no they don't make seatposts).

This is why we will be soon completely owned by other countries.

I'm in snitty mode today...
Old 03-21-09, 07:51 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the envirnonment, you're dumping 60g of CO2 into the air for every mile you drive... I'd say the CO2 in a 16g cartridge is not that significant.
Old 03-21-09, 08:09 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, and another lesson learned: make sure your valve stems are long enough.

A rear flat on the way to a group ride at o'dark-thirty is not the time to find out the tubes you bought have long enough stems to engage the CO2 chuck on the slightly shorter front rim, but are just a wee too short to engage the CO2 chuck on the slightly taller rear rim.

Sub-lesson: if the stem won't engage the chuck with the first cartridge, it's not going to work with the second, either.

Most important lesson in this particular session at flat-school: even a slow-head like me is smart enough to bring a mini-pump as a back up.