Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

TDF 2010 stage 17 - Pau - Col du Tourmalet 174 km, Thu. Jul 22

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TDF 2010 stage 17 - Pau - Col du Tourmalet 174 km, Thu. Jul 22

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 06:45 PM
OrionKhan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
FWIW my best guess is that similar to 15, Saxo will set a strong tempo in a (somewhat) vain attempt to dampen Astana's firepower, and Andy will attack shortly after the last Saxo domestique peels off. It's possible, unfortunately, that this could happen too early on the climb.

It's also possible Astana will move to the front (as they have the MJ), in which case I presume Schleck can choose a more advantageous time but will probably be alone (again).

I doubt Schleck will be able to play the same games as earlier, he needs to nab minutes if he's going to have a fighting chance in the TT. But after 2 Tours I don't think I've ever seen either one take much time out of the other -- they're evenly matched. Of course, if Andy digs too deep or lets his desire for Revenge get the better of him, it could make his TT even worse.

We'll see what happens, but my feeling is the end result will be Contador 1, Menchov 2, Schleck 3 -- especially if AC & AS play games on Thursday.
Menchov could end up goofing it up for Andy. If Menchov goes out on the attack, Andy will have to defend Menchov for sure. That could upset his plans and sap some energy that he was planning on using to isolate and attack AC.

One that that I think is vital is AC going into the TT leading. That means he gets the time checks of Andy and he rides. A big advantage. Andy, who has never ridden a great, TT will need to turn himself inside out not knowing if he's doing well enough. AC will have a gauge of exactly how hard he has to push himself. That being said, I think AC will shadow Schleck the whole way. Andy will launch a few. May even drop AC for a few meters, but won't completely shed him. AC won't attack unless he thinks he can get a few more seconds at the finish.
Old 07-21-10, 07:56 AM
roadrider63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SunSwing...LOL...thinking the same thing. AC follows 39 sec behind AS up the Tourmalet and they let the TT decide.

I'm sure that's not what will play out but it was a funny thought.

And AS will have to watch Menchov and Sanchez also.
Old 07-21-10, 08:17 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SunSwingsLow
Andy puts no time into Contador. Contador covers all attacks and gives AS the victory at the line as an apology for the chain.
What if he just stood in front of the line for 30-odd seconds and then crossed over?
Old 07-21-10, 08:31 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope both Gesink and Menchov are strong at the end. That could turn out to be the most interesting scenario. Send Gesink up the road and see if AS/AC play poker again. Would they rather have two top 10s or risk it all to give Menchov a shot at victory?

I'll really be interested to see how the teams play it. Does Saxo Bank push it hard again and leave Schleck without teammates? Could you imagine if Schleck was left alone but Contador still had Navarro?

Or does Astana kill it with Navarro again to make it harder for Schleck to attack? I think Astana should let Saxo Bank do all the work. I think it's more in Alberto's favor not to drop Sanchez & Menchov.
Old 07-21-10, 09:57 AM
mwchandler21

Bikes: T1K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing working against Andy is Jens is basically one giant road rash. Not sure how effective Jens is going to be at helping Andy. I think at this poin Jens just wants to make it to the finish.
Old 07-21-10, 11:40 AM
grkeller

Bikes: Lemond Croix de Fer; Kronan (RIP); Trek 850 Antelope; Viva Bellissimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
could RadioShack and Saxo Bank work together, in a pact where Lance goes for the stage and Andy puts time into Contador?
Old 07-21-10, 11:59 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by grkeller
could RadioShack and Saxo Bank work together, in a pact where Lance goes for the stage and Andy puts time into Contador?
dreamin...
Old 07-21-10, 12:28 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Caisse d'Epargne is going to be looking to be in a break. Euskatel will probably try to have a rider or two up the road. The KOM contenders will be out hunting points on the first two climbs. Basso might be looking for a stage. Wouldn't be surprised if Gesink puts in an attack before the last climb if the tempo isn't high enough to discourage it. I think there will be chaos, and not enough cameras on the stage to show all the pieces when they get to the final climb.

Last edited by USAZorro; 07-21-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 12:48 PM
SunSwingsLow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think rabbobank has been saving it up for today. They wanna get Menchov into 2nd in Paris. Another 45 seconds and I think DM runs him down in the TT.
Old 07-21-10, 01:47 PM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think a break has any kind of reasonable chance to succeed on this stage.
Old 07-21-10, 03:07 PM
Polka Dot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering his great ride in the last stage, my guess is that Van Den Broeck will attack in the beginning of the last climb to secure a podium position. They could put Aerts to pull the punch appart to set the stage for VDB.
Old 07-21-10, 03:13 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by rogwilco
I don't think a break has any kind of reasonable chance to succeed on this stage.
I don't think so either, but there will be plenty of attempts, and several good reasons for teams to put a rider up front before the final climb.
Old 07-21-10, 03:14 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grkeller
Old 07-21-10, 03:38 PM
TommyL
convert

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think rabbobank has been saving it up for today. They wanna get Menchov into 2nd in Paris. Another 45 seconds and I think DM runs him down in the TT.
+1. Menchov for the stage win.
Old 07-21-10, 04:21 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My prediction is that none of the top 5 will win it. Also, I am almost certain that AC will win the tour without winning a single stage this year. I know it would be fine by me if I was in his shoes. Furthermore, if I was AC, I would not do the tour next year and try to win both, the Giro and the Vuelta instead. Make a bit more history as he is not likely to match 7 tours.
Old 07-21-10, 05:25 PM
SunSwingsLow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Furthermore, if I was AC, I would not do the tour next year and try to win both, the Giro and the Vuelta instead. Make a bit more history as he is not likely to match 7 tours.
What?

yeah, those multi-time winners are alomst never talked about.

Hes in line right now for #3 and hes still getting stronger. Another 2-4 is completely possible. So a 5-7 time winner of the TdF and you think winning the Vuelta would give him more of a place in history?
Old 07-21-10, 05:58 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What?

yeah, those multi-time winners are alomst never talked about.

Hes in line right now for #3 and hes still getting stronger. Another 2-4 is completely possible. So a 5-7 time winner of the TdF and you think winning the Vuelta would give him more of a place in history?
You misunderstood what I said. He is likely to win 3-5 of them. Sure. Completely possible. In this day and age, I seriously doubt he will win more than 5 despite of how good he is, which will simply put him way up there with the other 5 tour winers. Rightfully so, a huge accomplishment in itself, but just one more of many 5 tour winners. Very few successful tour champs go and also win Giros and Vueltas, and even less both in one year. Skipping the Tour for one year and accomplishing the other two again before coming back to claim the tour once more would put him in a page in history that few, if any, have written. Sure, I know the tour cannot be compared to the giro or vuelta in statue, but both wins combined in the same year is a completely different story. Look where it put Contador when he just that and came back to win the tour the year after he (astana team) was not in the Tour.
Old 07-21-10, 06:28 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure that AC will want to win the tour without winning a stage, but I suspect he will bide his time and that USAZorro's description will be apt.

There are big reasons for going in a break, apart from trying for an unlikely stage win. E.g. Charteau, Cunego and Moreau all have in interest in the polka dots. I expect the first climb will be extra fast.
Old 07-21-10, 07:05 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a good stage for menchov, or contador...
As much as I like AS i don't think he's as strong as Contador in the mountains...AC has more experience.
I wonder if basso will even start, he's ailing with bronchitis. Otherwise, this would be a good stage for him as well.
Old 07-21-10, 07:10 PM
SunSwingsLow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Rightfully so, a huge accomplishment in itself, but just one more of many 5 tour winners.
define "many"?
Old 07-21-10, 08:38 PM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by acorn_user
I expect the first climb will be extra fast.
+1
Even messier than the beginning of Stage 16. So many teams have different interests in the last mountain stage.
Old 07-21-10, 09:09 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
I wonder if Thor will try to get into an early break and whether he can hang with the climbers on the first few hills to try and get some more points. He's admitted that due to his arm injury earlier in the year he has lost some of his sprint speed, but that his climbing has improved.

I would expect Saxobank and Astana to drill it onto the bottom of the Tourmalet to try and burn off all the other GC contendors.
Old 07-21-10, 09:32 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by gnome
I wonder if Thor will try to get into an early break and whether he can hang with the climbers on the first few hills to try and get some more points. He's admitted that due to his arm injury earlier in the year he has lost some of his sprint speed, but that his climbing has improved.

I would expect Saxobank and Astana to drill it onto the bottom of the Tourmalet to try and burn off all the other GC contendors.
I give Thor a good shot at contesting the first sprint point, and a snowball's chance on the second.
Old 07-21-10, 09:45 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I'm rooting for Andy to do something really special.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-21-10, 11:41 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone needs to lead Andy at least part way up the hill, Saxo Bank blows up way too early. I expect an insane pace from both leaders teams to try to tire the other. Unless Andy can do a real break, meaning not from the front, I don't see him having much of a chance erasing the time. He'd have to hope AC gets tired and that ain't easy. Going to rock tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.