Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Et Tu George?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Et Tu George?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 08:55 PM
Taqi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
So were the 190+ guys he beat each year repeatedly 7 years straight in France. How many different doping cyclists did he beat in that race over the years? 500+? What's your point?

That's a rhetorical question of course, I realize that you don't have one.

As for anyone who questions Livestrong, this is a guy who could have taken his millions and did none of that. If any one of us contributes 1/1000000 as much to the world as that we'd be doing well.
Oh ffs, do some frickin basic research about the difference between livestrong.com and livestrong.org and how the livestrong brand is franchised between the two, and who makes the profit (duh guess who).
Old 05-20-11, 08:58 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Taqi
Oh ffs, do some frickin basic research
You do it for us, it can be your new startling Lance Expose. It will knock all this doping crap off the front pages.
Old 05-20-11, 09:00 PM
BummBull

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Orbea Lobular, Jamis Dragon 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correct, and nothing will really be further from the truth. But that will be the general public perception. The whole thing sucks very hard. A sleeping dog that should have been left alone to be sure. No good will really come out of this. I'd like to think this might help clean up pro cycling, but it won't. All it will do is destroy a national sports hero and a productive charity that raises lots of money and inspires lots of cancer patients and their families.

Your tax dollars @ work. Friggin Fed idiots.
I think good will come out. It shows even the best cheaters get caught so don't $@#@ cheat!
Old 05-20-11, 09:03 PM
Taqi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You do it for us, it can be your new startling Lance Expose. It will knock all this doping crap off the front pages.
It will only startle the naive, the stupid and the wilfully blind. A basic google search will enlighten you, otherwise keep drinking the kool-aid.
Old 05-20-11, 09:04 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If true the story is true, Lance is toast.

Originally Posted by learnmedia
Wonder how Armstrong's PR machine will respond. Landis and Hamilton were relatively easy marks in terms of attacking their credibility. Hincapie not so. As a matter of fact, he's pretty much beyond reproach.
This has been my hangup. If George says Lance did it, then I believe him. Landis and Hamilton have no credibility with me.
Old 05-20-11, 09:06 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Andreu on the dawn of the era of doping in pro cycling in the late 1990's:

“60 Minutes” also released an excerpt from another Armstrong teammate, Frankie Andreu, who said he took banned substances because lesser riders he believed were doping were passing him during races.

“Things were just getting faster and faster and sprinters were getting over the big mountains and winning, you know, climbing stages,” Andreu said in the interview. “There’s 200 guys flying over these mountains and you can’t even stay in the group. And it’s just impossible to keep up. And it’s like, ‘What the hell’s going on here?”’
Old 05-20-11, 09:09 PM
slipstream8

Bikes: 1998 Land Shark 853, Ibis Bow-Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will only startle the naive, the stupid and the wilfully blind. A basic google search will enlighten you, otherwise keep drinking the kool-aid.
Pcad prefers Hammer.
Old 05-20-11, 09:14 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

I prefer the Kool Aid.

I will agree with the Lance bashers on this: he really acted ruthlessly to anyone broke the code of silence, and in the end, he had all this coming to him. I still think it would have been better for all concerned if the Lance Myth had remained intact.

Another thing I have no control over. Carry on.
Old 05-20-11, 09:21 PM
Kevinative

Bikes: GF Level Betty FHO, GF Paragon, Raleigh Tomac, DB Interval, Scott CR1 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
So lets just continue with the status quo so any young rider who wants to succeed has no choice but to play the game because fixing the actual problem would hurt too much.
you missed my point, I'm all about the testing, read up a few lines from the bottom. and we are fixing the problem from what I can tell, but it's not going to happen overnight. the status quo has changed and continues to change. I'm no PED testing expert but from what I can tell pro cyclists are the most tested athletes, ever. to quote Huxley, wallowing in the muck is no way to get clean. focus on the present and future, not the past, that's my point.
Old 05-20-11, 09:25 PM
Taqi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still think it would have been better for all concerned if the Lance Myth had remained intact.
Fair enough. The problem is the myth is anything but intact, and for the sake of the good that comes out of livestrong (and to get rid of the bad) Lance now needs to do the right thing and to tell the truth.
Old 05-20-11, 09:28 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fair enough. The problem is the myth is anything but intact, and for the sake of the good that comes out of livestrong (and to get rid of the bad) Lance now needs to do the right thing and to tell the truth.
I can't see it happening. How many times has his defence been "you can't trust someone who tells one story for years and then changes their mind - they're lying"? Lance has constructed a pretty solid position that he can't move from.
Old 05-20-11, 09:34 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. It will interesting to see if Levi dished the dirt or not.
2. You can't ride over mountains for 3 weeks without peds - it's common sense.
3. Popovich will play a huge part in this. I think the stuff they got off his computer will implicate Tex.
Old 05-20-11, 09:42 PM
Kevinative

Bikes: GF Level Betty FHO, GF Paragon, Raleigh Tomac, DB Interval, Scott CR1 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BummBull
That alone enabled him to win the TDF 7 times? So, not the drugs?
that made the crucial difference between him and the rest of the field who were also doping during that time, i.e. his ability to endure suffering based on his battle with cancer and the 24/7 suffering he endured through all the chemo, poisoned to the gills to the point where he couldn't even move at times. Lance wasn't expected to live, although he was told he had a 30% chance. the Drs routinely saw ppl with less severe cases die. but he's a fighter, and he refused to quit. making sense yet?

in case you haven't read about it yet, a list was leaked to a french publication that ranks pro riders on a scale of 0-10 based on their history of blood test results. low being little suspicion of doping, higher being likely. Lance was on the low side of the scale, implying that many other non TDF winners have higher ratings. and what about Cancellera, who dominated the classics last yr and was accused of having a motor in his bike? he was rated 0 of 10. how's that for the status quo changing?
Old 05-20-11, 09:46 PM
Kevinative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BummBull
I think good will come out. It shows even the best cheaters get caught so don't $@#@ cheat!
then go after everyone, Indurain, Pantani, Cipollini, yeah destroy the history of cycling. where do you draw the line? and no, he didn't get caught, remember? he never tested positive.
Old 05-20-11, 09:46 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll say.

The last one out of Livestrong can turn out the lights.
If things get too bad, I hope Lance distances himself from Livestrong so it can continue. It has done a lot of good by raising awareness, fund raising, etc. Unfortunately, I fear that Lance is the sole driver of Livestrong. Without his support, or if his reputation is severely damaged (charged by Grand Jury, even if he is cleared) It is doubleful if he'll be able to continue Livestrong activities -- so much depends on his image and credibility: "Cancer Survivor, 7 time TdF winner, probable cheat."
Old 05-20-11, 10:01 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

The only way you stop doping in pro cycling is more effective testing and sponsors who absolutely make it clear there is a zero tolerance for it on their teams. That is starting to happen in pro ranks, I do think the sport has gotten to the point where it's 90% clean. Even if it's still just 10% dirty, that's a lot of doping scandals. You can't eliminate it entirely overnight, but I do think that over time it will become more and more apparent that doping is a no-win enterprise, and eventually most serious pros will stop trying. You can only hope.
Old 05-20-11, 10:06 PM
Taqi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beaker
I can't see it happening. How many times has his defence been "you can't trust someone who tells one story for years and then changes their mind - they're lying"? Lance has constructed a pretty solid position that he can't move from.
It is unlikely, but he could follow Floyd, and Tyler and now supposedly George (at least before the Grand Jury) and say "look, this is what we did, and this is what we had to do". There is an allegation of systematic, coach driven, doping in junior US cycling from the late 80's - Lance and Floyd and George and Tyler were also victims, and who knows how Lance's health was harmed by that. It is time for truth & reconciliation. I for one believe Lance could come out of this stronger (if poorer..).
Old 05-20-11, 10:10 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Several sources have told VeloNews that the show will reveal further bombshells, beyond those of Hamilton and Hincapie.
Old 05-20-11, 10:11 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Who needs the Giro when you have all this Lance Soap Opera?
Old 05-20-11, 10:13 PM
waikikihei
clean water

Bikes: Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
Or, his legal team has already planned for a worst case scenario.

F'n Lance, such a greedy little bastard. Wonder how Paul, Phil and Bobke will explain this away. Or Merckx for that matter. They were all such pals during the winning years, shoving each other aside to kiss Lance's ass. Bunch of lying pigs feeding at the same trough.

Pro cycling will be a black sport forever. Sucks for the cat one's and pro's riding clean, but that's life I guess.

Oh, and another thing for all you Lance lovers, his cancer was likely a result of drug abuse.
Old 05-20-11, 10:14 PM
Taqi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who needs the Giro when you have all this Lance Soap Opera?
Yep, it's really sad.
Old 05-20-11, 10:17 PM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
A few years ago Lance won a lawsuit against an insurance co. that had awarded him $5 million or so over some deal that he got a million or something for every tour he won. They refused to pay, claiming he had used drugs to win and the contract was thereby voided. He won the suit and collected the $ millions because back then no one would testify he doped. I wonder if they can reopen their case now and Lance wold have to pay back all that money plus interest.
Old 05-20-11, 10:22 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by waikikihei
Oh, and another thing for all you Lance lovers, his cancer was likely a result of drug abuse.
Boy that's stupid. But consistent with the rest of your drivel.
Old 05-20-11, 10:22 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
Several sources have told VeloNews that the show will reveal further bombshells, beyond those of Hamilton and Hincapie.
Hopefully, they will show that the mgt not only knows about it, but directs it.
I'm damed tired of mgt always putting on the show of being shocked when a rider is caught, and firing him, as if they had no idea it was happening.
So the rider gets hung out to dry, and mgt walks away w/o even being questioned.
Old 05-20-11, 10:24 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
Originally Posted by waikikihei
If that was true, the entire peloton would be in chemotherapy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.