Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 08:14 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Cut the steerer tube and now it's completely slammed. I wish I had a more agressive stem but FSA does not make an 8* or 12* degree stem and I like the match of bars, stem and seatpost. This has to be the most beautiful bike I've ever seen in the flesh. Including Colnago C60 tricolores etc. There is something about all the colors coming together that makes it beautiful in my eyes. It rides pretty good too .

i actually like the shape of that frame. but the branding is garish. paint is too much. skinwalls, in this instance, does not help as accent but highlights the business. setback post doenst work with saddle. bar to hood transition looks off. bike fitting with shimano than campagnolo.

4.5/10 because i like decimals
Old 04-03-17, 08:20 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Rifght? Like, Ho-hum, another gorgeous lady ... who needs to keep seeing them, right/

Ho-hum, just took Another bike ride. Why bother, right?

It is debatable whether black, in itself, is gorgeous, but the reason black is associated with elegance is due to the way it recedes and allows a well-built, attractive form to get the attention it deserves. But if it isn't a well-built, attractive form to begin with, making it black is not going to make it gorgeous. In fact, it's more likely to make it look homely.
Old 04-03-17, 09:31 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I like it and I feel it could be really hot. The nose tilted up on the saddle combined with the downward angle of your top bar and hoods gives it a peak sort of set up Like ^. So what I would have liked to see is the bars rotated up till the hoods were flat and the saddle flattened out. Have never cared for colored cable housing so I would have preferred black. Would also prefer to see black cages, but I understand the tie in factor to the saddle and bartape. Since everything else is logo free, the logo's on the stem need to go ASAP.

This is what I see. Red for the angles you have and green for what I would prefer to see on this.

Keep in mind those are just the things that my eye gets drawn to from a photography sense. Real life though, I may not have noticed.

Last edited by bianchi10; 04-03-17 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 10:28 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
I like it and I feel it could be really hot. The nose tilted up on the saddle combined with the downward angle of your top bar and hoods gives it a peak sort of set up Like ^. So what I would have liked to see is the bars rotated up till the hoods were flat and the saddle flattened out. Have never cared for colored cable housing so I would have preferred black. Would also prefer to see black cages, but I understand the tie in factor to the saddle and bartape. Since everything else is logo free, the logo's on the stem need to go ASAP.

This is what I see. Red for the angles you have and green for what I would prefer to see on this.

Keep in mind those are just the things that my eye gets drawn to from a photography sense. Real life though, I may not have noticed.
Loving the (over)analysis of my build, seriously I geeked out over this bike for many, many hours so it's refreshing to see someone else caring even 1/100th as much as I did.

From the front, there are actually a few logos visible:

I'm also partial to the WCS rainbow stripes (look up 'rainbow baby' if curious to my personal reasons for that, my son, born Oct. 27, 2016, was a triple rainbow baby) so they won't be coming off. I was tempted to do a full rainbow themed paint job but will likely save that for my wife's next bike, and to avoid potentially awkward encounters.

I knew the nose-up saddle would draw criticism but I couldn't post the bike in any other way than how I'd ride it. And I like my saddles slightly nose up. Bars are tilted as far up as I can stand (aesthetically and functionally) relative to the angle of the drops so that won't be changing. White cages were always part of the color scheme and in person, the gloss finish of the hubs, bar tape, and cages really goes nicely together. The saddle, unfortunately, is more matte in finish. Perhaps I'll move to a full carbon saddle with white gloss paint one of these days, but until I find something I like as much as the Arione it is here to stay. The white housing was a late entry to the build and heavily debated but as noted previously, I think I'm happy with it. I have some graphics in mind to break up the matte black theme but need to finalize them still.

To further the over-analysis, some of the angles in the photo may be skewed by how I shot the photo. I currently don't have any lens sharper and longer than my 105mm so I went with it. As a result, I had to adjust my shooting position from straight on to get the handlebar drops to line up (you can see the result of this by looking at the misaligned seat and chain stays). To me, having the handlebar drops aligned is mission-critical for a good bike photo so this compromise was worth it in the short term. I need to get my hands on a sharp 200-300mm lens (or backup and crop) so that I can shoot straight on and not have the perspective distortion of the shorter lens. I also need to figure out a way to prop the bike up so that I can move it further from the background to unclutter that a bit. Finally, I need to fix the slight angle of my cranks and rotate my front wheel properly to hide the valve stem so that I don't need to clone it out again.
Old 04-04-17, 03:55 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... those are just the things that my eye gets drawn to from a photography sense. Real life though, I may not have noticed.
Speaking of which, did anyone else glance across it and think for a moment it was missing a top tube?
And by the way, I know the straight-on side view is standard for good reason, but the angular view from the front in this case is more revealing of what makes this black bike different from others. I think such a view should be required as well. This is still a puzzling bike to me, but the additional view gives it some life and indicates some charm.

Old 04-04-17, 06:18 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
If you look closer.. front wheel is placed lower than the rear wheel.. perhaps that's why saddle/handlebar looks tilted.. or not.

BTW, the white saddle/bar tape combo works best when there is some white decals on the frame (or fork, or rims) to extend similar accents; minimal amount would do..

IMO, gumwall tires are ugly; better off with blackwall.

Last edited by cat0020; 04-04-17 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-04-17, 07:35 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Originally Posted by kbarch
Speaking of which, did anyone else glance across it and think for a moment it was missing a top tube?
I didn't until you mentioned it. Definitely need to reshoot!

And by the way, I know the straight-on side view is standard for good reason, but the angular view from the front in this case is more revealing of what makes this black bike different from others. I think such a view should be required as well. This is still a puzzling bike to me, but the additional view gives it some life and indicates some charm.
What is it about this view that makes you like the bike more? I like that all of the white elements are visible unlike the side view that obscures the rear hub. But otherwise this is one of my least favorite angles of the bike.
Old 04-04-17, 08:13 AM
joejack951

Originally Posted by cat0020
IMO, gumwall tires are ugly; better off with blackwall.
In my 20s, I hated gumwalls. I thought they were only meant for Schwinn Varsities and the like. As I've aged, gumwalls and particularly the 'cream' colored walls on these Vittorias, have really grown on me. I have true gumwalls on the Trek 660 and like them, too, on that bike. Most modern bikes covered in logos and such don't make for quite the right pairing with gumwalls, but I wouldn't consider anything else for the Hongfu or Trek.
Old 04-04-17, 09:28 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I am OK with everything on there including the white tape/saddle/cages. I see those white hubs and how it plays in. What I would love to see is someone photoshop this with black tires on it. The gumwalls look like an afterthought and it really takes away from the bike overall.
Old 04-04-17, 09:35 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is it about this view that makes you like the bike more? I like that all of the white elements are visible unlike the side view that obscures the rear hub.
That helps, but mostly I like the way it shows off the taper of the head tube and the general shapeliness of the frame.
Old 04-04-17, 09:50 AM
ravenmore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good looking build. Personally I don't like the saddle angle, gumwall tires, and not sure how I feel about the white saddle/bar tape/cable housing.
Old 04-04-17, 12:17 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think this is one of the best examples of skinwalls because they pair on rims with some fair depth and they set a pop from the stealth look.

Being that red and black is a pretty sinister combo that would have made for a great accent instead of white. That would be 9.7
Old 04-04-17, 12:27 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Not a fan of the white housings, cages, or hubs.

Those handlebars look tiny

Disc brakes look hideous on road bikes
Old 04-04-17, 12:55 PM
joejack951

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
The gumwalls look like an afterthought and it really takes away from the bike overall.
Poppycock

That helps, but mostly I like the way it shows off the taper of the head tube and the general shapeliness of the frame.
The bulging head tube is my least favorite part of this frame. The downtube also looks too big from the front, but alas, that's what you get with a modern carbon frame.

Originally Posted by ravenmore
Good looking build. Personally I don't like the saddle angle, gumwall tires, and not sure how I feel about the white saddle/bar tape/cable housing.
Wait, what do you like then?

Originally Posted by redfooj
I think this is one of the best examples of skinwalls because they pair on rims with some fair depth and they set a pop from the stealth look.

Being that red and black is a pretty sinister combo that would have made for a great accent instead of white. That would be 9.7
Someone gets my skinwall choice! I'll ignore the comments about how red would have made this bike better.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Not a fan of the white housings, cages, or hubs.

Those handlebars look tiny

Disc brakes look hideous on road bikes
Boo! The handlebars are pretty short and shallow. The upside is I get to run a 110mm stem (vs. 100mm, you know, for a better score in this thread) and I have plenty of saddle to bar drop at the hoods (for a better score, and it's quite comfortable for me) while still having usable drops. They are very similar to the Ritchey Classics I have on my Trek and those work very well for me. Less compact drops would likely have required I go to the next size up frame to make them usable (which is how I used to build my bikes) but I like the aesthetics of the smaller frame that the compact bars allow, among the other functional traits. The discs are function over form, but I'm not offended by them either.
Old 04-04-17, 05:00 PM
noodle soup

Boo! The handlebars are pretty short and shallow. The upside is I get to run a 110mm stem (vs. 100mm, you know, for a better score in this thread) and I have plenty of saddle to bar drop at the hoods (for a better score, and it's quite comfortable for me) while still having usable drops. They are very similar to the Ritchey Classics I have on my Trek and those work very well for me. Less compact drops would likely have required I go to the next size up frame to make them usable (which is how I used to build my bikes) but I like the aesthetics of the smaller frame that the compact bars allow, among the other functional traits. The discs are function over form, but I'm not offended by them either.
I'm just picking nits here.

I like the bike, but there are some things I would have done differently. The stem length/handler/frame size choice is one, but I understand your reasoning.

Disc brakes look strange to me on road bikes, but probably because I have no need for them. It rarely rains here. They look fine on the Disc Trucker I'm borrowing from a friend.

I sorta like the tire choice, but prefer the darker color that Continental uses on their GP Classics.
Old 04-04-17, 06:05 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Looks great, nice work. I think I'd prefer black housing too, but who knows... and those campag levers are hideous, but that's not your fault

Old 04-04-17, 06:20 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by GuitarBob
those campag levers are hideous, but that's not your fault
the levers are mounted a little lower than I would prefer.
Old 04-04-17, 06:49 PM
noodle soup

I sorta like the tire choice, but prefer the darker color that Continental uses on their GP Classics.
this is what I'm talking about

Old 04-05-17, 04:14 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Cut the steerer tube and now it's completely slammed. I wish I had a more agressive stem but FSA does not make an 8* or 12* degree stem and I like the match of bars, stem and seatpost. This has to be the most beautiful bike I've ever seen in the flesh. Including Colnago C60 tricolores etc. There is something about all the colors coming together that makes it beautiful in my eyes. It rides pretty good too .

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...66&oe=59611A82
Such a fun colour scheme, and a good overall setup. Count me as a fan, and I don't really like Specialized or Campagnolo in general.
Old 04-05-17, 08:25 AM
joejack951

I'm just picking nits here.
Of course. All of my responses have been in good fun. I love how the bike turned out so that's what matters.

I like the bike, but there are some things I would have done differently. The stem length/handler/frame size choice is one, but I understand your reasoning.

Disc brakes look strange to me on road bikes, but probably because I have no need for them. It rarely rains here. They look fine on the Disc Trucker I'm borrowing from a friend.

Yup, lots of personal preferences dictating the outcome. While the discs may look out of place, you can't argue that the seat stay/seat tube junction and fork crown don't look super clean, though, right?

I'm curious how those darker sidewalls would look. But Continental doesn't make them in a tubular so for these wheels, I'll be sticking with the Vittorias.
Old 04-05-17, 08:29 AM
joejack951

the levers are mounted a little lower than I would prefer.
I might have nudged them a tiny bit higher, too, but they are pushed all the way to the top of the 'no-slip grit' on the drops already. I think if I went any further I'd start running into the 'tops' section of the bars and my levers would get angled all wonky. I could rotate the bars up just a tad as suggested by others to correct the appearance there. But I know I won't like the resulting angle of the drops. So torn...
Old 04-05-17, 01:44 PM
vdub6541

Bikes: 1997 Romic Neo-Retro, 2015 Ridley Ignite 27.5, Mercier Nano

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hot. Love the paint.
Old 04-05-17, 01:51 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
This has to be the most beautiful bike I've ever seen in the flesh.

Then you need to get out more. Check out Two Hubs or Veloholic's Facebook pages.
Old 04-05-17, 02:22 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Then you need to get out more. Check out [web] pages.
oh, the irony.
Old 04-05-17, 02:27 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Then you need to get out more. Check out Two Hubs or Veloholic's Facebook pages.
to be quite honest, this bike does not photograph well (or the photographer sucks). I have seen many beautiful bikes and I will have to say that to me, this is the best setup I've seen. it does not ride as good as others might but as far as looks it's great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.