Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Favero Assiamo Power Pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-22, 06:47 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts

Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting a pair of power meter pedals and have decided on the Favero Assiamo's but I don't know whether to buy the Duo or Uno.
I like the idea of saving around $300 by buying the Uno's...$750/Duo, $460/Uno at Amazon...yes I know I can find them a bit cheaper and may but Amazon is easier to access.
What are your thoughts and suggestions?
Thank you,
K
Old 04-13-22, 09:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
My thoughts revolve around having no idea what your needs, plans, or goals are, but loving my Assioma Duos.

I like the accuracy of the Duos because I do my workouts across two stationary setups, each with hub power meters, so the on-road numbers match up more accurately. I also like the dual sided data, which help me manage my arthritic knees vis-a-vis performance.

With regard to Assiomas generally, one of the things I really like about them is that I can swap on SPD pedal bodies quickly and easily, which I do seasonally so that I can wear more secure MTB insulated boots in the winter. I use Xpedo CXR dual-sided pedals for that.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-14-22, 07:26 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use the Uno on my two road bikes. I chose the Uno because I'm a recreational cyclist and the extra data from the Uno versus the cost wasn't worth. it. The information I get tells me what I want to know.
Old 04-14-22, 07:49 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
There are old threads on this very topic, so if you do a little searching, you'll find a lot of info.

I have the Duos. At first I thought I had wasted my money compared to the Unos, because my L/R power was always pretty much 50/50 or very close for every ride. But then more recently I've been battling injuries and I go pretty far off 50/50 - to 57/43 for example. Apart from the inaccuracy in total power that the Uno would produce in these circumstances (pretty large), monitoring my L/R balance is now another way to judge how I am recovering from the injuries. So the Duo has worked out for me after all.
Old 04-14-22, 01:37 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I have the Duos for over 2 years, and I am very satisfied with them. The L/R balance from the Duos is vital info. Initially, I thought my right leg was the strongest, but the Duos indicated either neutrality or left left is stronger. Also the power is more accurate with the Duos. Not that all this is going to make me faster, but I like to records numbers.
The one problem I had was that unclipping was very hard. I could only unclip with my leg at 6 o'clock position, and with a lot of effort even at the lowest setting. This was a little tricky at stop signs or unexpected stops. After contacting the maker they said the springs would "soften up" which they didn't. Unclipping became easier as the cleat wore, but when I replaced them with new ones the problem returned. I decided to lubricate the side sliding surfaces of the pedals, and that solved the problem.
My son recently bought Duos, after convincing him not to buy the Unos. He also is very happy with them, and didn't have the unclipping problem I had.
Old 04-17-22, 02:52 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I bought the Duos when they first came out and now that I've had them for a number of years I don't think the duos were necessary over just the uno. Once you get a sense of your L/R balance you never look at it again. And I was just asking myself the question of whether I need this info anymore as I've gotten older. My power output has gone steadily down so what am I really proving to myself? I like knowing miles and HR, but power just isn't that useful anymore to me.
Old 04-20-22, 04:20 AM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I had the uno for 2 years and loved it, then they had a good sale and I bought the upgrade to duo. love it even more now. is it necessary ? maybe maybe not but I had the cash and went for it.
Old 04-20-22, 05:22 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
I bought a pair of Unos.
For my needs they seem to be perfect and if I decide to go Duo it is an easy upgrade.
Thanks for all the input.
I should have them tomorrow and will offer my thoughts when I get them on my Aethos and ride with them.