Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My nearly maintenance free new bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My nearly maintenance free new bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-21, 07:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by jhoff80
I know it's obviously not the geometry of a road bike, and the tires are more gravel-oriented, but do you find it to be sluggish at all (especially if I was to switch out the tires)?

I was looking at the Priority 600 with the pinion drive, but the gearing and the weight of that one seem to make it slow according to some comments I've read. And the Apollo Gravel seems to be backordered until Q3 2022. This is about 6 pounds lighter than the 600 (but obviously less of a difference once I added the fenders in) and has slightly higher gearing (Max of 111.4 gear inches vs the 600 at 100.7), so I wonder if that's less of an issue here.

I would be using this in an urban environment for commuting and recreation, but I do like to go fast when I can. I think I'd prefer flat-bar anyway (again, due to a city), so I'd probably be a little limited in how aero I could get anyway.
I just moved from a Priority 8 as a dedicated commuter/utility bike, going with a cyclocross bike that doubles as my commuter. The Priority was an awesome commuter - reliable, low maintenance, forgetaboutit dynamo lighting, fenders for year-round PNW commuting, plenty room for tires, upright seating for visibility. And boring as heck to ride. I could not describe it as anything approaching lively. But it's job was to transport me to/from work day in, day-out, rain or shine. It did that marvelously, albiet boringly. The cx bike is pounds lighter, race geometry, drop bar, 2x10 geared. It feels like a rocketship, and is decidedly not boring.

I'll make no recommendations; when I bought the Priority I wanted reliable. After 5 years of reliable, I wanted something a little more fun.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-05-24, 09:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,641 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Route 66
I guess I'm just anal about oil changes because there are so many ways a technician can screw things up. Examples would be for them to over-tighten the filter or drain plug or to leave the filter or drain plug too loose. Also they could add too much or not enough oil. When I do it myself, I know it's done right and I don't have to give it another thought after I'm done.
I changed the oil on my 70s and early 80s sports car every 3000 miles or annually if I didn’t roll over 3000 since the last change. Considering the cars hold 12 quarts of oil (air cooled cars) that is a lot of premium oil. I was super anal about staying on top of everything maintenance-wise and for vintage cars, they were faultless. I only have one of those cars now, and am a bit burnt out. The good news is that I made money on all cars and the last one has appreciated 100% but intend to hold onto to it since classics continue to appreciate.

The only person I trust/ed to change the oil and valve adjustments on my cars is a friend of mine who has been a professional classic car mechanic/restorer for 50 years. He built the motor on the car I am keeping and know he will do the job right every time.

Old 03-05-24, 09:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why?
A real concern for carless folk who live in snow country. In my Boston and Ann Arbor years I loved my fix gear for it ability to always get me home after drive-side crashes from ice or snow.

My question - is the shift cable vulnerable to that crash damage where it enters the hub?
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-06-24, 12:34 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A real concern for carless folk who live in snow country. In my Boston and Ann Arbor years I loved my fix gear for it ability to always get me home after drive-side crashes from ice or snow.

My question - is the shift cable vulnerable to that crash damage where it enters the hub?
Uhm... first off, this is a recently awakened zombie thread, indiyfabz made that comment years ago. Secondly, seriously? You may wish to consult the millions of downhill bikers, and mountain bikers, complete with all sorts of cables, brakes lines, derailleurs, etc., hanging off their bikes. They seem to manage, and I will venture to guess their bikes take a bit more abuse than your bike does commuting in snow. In fact, I commuted in snow with a 1984 Ross Mt. Rainer, still have it, and it is still in excellent condition. I never gave it a second thought.
Old 03-07-24, 10:21 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

We'd need a right side view to know for sure, but I think not. If it's like the Shimano Alfine 11, the shift cable enters not in perpendicular to the hub like the old Sturmey-Archers, but wrapped around the hub inside the dropout.

Here's a top-down view of that; you can see the shift cable toward the bottom of this pic: (Shimano Alfine 11)

BTW, I have a Priority Apollo 11 incoming; can't WAIT to never do chain maintenance again! (though I will order a spare belt and try to find a compact 15 mm box wrench...)
Old 03-07-24, 04:59 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I will say this, your bike looks spot on
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 03-08-24, 02:19 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Out of my eight bikes the one I ride the most has belt drive, hub gears and *solid* tyres. It also happens to be the slowest and least comfortable. I'm not really into maintenance. Don't own a car either.
Old 03-11-24, 07:13 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
My favorite part about belt drive is the smoothness and quiet. Admittedly I don't ride it a ton, but as a single speed belt drive bike it's just.... silent when pedaling.
Old 03-11-24, 08:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by slow rollin
Admittedly I don't ride it a ton, but as a single speed belt drive bike it's just.... silent when pedaling.
Similar to my single speed chain drive bike- that thing is dead silent when pedaling, as all single speeds should be.
Old 03-12-24, 09:48 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by slow rollin
My favorite part about belt drive is the smoothness and quiet. Admittedly I don't ride it a ton, but as a single speed belt drive bike it's just.... silent when pedaling.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Similar to my single speed chain drive bike- that thing is dead silent when pedaling, as all single speeds should be.
I got yelled at on the MUP yesterday. There were two ladies walking together: a young thin one and a fat older one with a stroller. The fatty with the stroller was randomly weaving all over the path. I waited for my chance, then passed her on the left. The thin one yelled "We can't hear you!" as if that entitles them to randomly take the whole path unless there's an audible warning. I've found that if I yell "on your left", half of these idiots walk left, right in front of me. If I ring a bell, the other idiots can't hear me anyway, as they have their ear buds in.

I need to get one of those air horns that has a compressed air tank and really blast those phone zombies.

Meanwhile, I start to understand the guys in my club with the super-loud freewheels... (I hate the sound of them, though)
Old 03-12-24, 12:17 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Is there any inefficiencies/drag with your drivetrain that you can notice?
I am intrigued by the 11 speed Alfine, but wonder if there are any slight negatives to the positives that a derailleur-less system brings?
I'd estimate the belt costs you about 5% and the IGH costs another 5%, compared to a well-maintained & lubed chain 10sp.
10% sounds like a lot, but if you're just cruising to work or to the farmers' market, who really cares? A neglected chain will cost you much more than 10%.

Source: own a Globe Live 3 (belt drive with Alfine 11), Globe Live 2 (chain drive with Alfine 11), and multiple bikes with 7800 drivetrains.
I used to love it when riders who'd been drafting off me for miles would pull alongside at stoplights and ask where my battery was.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-12-24, 12:32 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
I got yelled at on the MUP yesterday. There were two ladies walking together: a young thin one and a fat older one with a stroller. The fatty with the stroller was randomly weaving all over the path. I waited for my chance, then passed her on the left. The thin one yelled "We can't hear you!" as if that entitles them to randomly take the whole path unless there's an audible warning. I've found that if I yell "on your left", half of these idiots walk left, right in front of me. If I ring a bell, the other idiots can't hear me anyway, as they have their ear buds in.

I need to get one of those air horns that has a compressed air tank and really blast those phone zombies.

Meanwhile, I start to understand the guys in my club with the super-loud freewheels... (I hate the sound of them, though)
You don't need an airhorn. You're going to run into the meandering, left-walking idiots every now and then, but thankfully they're in the minority. With some exceptions, we live in a civil society. The unskinny bish was trying to make a point. Don't let it land. Be civil to everyone.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-12-24, 03:52 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
My chain drive system is dead quiet, most of my hubs are dead quiet, some are not, but the bikes with quiet hubs all you can hear from those bikes is the tires on the pavement, or the tires crunching leaves.