Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

From your personal experience is this Bike Speed by Age chart correct?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

From your personal experience is this Bike Speed by Age chart correct?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-22, 09:45 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
1) The study was a small group of triathletes over a few years presumably training to near their max potential FTP. But it's consistent with research that shows VO2 max decreases pretty steadily with age (until it goes to 0). If your VO2 max is higher than your age group you have a 'younger' fitness body.
2) Everyone ages differently and it's affected by exercise, diet, amount of booze you drink blah blah blah. We don't know the error bars of the study.
3) I don't think 5.4w/kg is unreasonable for possible FTP for an average healthy man in their late 20s/early 30s with the right nutrition, training, and disciple. We used to have this debate all the time when I was racing: Are the pros made or are they born? By your own admission you didn't train when you were 40 so we'll never know.

Anecdotally it seems close for me, I raced Cat III in my early thirties and while I didn't have a power meter I know my weight, times, and course distances for various TTs and hill climbs from my cycling journals. I've estimated my FTP to be about 300W when I was 30, today it's closer to 240W so the formula fits for me considering I'm also about 5kg heavier a quarter century later.
I have read many times that a famous exercise physiologist, the one who coined the term FTP, saying 4 w/kg is attainable for either the genetically gifted or those who work really hard for years. Very, very few riders could ever reach 5.4 w/kg. I would link the quote from Coggan but we are not allowed to post links on BF.

Coggan's answer......this is what the" average joe" can achieve with very good training

3.9 W/kg

4-4.5 W/Kg would put an oldie like me on the podium at Nationals.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-23-22, 12:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I peaked in my mid-50s, but even now in my mid 60s I haven't lost enough to take me back to my mid-40s. Based on my experience, the chart is garbage.
Old 02-23-22, 05:07 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I have read many times that a famous exercise physiologist, the one who coined the term FTP, saying 4 w/kg is attainable for either the genetically gifted or those who work really hard for years. Very, very few riders could ever reach 5.4 w/kg. I would link the quote from Coggan but we are not allowed to post links on BF.

Coggan's answer......this is what the" average joe" can achieve with very good training

3.9 W/kg

4-4.5 W/Kg would put an oldie like me on the podium at Nationals.
You realize that experts are often wrong, even about their own creations? Coggan perhaps underestimated the effects of training or had limited data. This statement seems to be made when there was not a large data sample of 'serious' cyclists with power meters. Let's explore!

Originally Posted by big john
You seem to be saying that an average healthy man can be a world tour pro? Or, at least, train to that level?
The nature vs. nurture question is always interesting to me across all sports. For cycling, I think the answer might be yes. However if one is average physically (i.e. average maxV02, average build) you need exceptional discipline and drive to achieve the goal, a kind of singular focus that most people simply don't possess.

Lets look at some data from cyclinganalytics.com, which is not a random data set but self selected 'serious cyclists'. Below is self reported FTP for males in Watt and W/kg plotted, we don't know the age, since it's self reported it maybe skewed right a bit. That is why say your FTP is 3.91 when you can say it's 4.0? Here 25.4% of cyclists are reporting an FTP of 4.0 or greater corresponding to 290-300W. That's 1 in 4 of 'serious cyclists', which implies, to me at least, 4.0 is quite achievable with training and you don't have to be especially genetically gifted. Looking further 3% of cyclist report FTP of >5 or greater then 350W. So an FTP of 5 seems like it might be obtainable with proper training among serious cyclists because 3% of all serious cyclists is a pretty large number of cyclists suggesting that it's not exclusively the .1% genetic freaks of nature achieving this metric.

OK, there is what people report versus what they do. I looked up some TT in Zwift as reported in Zwiftpower.com, so it's powermeter data but self-reported weight, I ignored a few riders with their weight set to 56kg (the lowest Zwift allows I think) and calculated the percentage of riders with FTP >5

TT#1, 40km, 123 riders, 5 riders >5 FTP (4%), 8 riders >350W (6.5%), about 25% here had >4FTP
TT#2, 10km hill climb, 39 riders, 2 riders >5 FTP (5%), 3 riders >350W, 10 riders (26%) had >4FTP

It appears that Zwift TT results seem consistent with the cyclinganalytics.com numbers.

I don't think it answers the question, but does shine some light on the frequency of high FTPs and since an FTPs of 4~5 isn't that far out of the normal distribution of FTPs it might be achievable by a young man starting with an average maxVO2.

Old 02-23-22, 05:43 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight, and I don't have any power data for myself, but I always felt the world tour pros were a pretty select group. Not just the physical gifts but the mental ability to live that life. And I think most of the great climbers we have seen have been smaller people. It's rare that I have seen a great climbing recreational rider who is anywhere near my weight (currently 200 pounds).
For me to hit 5.4 watts per kg I would have to make over 480 watts. When I was younger and riding I was 10kg heavier than I am now.

The two charts you posted seem to be in line with what I was thinking. It's an interesting discussion and here is another thread about FTP. How common is 300w for an hour? - Bike Forums
Old 02-23-22, 08:45 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Average speed is a useless metric anyway.
QFT

...or, as I liked to remind the cyclists I coached, "Average Speed Is For Average People."

But seriously, any reference to average speed on a ride that does not further qualify it with info about
- total elevation gain,
- mean, median, & max gradients,
- road surface types,
- whether one is riding solo or in a group,
- how experienced in group riding that group is
- what you ate for breakfast

is beyond useless; it's actually misleading.

Chart is stupid.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 02-23-22, 09:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross

Chart is stupid.
About this, we seem to have rare unanimity.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-24-22, 04:18 AM
GhostRider62

You realize that experts are often wrong, even about their own creations? Coggan perhaps underestimated the effects of training or had limited data. This statement seems to be made when there was not a large data sample of 'serious' cyclists with power meters. Let's explore!

The nature vs. nurture question is always interesting to me across all sports. For cycling, I think the answer might be yes. However if one is average physically (i.e. average maxV02, average build) you need exceptional discipline and drive to achieve the goal, a kind of singular focus that most people simply don't possess.

Lets look at some data from cyclinganalytics.com, which is not a random data set but self selected 'serious cyclists'. Below is self reported FTP for males in Watt and W/kg plotted, we don't know the age, since it's self reported it maybe skewed right a bit. That is why say your FTP is 3.91 when you can say it's 4.0? Here 25.4% of cyclists are reporting an FTP of 4.0 or greater corresponding to 290-300W. That's 1 in 4 of 'serious cyclists', which implies, to me at least, 4.0 is quite achievable with training and you don't have to be especially genetically gifted. Looking further 3% of cyclist report FTP of >5 or greater then 350W. So an FTP of 5 seems like it might be obtainable with proper training among serious cyclists because 3% of all serious cyclists is a pretty large number of cyclists suggesting that it's not exclusively the .1% genetic freaks of nature achieving this metric.

OK, there is what people report versus what they do. I looked up some TT in Zwift as reported in Zwiftpower.com, so it's powermeter data but self-reported weight, I ignored a few riders with their weight set to 56kg (the lowest Zwift allows I think) and calculated the percentage of riders with FTP >5

TT#1, 40km, 123 riders, 5 riders >5 FTP (4%), 8 riders >350W (6.5%), about 25% here had >4FTP
TT#2, 10km hill climb, 39 riders, 2 riders >5 FTP (5%), 3 riders >350W, 10 riders (26%) had >4FTP

It appears that Zwift TT results seem consistent with the cyclinganalytics.com numbers.

I don't think it answers the question, but does shine some light on the frequency of high FTPs and since an FTPs of 4~5 isn't that far out of the normal distribution of FTPs it might be achievable by a young man starting with an average maxVO2.

Yes, you did not make your point.

Have a look to average people, not a small group of highly fit and talented racers on ZwiftPower or Cycling analytics.

Take average VO2 max data and make some analysis off those numbers.

FTP of 5.4 W/Kg is not remotely obtainable by average people as you suggested.

An average young male has a VO2 max of 45 ml/kg. If and that is a big if, they can increase it by 30% to 58 ml/kg and if they can ride at 85% fractional utilization (FTP percentage of VO2 max), they would be around 3.8.3.9 W/Kg. Many riders are closer to 80% of VO2 for their FTP, I was around 90%. If Joe average trains for many, many years.....they might achieve 4.2 W/Kg. But.....never in a million years would Joe Average get to 5,4 W/Kg with a calibrated scale and PM at least.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-24-22, 09:35 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
GhostRider62 One final thought: maxVO2 is not athletic destiny. Training is more important. It’s what you do with that oxygen that matters. If you take two athletes with the same maxVO2 but one is better trained, the more fit athlete will produce more power and go faster. The oxygen to power conversion rate is not fixed and more affected by training, not by nature. Some studies like this one show cycling power and efficiency aren’t that dependent on max VO2. If we knew the max VO2 of the Zwift power, cyclinganalytics, or trainerroad databases I suspect we would find a poor correlation to maxVO2. These are about the best data we have on a large number of average guys reporting their cycling results that are publicly available despite the self-selection limitations. If you know of better ones publicly available let me know and I’ll happily take a look.

While many elite cycles have really high VO2 there are some that do not. Mark Cavandish’s is said to be much lower than his peers in the pro peloton.

And yes, you do really need many years of hard, dedicated training to reach your ultimate potential irrespective of your innate ability. You have to put in that Malcom Galdwell 10,000 hours of perfect practice. This is true to master just about any discipline.
Old 02-24-22, 09:52 AM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Do you think this chart is correct and what are your personal thoughts? I have been passed by lots of people whom I think are 65 or older doing 15 mph plus.

Average cycling speed by age: A Detailed Analysis | Decline Magazine

Average cycling speed by age
An average is just an average. There is also a lot more that determines speed than just age.
Almost anyone you encounter will be going slower or faster than what the table has for their age.
Old 02-24-22, 10:19 AM
big john

Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts

While many elite cycles have really high VO2 there are some that do not. Mark Cavandish’s is said to be much lower than his peers in the pro peloton.
What Cavendish does is quite different than what elite climbers do, (I'm sure you know this). Sprinters are more about the 30 second power than the watts/kg thing.
Assuming Cavendish is an exceptional athlete and one of the best of his generation, he still can't ride with the climbers and suffers through the mountain stages.

Chris Hoy is said to make 2500 watts during a sprint but I'm sure even a mediocre world tour climber would drop him in the mountains. On the other hand, the best climbers in the world wouldn't have a prayer against Hoy on the track.
Old 02-24-22, 10:53 AM
GhostRider62

GhostRider62 One final thought: maxVO2 is not athletic destiny. Training is more important. It’s what you do with that oxygen that matters. If you take two athletes with the same maxVO2 but one is better trained, the more fit athlete will produce more power and go faster. The oxygen to power conversion rate is not fixed and more affected by training, not by nature. Some studies like this one show cycling power and efficiency aren’t that dependent on max VO2. If we knew the max VO2 of the Zwift power, cyclinganalytics, or trainerroad databases I suspect we would find a poor correlation to maxVO2. These are about the best data we have on a large number of average guys reporting their cycling results that are publicly available despite the self-selection limitations. If you know of better ones publicly available let me know and I’ll happily take a look.

And yes, you do really need many years of hard, dedicated training to reach your ultimate potential irrespective of your innate ability. You have to put in that Malcom Galdwell 10,000 hours of perfect practice. This is true to master just about any discipline.
So, you still think 5.4 W/kg is attainable for the average joe?

Aerobic capacity is most certainly a limit. Very few can put out 5.4 W/Kg EVEN if you gave them 100% utilization. As I said, training can and certainly increases that utilization. Few get to 85% of VO2 max as their FTP.

I really don't care to discuss further, you are really wrong but who cares.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-24-22, 02:59 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
That chart is total B.S. I'm 66 and I consistently ride at 16-18 mph. I wonder how the hell they came up with those stupid numbers.
Old 02-24-22, 03:05 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
You realize that experts are often wrong
Sooooo.... if experts are OFTEN wrong. What hope do you have of being right if you are not an expert? Very slim to zero maybe?

If your hypothesis was correct, then we would see an awful lot more riders with a 5.4 W/kg FTP than we actually do. Coggan's 3.9 W/kg target for the average well trained cyclist is far more in line with my own experience.

I don't see how you can interpret 3% of all serious cyclists >5 W/kg as being proof that ANY AVERAGE healthy guy has the ability to produce that level of cycling performance. That's nonsensical when you are looking at data from a self-selected group who are strongly inclined toward performance cycling. Yet only 3% of them are able to get near.

Of course there are plenty of serious cyclists above 4 W/kg (lets say 25% is accurate and I believe it is from my own experience), but those are not really AVERAGE guys are they? I would say I'm slightly (and I mean very slightly) above average, genetically speaking, and the 4 W/kg target is just about my limit with very focused training and discipline. So I seem to fit Coggan's target pretty accurately. Either that or I've been leaving about 1.5 W/kg on the table, which I seriously doubt.
Old 02-24-22, 03:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
4 w/kg is enough to do Mt. Diablo in an hour. It's also more than enough to win a Cat 3 race. Does that describe 25% of serious cyclists?
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-24-22, 07:31 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Any article like that that does not state how the information was collected, is not worth reading. There is nothing of value.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 02-25-22, 06:08 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
I wasn't that fast then, and I'm not that slow now, so...
Ditto

Which bike? Mountain bike, my '92 Schwinn Paramount refitted in 10-spd, my Soma touring bike, our Seven Tandem, or (yikes) my Blue T-12 tri bike where I sometimes podium 'cause there ain't very many in my age group?

Asking for a friend.
Old 02-25-22, 09:35 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
No.
Old 02-26-22, 02:35 AM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Okay the chart is wrong but I'm not 30. Interestingly other charts are like it.
I work from home. I'm 62. At lunch I did 24.5 miles in 1 hr 35 minutes.
After dinner I fell asleep. Maybe if I were 30, I would be heading out with my family or tinkering in the garage.
Old 02-26-22, 11:10 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Okay the chart is wrong but I'm not 30. Interestingly other charts are like it.
I work from home. I'm 62. At lunch I did 24.5 miles in 1 hr 35 minutes.
After dinner I fell asleep. Maybe if I were 30, I would be heading out with my family or tinkering in the garage.
Yep, my rides average 25 miles and take @ 1 hr 30 mins and that includes the 5 min break at the top of the mountain where there's an awesome viewpoint.
Old 02-27-22, 06:20 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Any article like that that does not state how the information was collected, is not worth reading. There is nothing of value.
This is where I am. He justifies none of his base data, and none of his conclusions. I see no reason to see that there is anything of value.
Old 03-05-22, 09:33 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Didn't bother loading that suspect spreadsheet. I'm 60-years old. Am I slower than I was when I was 30? Yes. How much? Haven't bothered to try to objectively measure it. Maybe 2%.
Old 03-22-22, 03:36 PM
soloman

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
It's nonsense. No rules.
Old 03-22-22, 04:01 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I stopped scrolling the totally BS content when I saw this " ... professional bikers and cyclists can hit the 16 to 19 mph mark easily." Are you effing kidding me?!? As a 52 YO, I'd be a top pro if this was true

FFS, I can hit 16 to 19 mph with a fatbike on a snow trail. Reference, this Toad is the KOM: https://www.strava.com/segments/16643929
Old 03-22-22, 06:23 PM
Bosco13

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 18 Posts
The chart is likely legit based on the individuals they studied/surveyed, but meaningless if we don't.
Old 04-15-22, 09:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
So, this habit of measuring cycling performance and statistics has not been my thing for the last 25 of my 35 cycling years. But half a lifetime of recreational+ cycling and one might wonder about power and where one fits relative to other cyclists.

Lots of thoughts in above posts. Since many subscribe to Joel Friel's belief here is what he said regarding the question:
"Athletes often ask me what should my FTP be?" (no definition given for 'athlete')
Joel does state FTP as measured over an hour of output. [not 95% of a 20 minute effort]
Then he qualifies with "It Depends", but offers a quick & dirty for calculating a wattage based on body weight, age, gender.
Estimating Your FTP - Joe Friel (joefrieltraining.com)

For Men.
Body weight (pounds) x 2
SUBTRACT 0.5% for every year over 35.

At age 70, weight 190 pounds = not an Athlete
but let's continue
380 subtract 17.5% (67) =.313

Joel says I need to crank 310 watts to be an Athlete as a fat 70 yo rider.
Compare that to the chart offered in initial post which says some group of 70yo riders output less than 90 watts. Big difference.

Who is right? Who knows? It depends!
More food for thought....

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-15-22 at 11:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.